Author Topic: Leaving MG for a bit...  (Read 3520 times)

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Leaving MG for a bit...
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2021, 07:03:23 PM »
 :thumb:
Keep us updated on that thing!
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2021, 08:09:00 PM »
And your KLX will never be as agile as a bicycle.

I just see the mission of a KLX or that 500 whatever, or honestly even that Ascot I referenced as different than the mission of a V7 or a slew of other bikes.

Again I'm not pooing on other choices. Those Husqy's look pretty damn cool and I bet they're a ball for instance. Just different.

And I have to admit maybe my size and strength have something to do with it because I don't feel the steering is in any way slow on the V7. Personally I find it nimble to the point of occasionally twitchy.

I guess that depends on what YOU define the mission to be.  The mission of the V7 cane range from scrambling (Stornello, or Rough), to corner carving (Racer), to around town (special or stone) to light tourer (mmranch's V7).

The mission of the Super Moto can be all of the above as well, as long as you stay off the interstates, but is primarily focused on tight rods with less than smooth pavement to gravel and dry trail work.

You would find the SM real twitchy if you find the V7 occasionally twitchy.  The SM requires light inputs to not over do it.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2021, 09:31:58 PM »
I guess that depends on what YOU define the mission to be.  The mission of the V7 cane range from scrambling (Stornello, or Rough), to corner carving (Racer), to around town (special or stone) to light tourer (mmranch's V7).

The mission of the Super Moto can be all of the above as well, as long as you stay off the interstates, but is primarily focused on tight rods with less than smooth pavement to gravel and dry trail work.

You would find the SM real twitchy if you find the V7 occasionally twitchy.  The SM requires light inputs to not over do it.

The back roads where I live can be 70+ and you need to ride interstate to get to something interesting.

My Honda Ascot would have been borderline useless here and definitely not sufficient for my needs.

A SM, unless it was equipped with knobbies for use in the deep sand of the 100,000+ acre woods (Wharton) would not meet my needs either.

And though a V7 CAN be used in ways similar to a SM, it's not the right tool for the job anymore than it's a "touring" motorcycle (I bet that is gonna trigger a mental midget). My V7 is like my Sportsters. Jack of all trades, master of none.

That said if there's one thing it excels at, that's nimble handling on curvy backroads.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2021, 06:35:11 AM »
The back roads where I live can be 70+ and you need to ride interstate to get to something interesting.

My Honda Ascot would have been borderline useless here and definitely not sufficient for my needs.

A SM, unless it was equipped with knobbies for use in the deep sand of the 100,000+ acre woods (Wharton) would not meet my needs either.

And though a V7 CAN be used in ways similar to a SM, it's not the right tool for the job anymore than it's a "touring" motorcycle (I bet that is gonna trigger a mental midget). My V7 is like my Sportsters. Jack of all trades, master of none.

That said if there's one thing it excels at, that's nimble handling on curvy backroads.

Glad I live where I do.    Obviously you would need one of the more powerful Super Moto's I posted in my first response for where you live. 

If one needs knobbies, one should buy a dual sport instead of a super moto. 

Have you ridden in Tennessee yet?  Tennessee definitely isn't New Jersey.  I had an opportunity to transfer to Fort Mammoth years ago, and a coworker who did relocate told me I made the right choice not accepting the position. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2021, 06:35:11 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2021, 07:04:22 AM »
Glad I live where I do.    Obviously you would need one of the more powerful Super Moto's I posted in my first response for where you live. 

If one needs knobbies, one should buy a dual sport instead of a super moto. 

Have you ridden in Tennessee yet?  Tennessee definitely isn't New Jersey.  I had an opportunity to transfer to Fort Mammoth years ago, and a coworker who did relocate told me I made the right choice not accepting the position.

Ha ha yet? Yes many times over the years. Hell I had my 96 RK in 30 states in the two and a half years I owned it. Let's see TN, I believe I had my first Sporty there, my Jackal, my third and fourth Sportys, maybe my Breva, pretty sure my R1100.... My current RK....
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2021, 12:17:42 PM »
Hay Todd

I dropped the forks on my V7II , 25mm (1") and made it feel like a different bike .   You've got a while till spring , do some experimenting while your waiting on spring !   :grin:

Ya got nothing to loose and a lot of pocket change to save !   :wink:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 04:45:03 PM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline ToddK

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2021, 07:07:42 AM »
Lot to think about, I truly appreciate all of your input everyone! What a great community!
I have lowered the forks, which definitely improved turn in. Have not, however, replaced those crappy tires that I can't stand... I'm really starting to waffle now, haha.

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2021, 07:17:49 AM »
I have heard that replacing the tires makes an outsized difference in that model, even more so than just the fact that it is new rubber.  Keep us in the loop on what you decide to do.
Blue Guzz

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2021, 04:46:58 PM »
Comparing the radials to the stock is like waffles to pancakes. Same material just dramaticly different results.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2021, 12:34:09 PM »
Comparing the radials to the stock is like waffles to pancakes. Same material just dramaticly different results.

I prefer the stiffer sidewalls of Bias Ply, and definitely pancakes over waffles. 

For me, Bias Ply tires provide more of a feel like riding on rails, but do require better suspension components to compensate for not having softer sidewall tires.  I guess it depends on the type of ride you are looking for.

I am even pickier about car and truck tires.  If there is any lag in response the tires are getting swapped out.

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline ToddK

• New Egg
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2021, 08:44:55 AM »
For those wondering, still have the Milano! Just couldn't do it...
I have, however, just put a deposit down yesterday on a new Aprilia Tuono 660 Factory. Hoping to be able to keep both once Spring arrives and I HAVE to make a decision.

photo upload site

Offline Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2021, 09:05:16 AM »
* Scratches head *

Never ridden one (never actually seen one until I just googled it).

But that's a dirt bike for all intents and purposes? Isn't it.

I mean my Honda Ascot 500 VT was arguably more agile than the V7 but it was a useless distinction cause even in my late 20's I couldn't ride it 50 miles without standing at every light for relief. If THAT'S your definition of agile, I don't want it.

Not poo pooing the OPs desire for something else. Have at it that's all good. I just don't agree with the characterization.

It may look like a dirt bike but it isn't. It weighs as much as a small child and corners as if on rails. Very comfy and has a surprisingly tall seat. Great for A and B roads but not much fun on the motorway. OK for short stints though.

Here's mine tucked away for the winter.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:10:52 AM by Sye »

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2021, 09:43:10 AM »
Everybody here understands where you're coming from Todd, good luck with the shopping and keep us posted, please.

Sarah

Yes I believe a lot of us have been there.
I remember a couple of those occasions one was when I felt I just had to have the BMW K1300 S I lived with that monster for 2 seasons before realizing those missiles command a special type of restraint.....I don't posses :laugh: in order to retain your driving papers.
The last incident was a few years back when I found myself a victim of the KTM 790 marketing group............. I really wanted that to happen until the dealership let me borrow a new one for the afternoon.
Apologies in advance for those that have one and love it. That machine was probably the most soul less appliance I have ever had the misfortune of riding..... and I've ridden a few.
Your probably going to surprised at what your next machine will be sitting in the garage.

No matter what enjoy the process.

Ciao

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2021, 10:53:52 AM »
Agile, cost effective, comfortable and stump pulling torque that is a real smile generator:

I was gonna say, I've LOVED the 3 Buell Lightning City X bikes I've owned. Not the highest HP or torque, but so fun in the twisties.

Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2021, 11:15:42 AM »
I really liked the two V7 models I owned, still close to being my favorite Geese.  But it get it that you’d like to try something different.   Says the guy who has owned over 34 or more different bikes in the last 19 years   :grin:
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline ToddK

• New Egg
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2021, 12:35:30 PM »
I like the look of that, SYE! Very sharp!

Almost bought a Buell Lightning back when there were a few new ones left to be had , dirt cheap. Kicked myself for a while that I didn't pull the trigger.

I di buy, and then sell, a little KLX 230 this past summer. I just didn't ride it as much as I thought I would, and trail riding as I get a bit older isn't nearly as fun, or safe, without another rider.

That little 660 just seems like exactly what I'm looking for, of course time will tell...

HIGHLY doubtful I'll sell the little gray goose. New tires before next season for sure, however.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here