Author Topic: V7iii USB socket  (Read 3236 times)

Offline grame99

• New Egg
V7iii USB socket
« on: March 30, 2019, 05:31:35 AM »
My dealer mechanic said yesterday that rather than pay through the nose for the official Guzzi connecter i could get an after-market option from Ebay. Does anybody have any of these? Does anybody know the connector type I need to look for?

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
Re: V7iii USB socket
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 05:45:51 AM »
I think there are generic ones that hook on to your battery and would be routed up to your dash or bars, whatever you want to do with it. Don't quote me on it but I cant imagine it being too hard to pull off
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 06:01:13 AM »
You have a number of choices, depending on what you want. What I wanted was an unswitched power outlet that would be easily accessible any time I needed it.

This is what I have, although I got it from my dealer: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorcycle-Waterproof-12V-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Phone-GPS-USB-Power-Charger/136091657?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2961&adid=22222222227058688865&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=162971524309&wl4=aud-482018033502:pla-300036297804&wl5=9015277&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113509951&wl11=online&wl12=136091657&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwp_zkBRBBEiwAndwD9XDfemz1RKPVr4m-3O1uyn6D8Mj7-vOv1v8aMo9dyiicLUjL_DYFCBoCd_oQAvD_BwE

(This link was the first one that came up.)

I wired it directly to the battery and added an in line fuse. (Might have come with one, I can't recall.) I like this because I don't need to remove the seat or have the ignition on if I need to do a quick charge to my cell or bluetooth speaker, etc. As you're probably aware, there are USB adapters for the round 12 volt power outlet as well. That way I have a pretty decent amount of versatility for my charging needs.

Revzilla, and others, have a USB that plugs into an SAE plug: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/battery-tender-usb-charger

Here is a link to a variety of solutions: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-power-adapters

You would still need to have a wired connection to your battery. You may already have such a plug under your seat for hooking up a battery charger.

If you want a switched outlet then you will need to locate a circuit you can tap into that is only energized when you have the key on. Just note this method curtails your ability to charge stuff.

John Henry
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:02:40 AM by Zoom Zoom »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 06:12:57 AM »
Google "waterproof USB Socket", you need one that will convert 12 Volts to USB. It doesn't have to be waterproof if you have a dry area for it. you might also fit a cigar lighter socket and plug in one of the $5 ones you see at the supermarket counter, just plug it in when needed.
I assume there's a prewired spot on the V7 otherwise I connect it to the City Light bulb so it gets powered down when the key is Off but You can leave it on with the park light.

As John Henry says the type that plugs into the SAE connecters are nice
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:17:45 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 06:12:57 AM »

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 06:13:37 AM »
I installed this one from Amazon on the center of my handlebars. Wanted one with an on/off switch since it's direct wired to the battery. Unbolt the rear of the tank and lift it a little to fish the wire through.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F37JV5M/ref=twister_B07MFPC51D?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 06:39:12 AM »
I installed this one from Amazon on the center of my handlebars. Wanted one with an on/off switch since it's direct wired to the battery. Unbolt the rear of the tank and lift it a little to fish the wire through.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F37JV5M/ref=twister_B07MFPC51D?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

This appears to be a fancier version of the one I first linked to. That is pretty nice! :thumb:

John Henry

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 06:45:05 AM »
A quick thought on any in line fuse. If the fuse is located at some mid point in the wire, it is wise to make certain it is accessible! When I have found they end up in a bad spot, I eliminate that one and add one as near the battery as possible. Frankly, as near the battery as possible is simply good practice in any case, but you want to be able to get to it without tearing the bike apart on the road.

John Henry

edit: I also install my own SAE connector if there is not one.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:46:27 AM by Zoom Zoom »

Offline grame99

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 12:53:03 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!

So, if I get this right, there's a switched black and orange cable that's designed for the official Guzzi USB kit. Does this have a propitiatory connection or is it generic?

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 02:22:11 PM »
The 1TB V7s have a GPS plug hidden under the ignition cover. Don't know if the IIIs still have this, but thought they (also) had a power take off under the seat. That plug at the headstock is the same as that used by Mercedes, BMW, Audi as part of their Micro-Quadlock System the extension cable is Mercedes Part # A230-540-01-66, BMW part # 83300402344. Or the plug can be cut off, and another connection substituted.

These are likely to be switched lines - go off with the ignition. For USB, I find  unswitched more convenient - plug in the phone/tablet overnight while camping, not enough of a current draw to affect starting in the morning. I've wired mine directly into the battery - one to the headstock (so I can use the phone as a GPS on occasion) and one under the LHS passenger footpeg. Powerlet sells kits.
I'd advise against cigarette lighter style connector - they are not robust - go with the BMW style DIN sockets (a much better connection), &/or SAE. And for both of these, adapters are available for almost anything you could think of.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline AZRider

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 06:24:22 PM »
My personal preference is to have a USB socket that switches off with the bike hardwired and mounted up by the handlebar phone holder, and carry one of the USB-to-Battery Tender sockets for the rare times I need to charge while the bike is not running. I am just paranoid about the thing being on all the time.
On my bikes, I go the extra mile and add a small secondary fusebox for all the accessories. I hate having a stack of things on the battery terminals, so one wire powers the entire fusebox. www.Aerostich.com sells some very fancy ones that have built in relays to switch on when the bike comes on, and even a version where some accessories can stay on while others go off with the bike ignition. I just invest the time in making my own with a relay and a compact fusebox from the auto parts store. Then it's tidy to add driving lights, heated grips, and whatever other bad ideas flit through my brain.
Trying out the motorcycle life from the other side of the counter.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here