Author Topic: New Vincent flim  (Read 610 times)

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
New Vincent flim
« on: May 26, 2022, 10:54:44 AM »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New Vincent flim
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 01:46:38 PM »
 :thumb:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 02:07:01 PM »
Thanks!  I sent this to my father in law, who had a couple of Black Shadows.  I wish he still HAD them!
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline guzzler

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 03:56:37 PM »
I'd love to get a copy of this when it comes out!
Or at least just to be able to see it....
Cheers Guzzler

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 03:56:37 PM »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 04:00:03 PM »
It was the fastest motorcycle design of its time. Therefore one can’t help to wonder, why did the design not continue, even to date?

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 04:16:50 PM »
It was the fastest motorcycle design of its time. Therefore one can’t help to wonder, why did the design not continue, even to date?

I understood Vincent Motorcycles were built up to a standard, not down to a cost.  As someone who operates on a similar business model, I can attest to how difficult it is to remain in business.  I don't even have employees....

Lots of folks talk a good show about only having "the best" but most of them will choose the cheaper option 99.9% of the time.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 06:07:01 PM »
Maybe it might show up on the 'tube. One other film had the trailer and about a year latter the movie, if I read the 'ubue dates right.

Might be interesting.

Why is it not still being built.... Lets see at the time a Triumph cost Y to buy one for a toy or as your only means of transport to your job. Vincent costs YYY and is not bought by the average working Joe.

Supercars didn't cost what they do today when they came out years ago, but they were not for the masses even back then. Now new or classic are just stupid prices.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 06:45:39 PM »

Because there's an overdose of "legend" here. Vincents had their engineering weaknesses as well it's just Vincent owners are heavily invested in promoting the "legend".
I once read a Journalist who wrote, "the reason friends that own Vincents won't let you have a ride on their bike is because if you did you'd find out just how ordinary they actually are and the "Legendary" bubble would be burst" Prosecuting the case that in fact by modern standards a massively overrated motorcycle and it's really all about Vincent owners trying to keep a "legend" alive.
Ducati 750 "green frames" are another example. By modern standards agricultural at best but Ducati people and GF owners still try and prosecute the cause they are the best sports bike in history, sigh.
As the great Phil Schilling once wrote on the same theme, great bikes are "of their time" not across "all time". Some just have an investment in trying to make it the latter.

Ciao       
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 06:55:22 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 07:28:32 PM »
Because there's an overdose of "legend" here. Vincents had their engineering weaknesses as well it's just Vincent owners are heavily invested in promoting the "legend".
I once read a Journalist who wrote, "the reason friends that own Vincents won't let you have a ride on their bike is because if you did you'd find out just how ordinary they actually are and the "Legendary" bubble would be burst" Prosecuting the case that in fact by modern standards a massively overrated motorcycle and it's really all about Vincent owners trying to keep a "legend" alive.
Ducati 750 "green frames" are another example. By modern standards agricultural at best but Ducati people and GF owners still try and prosecute the cause they are the best sports bike in history, sigh.
As the great Phil Schilling once wrote on the same theme, great bikes are "of their time" not across "all time". Some just have an investment in trying to make it the latter.

Ciao       
That’s the only answer that makes sense to me on the subject 👍

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 09:31:27 PM »
Well my old man had a Black Shadow. He sold it and bought a Sunbeam S7. Unfortunately he died 25 years ago so I can't ask him why.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 11:55:49 PM »
Well my old man had a Black Shadow. He sold it and bought a Sunbeam S7. Unfortunately he died 25 years ago so I can't ask him why.

Don't get me wrong I'll see the movie as it will be interesting. I do think however I'll be rolling my eyes at some of the rubbish that will be proffered by the "keepers of the legend" such as the high quality and perfection of the engineering. It's quite well documented that much of the machinery in the factory was very worn and dilapidated and it caused major production/quality issues at times and certain designs were unable to be produced due to a lack of production machinery to do the job.
Engineering wise they at one time or another had issues with seizing valve guides in the double guide system and failures of the crowded roller big end assembly. Both eventually resolved. My conclusions are drawn from my memory of 40 years ago when I was very interested in classic bikes and did a lot of research and read a lot about all the manufacturers and had a fair amount of contact with these bikes. Back then I came to the conclusion that there was quite a wide gap between the legend and the reality, and not only with Vincent.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 07:47:20 AM »
In late 90's or early 2000's, when I was still occasionally buying Classic Bike and Motorcyclist magazines, there was an article about UK motorcyclist licensing restrictions with comparison of "the best" classic & antique bikes to modern machinery.  iirc, both the Vincent Vtwin and the drum brake V7 Sport (Guzzi content) were very low on their list when quantifiable performance stats were taken into consideration.   The author concluded by such stats that these machines would be considered beginners bikes by the licensing authorities, which greatly contradicted their legend.  I've still got the magazine somewhere.

Post-war factories equipped with worn-out machining equipment is regularly mentioned as a problem across the British motorcycle industry, especially among smaller firms.  In the pre-CNC days, i would imagine it being a very slippery slope working in a fully analog manner and adapting to small variations on the fly that continue to vary requiring more adaptation until the situation is simply no longer viable.  Pride doesn't pay bills.  If your business model is not profitable to afford needed updates, you're done.

Hindsight is always much better- especially now that it's so easy to compile spreadsheets worth of accurate data, find obscure parts, machines, past/current owners and more in an instant.  It can be easy to forget how different it was before the internet when so many "known" things were only anecdotal with limited basis in fact or reality.  Fast then isn't necessarily fast now, either.  Time moves on..

1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here