Author Topic: Toe Shifter for Californias  (Read 876 times)

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
Toe Shifter for Californias
« on: June 12, 2021, 11:44:06 PM »
Is there a toe only shift available for the Californias? I've never really liked the heel-toe shifter on my Cal Spec. With the heel of my boot locked on to the foot peg I find lifting it and moving back to heel shift too cumbersome.

Thanks,

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Loop Tonti EV

Re: Toe Shifter for Californias
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 06:05:03 AM »
I wear size 14 boots. Needles to say, I cut the heel part of the shifter off a long time ago.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 08:15:21 AM »
I don’t particularly use the heel/toe shifter all the time myself. What worked for me was by using the linkage adjusters raise the toe part high enough so my booted toe slips easily under it as well as it lowers the heel part low enough that it really does not interfere with my foot position.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 09:46:57 AM »
I don't see how anyone can upshift a Cal with floor boards unless they use the heel shift.  Hardly anyway to get your toe under the toe shifter and have any leverage to upshift. 

I typically use my toe to upshift by kicking the heel lever. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 09:46:57 AM »

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 09:49:01 AM »
Toe & heel forever!
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 10:16:23 AM »
I don't see how anyone can upshift a Cal with floor boards unless they use the heel shift.  Hardly anyway to get your toe under the toe shifter and have any leverage to upshift. 

I typically use my toe to upshift by kicking the heel lever.

Makes sense, but I don't have floor boards.

-AJ
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:17:19 AM by AJ Huff »
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 10:18:50 AM »
Makes sense, but I don't have floor boards.

-AJ

hack saw
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 11:59:10 AM »
Appreciate the replies. I guess I was hoping for a more elegant solution, something aftermarket or off another Guzzi model, or maybe that it was a past part available from a dealer.

Thanks

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 01:58:34 PM »
The debate of the heel/toe shifter has been going on for 40 plus years. I wear a size 15 cow pasture pump (cowboy boots) and don't want to mess up the toe on a $500 boot.

It is your ride and cut off the heel shifter as some riders have been doing for 40 years that I know off.

I like the heel shifter, but that doesn't mean it is the best thing,
Tex

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 02:33:02 PM »
I can't abide the heel-toe shifter on my Rocket iii, but I like the setup on the California Touring.

Upshifting with the toe is a little bit awkward because of the angle of the shifter in relationship
to the floorboard.

Easy to change, though  - the rear portion just unbolts if you don't like the heel portion of the program.

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 02:48:05 PM »
Seems like most of you have floor boards? How's that work, the heel shifter is behind the back edge of the floor board and you just slide your foot back and rock your heel down on the edge of the board?

Seems like a dumb set up for foot pegs.

I'll try maximizing the height of the toe part as has been suggested.

Thanks,

-AJ
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 03:10:30 PM by AJ Huff »
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2021, 03:05:57 PM »
My 2018 Eldorado has a heel toe shifter , but the heel section is simply screwed on . Mine is unscrewed and that's the way I like it . Peter
So I'd suggest ordering one for an Eldorado , you may even be able to order it without the screw on heel section .

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2021, 04:14:29 PM »
The pedals are little more forward on the 1400 models.  I never got comfortable with it. 
John L 

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 12:03:41 AM »
AJ,

I have just looked at a picture of what I think is your shifter/peg in another thread. FYI: My Guzzies have floorboards and heel/toe shifters. Love 'em!

Why can't you just use the toe end? Is it too low or high or too long to reach comfortably? Is the heel end in your way?

If it's too low, you could adjust the linkage rod to bring it up. If not enough adjustment, make a shorter rod. If the heel is in the way, cut it off and paint the end to protect the metal.

I do not know if there is another shifter with toe only available. You could go to Benders or Harpers site and look through the parts books and see if there is something from another year/model that might work. But it new or used and see if it will work.

Good luck,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 05:14:07 AM »
AJ,

I have just looked at a picture of what I think is your shifter/peg in another thread. FYI: My Guzzies have floorboards and heel/toe shifters. Love 'em!

Why can't you just use the toe end? Is it too low or high or too long to reach comfortably? Is the heel end in your way?

If it's too low, you could adjust the linkage rod to bring it up. If not enough adjustment, make a shorter rod. If the heel is in the way, cut it off and paint the end to protect the metal.

I do not know if there is another shifter with toe only available. You could go to Benders or Harpers site and look through the parts books and see if there is something from another year/model that might work. But it new or used and see if it will work.

Good luck,
Tom

I have the same issue with my 02 cali stone. If I get the toe part adjusted how I like it, the heel part hits the back of my shoe. Maybe its a peg vs. board bike thats the issue. I havent cut mine yet, but I really need to.
Paul B

Offline nbags

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 05:45:41 AM »
i have same bike had to cut rod down a little to be able to up shift (get under shifter) I kind of like it better that way

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 10:03:39 AM »
I have the same issue with my 02 cali stone. If I get the toe part adjusted how I like it, the heel part hits the back of my shoe. Maybe its a peg vs. board bike thats the issue. I havent cut mine yet, but I really need to.

That sums it up pretty well. I've always just used my toe. But the heel is really an annoyance than anything. I don't want to cut mine, but maybe a used one. I don't want to do anything irreversible. Like I said, had hoped there was a familiar, more elegant solution. I did learn that a California with foot pegs seems to be unfamiliar to most of you. I guess that separated the Special and Special Sport from the other Californias.

Right now I have it adjusted to easily toe down to down shift. To get my toe under I have to kind of swing my toe around and under. I think if I raise the toe higher then getting under would be easy but I'd have to do some foot gymnastics to down shift. All compromise I guess. Do I want it to be easier to down shift or up shift? But my heel fits between the foot peg and the back of the shifter and that's a PITA. Overall it just seems like a poor design, even poor shape.

'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 10:25:11 AM »
Fleabay, or the classified section here for a used one. Cut it to make you happy! I think you need one for foot pegs, not sure if a floorboard version is the same.

With floorboards. The clearance is usually too small to get your toe under. You always lift your foot off the board to shift up or down, you don't pivot your foot like my BMW or HD. I've never given this any thought, but I think the pivot of the shifter is farther forward making the heel end natural to hit it.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here