Author Topic: Vintage Racing @ Loudon, NH, TEST RODE Harley Pan America & BMW R18  (Read 520 times)

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
The U.S. Classic Racing Association FIM North American Vintage Road Racing Championships are happening today and tomorrow at at the racetrack in Loudon. This was my first road race I’ve ever been to—went to my first flat track race 2 or 3 years ago when AFT came up through Loudon for the first time. Here’s a quick shot of one of the races. There was a Tonti Guzzi out there, not sure the model, but looked like a T3 or maybe 1000S. Was rocking black and green.

There were sidecar races, too! But...Bummed to see only two machines in the events. One was a BMW, the other a Norton. Introducing the bikes before the second race, the announcer called the Beemer a Guzzi. I shouted at the small group of folks in the stands with me, “If that’s a Guzzi, it must be really hot out, ‘cuz those heads are drooping!” That was my 5 seconds of “cool guy”. Anyway, that BMW sure was a gorgeous rig. The Norton rig belongs to a husband-wife team from Australia or the UK—wasn’t quite paying attention to the accent, too focused on the husband telling me I should enter my Ural into the races. Anyway, the wife’s the monkey. Sigh, I think I need a rig monkey girlfriend.

Got to test ride a Harley Pan America and BMW R18. I never thought I’d say this, but in this case, I preferred the Harley over ze German. The R18 is full of muscle and engine braking is significant, but it also made me wonder if I was always in the right gear. And you guys with big cruisers...I don’t know how you all make those slow and tight turns. I rode one with the 19” front, and I’m betting that I would’ve been more comfortable with the 16” versions. I won’t lie, I was intimidated to ride such a beast. The ergos also proved why I’m not a fan of cruisers—I just don’t get how anyone finds legs-forward AND back-forward to be comfortable for more than 15 minutes.

The Pan America, although also bigger than my normal cup o’ tea, was much more a treat to ride. It’s not quite flickable in the twisties, but it’s darn close enough. Definitely a mile-eater, and the transmission was quite smooth and forgiving. The exhaust shield still let a good amount of heat get to my right shin, but I like to hug bikes below the waste. Only thing it was missing for me was knee pads.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:34:17 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Vintage Racing @ Loudon, NH, TEST RODE Harley Pan America & BMW R18
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 10:47:57 AM »
Sounds like a good day.

Are those Kevlar lined pants?  Kevlar not only helps in a slide but also protects from the heat coming off bikes.

Leather boots of at least 10 inches with shin protection help also.

Look at some “ride like a pro” videos. If he says a bike doesn’t handle well at slow speeds then it doesn’t. He and his graduating students can do amazing things on on those large bikes.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: Vintage Racing @ Loudon, NH, TEST RODE Harley Pan America & BMW R1
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 11:41:53 AM »
Sounds like a good day.

Are those Kevlar lined pants?  Kevlar not only helps in a slide but also protects from the heat coming off bikes.

Leather boots of at least 10 inches with shin protection help also.

Look at some “ride like a pro” videos. If he says a bike doesn’t handle well at slow speeds then it doesn’t. He and his graduating students can do amazing things on on those large bikes.

Not Kevlar, just super tough and hardy cordura (snicker). The pants are Klim’s Outrider, quite a fan of them as they have knee and hip armor, with the knee pads being adjustable/removable from outside. Would’ve been great to have Kevlar, I agree.

And yes to the boots, too!I threw on my minimalist sneaks once I got to the demo meet. Can’t argue that boots wouldn’t have helped deter heat.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here