Author Topic: Shortening the Stelvio center stand... need a measurement.  (Read 6010 times)

Online radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
The '14 Stelvio that I brought home has been lowered, The NTX was given a shorter rear shock, forks run up through the triples to match and the proper sag achieved.

I like it that way actually however, getting the rig up onto the center stand is a bit of a chore for my 5'-8", medium build frame.

Could a late model Stelvio owner kindly measure the distance between the bottom of the tire to the ground while up on the center stand and post that measurement...? 

I can then shorten the existing stand by the delta using that figure and the distance I have with the Stelvio on the center stand equipped with lower suspension.

Thanks for any assistance here.

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
Re: Shortening the Stelvio center stand... need a measurement.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 06:18:35 PM »
Could a late model Stelvio owner kindly measure the distance between the bottom of the tire to the ground while up on the center stand and post that measurement...?

1.5 inches

Online radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 06:56:14 PM »

Thanks Daniel,
The rear tire of this one is right at 3-1/4" off the deck...

I will need to engineer the cut to relocate the deploying arm and fortunately the snubber will not need to be moved.

Thank you sir.
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline tonyduc

• Gosling
    • Staccato Cycle
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »
The NTX was given a shorter rear shock

What was the shock used to lower the rear? I was thinking of the same mod for height as long as the handling is not substantially altered. How does the bike handle?

Thanks
2011 Stelvio -white
1976 T3
1996 Ducati 900ss CR
2017 Yamaha XT250
1966 Ford Bronco

Former
1969 Ducati 450 SCR
1984 California II
07 Honda VFR
71 CL350
08 Ducati 848
05 Ducati M620
80 Yamaha XS650
73 Suzuki TC100

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 02:24:03 PM »
What was the shock used to lower the rear? I was thinking of the same mod for height as long as the handling is not substantially altered. How does the bike handle?

Thanks

I've read in previous threads on the subject that the Griso shock will lower the rear, and is a bolt on. 

Apparently the Beemers & More guys in Fort Collins have done this to quite a few Stelvios.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 04:55:16 PM »
Radguzzi,
Time for a write up and photos.
I am looking for a stelvio and I'm 5`8" with a 30 " inseem, or around 3 inches too short to put both feet on the ground.
I sure I'm not alone.
Parts used, adjustments made and any other mods required etc.
No pressure at all.
Its worth a virtual beer or 3 :grin:

Cheers
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 05:40:15 PM »
The '14 Stelvio that I brought home has been lowered, The NTX was given a shorter rear shock, forks run up through the triples to match and the proper sag achieved.

I like it that way actually however, getting the rig up onto the center stand is a bit of a chore for my 5'-8", medium build frame.

I can then shorten the existing stand by the delta using that figure and the distance I have with the Stelvio on the center stand equipped with lower suspension.

Thanks for any assistance here.

Best,
Rob
Maybe you're all over this rad guzzi, but remember if you shorten the stand by "x", you'll lower the rear wheel by 2x that figure 'cos the stand is halfway between the wheels. I'd be likely to get a couple of bits of wood about 1" thick and run the bike up onto them, then see how the stand feels, if the rear wheel remains clear of the wood, then that'd be the amount I'd go for, give or take allowing also that the stand isn't dead vertical.

Offline TobyJug

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 11:26:18 PM »
In the meantime - take your luggage off and it'll be easier to put on the stand.

2014 Norge GT 8V

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 12:18:06 AM »
Maybe you're all over this rad guzzi, but remember if you shorten the stand by "x", you'll lower the rear wheel by 2x that figure 'cos the stand is halfway between the wheels. I'd be likely to get a couple of bits of wood about 1" thick and run the bike up onto them, then see how the stand feels, if the rear wheel remains clear of the wood, then that'd be the amount I'd go for, give or take allowing also that the stand isn't dead vertical.

Ah, PRACTICAL engineering...yes, I like that approach. Oh, and what's all this about a virtual beer? I would think this would call for tequila.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 06:31:58 AM »
Ahhh...my kind of Stelvio. At 5'3" 135# with a 28" inseam most adventure bikes are rideable, just not what I would call enjoyable long term. If handling were not grossly affected that is...
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Online radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 02:50:35 PM »

Thanks

Tony,
The replacement is a Mãtris shock, fully 1" lower with the forks set at the same dimension and the proper sag achieved for a 180-190 pound rider for the original owner and I happen to fit.  All work performed by the dealer.  Good folks too.

The handing is spot on, I just spent the day in the Western Hills here dancing around the curvy back roads and the Stelvio is both compliant and absorbs the bumps of which we have many here and tracks perfectly.  I do not over drive the Stelvio, everything and everyone has limits however, I do ride aggressively when on these roads and the NTX is performing very well...  for me.

Best,
Rob

Radguzzi,
Time for a write up and photos.
I am looking for a stelvio and I'm 5`8" with a 30 " inseem, or around 3 inches too short to put both feet on the ground.
I sure I'm not alone.
Parts used, adjustments made and any other mods required etc.
No pressure at all.
Its worth a virtual beer or 3 :grin:

Cheers

Pete,
See above,
I'll shoot some photos but what do you want to see...? The shock...?  The new ground clearance...? 

You know I like Heineken, right..?  And Guinness...  :)

Rob ~ aka radguzzi

I was not all over this, thanks for the info regarding the ratio to cutting and resulting outcome.

When I did try the bits of wood thing in the garage to try out how far off the deck the rear tire would be, it came out to 3-1/4" clearance.
The previous owner did carry a chunk of 2 x 6 to deploy it that way but I don't think I want to do that.

I may need to look for a used stand on flea bay and cut that one... there was a fellow that totaled one a year or so ago here also, I'll look him up.

Thanks,
Rob

In the meantime - take your luggage off and it'll be easier to put on the stand.

Toby,
That would make no real difference here at least for me, the side cases are not the issue, it is the shear weight of the motorcycle to heft up onto the stand, I cannot do it without the 2 x 6 or for the long term, cutting the stand.

Ciao,
Rob

Ah, PRACTICAL engineering...yes, I like that approach. Oh, and what's all this about a virtual beer? I would think this would call for tequila.

Yeah, you know me...  oh and an IPA from your favorite watering hole would do it Norm... ;)

radzo__

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 04:28:58 PM »
FWIW as the PO I you are over thinking this. The bike has been lowered by 1' front and rear so simply shortening the stand by 1" will put you back to a "stock" relationship. What I did while I had the bike was roll the rear tire onto a 10-12" length of 2x4 and then deploy the stand. I carried the same piece in the top box when traveling. I actually liked the increased ground clearance for performing some maintenance short of putting the bike on a lift table. What was a bigger concern to me and s0mething I would have modified had I kept the bike was the side stand. The Stelvio sits fairly upright as stock and with the lower suspension it is very precarious. Deploying it on the shoulder of a road you could loose it. I found myself scouting out suitable places to stop with a slope on "the drivers side".

Offline spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 04:34:09 PM »
Oops, I meant 1" lower front and rear not 1'

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 05:20:25 PM »
" I do ride aggressively when on these roads... "

I've seen you ride. You get aggressive just pulling it up to the gas pump, much less " when on these roads "
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Online radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 06:20:59 AM »

What was a bigger concern to me and s0mething I would have modified had I kept the bike was the side stand. The Stelvio sits fairly upright as stock and with the lower suspension it is very precarious. Deploying it on the shoulder of a road you could loose it. I found myself scouting out suitable places to stop with a slope on "the drivers side".

Steve,
Right, I have been very aware to watch for the ground slope where I park the Stelvio.  You describe the exact thing that I would be afraid of, having a right foot in the soft shoulder when pulling the stand up and ooops, over she goes...! 

I will look into shortening that stand before the center stand, I don't see ever putting the ride height back to stock.

Overall, I need to say that I am really diggin' the NTX...

Thanks,
rd

" I do ride aggressively when on these roads... "

I've seen you ride. You get aggressive just pulling it up to the gas pump, much less " when on these roads "

Hey, those pit stops are as important as the ride ya know...

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 10:28:19 AM »
Hi, Rob.

Interesting.  I also have a concern about ride height on my Stelvio, so I bought the Matris shock and a second hand side stand to shorten.  If the bike doesn't sell, I plan to proceed with the mods, so will follow this topic  with interest .

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Online radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 07:50:14 PM »
Hi, Rob.

Interesting.  I also have a concern about ride height on my Stelvio, so I bought the Matris shock and a second hand side stand to shorten.  If the bike doesn't sell, I plan to proceed with the mods, so will follow this topic  with interest .

Cheers,
Shaun

I'll keep you posted Shaun,
The side stand is not going to be a big ta-do, hack off about 3/4 " and reweld the pad back on.  I will need to be careful not to chop off too much at a whack though due to that first bend.

More later,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Online radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 07:24:22 PM »
I installed the Rox Riser and Man, what a transformation...  Just enough rise and set back to really make a difference.  No cable or hose issues.
Initially I was going to install a narrower set of bars also but this is very comfortable.  I'll ride it this way for a few days to figure out whether I do change the bars or not.

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 10:07:55 PM »
Rob and/or spmoto, what was done at the front to match the suspension drop at the rear?  I had originally planned to raise the sliders in the triples, but they are not a constant diameter for the whole length, and have relatively small areas were the triples can be tightened.  I assume this is done  to minimize weight.  I'm thinking that springs must have been changed?

Thanks,
Shaun

PS: I'm supposed to be selling my Stelvio, not thinking about how to improve it.   :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:20:05 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Online radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 06:49:03 PM »
Rob and/or spmoto, what was done at the front to match the suspension drop at the rear?  I had originally planned to raise the sliders in the triples, but they are not a constant diameter for the whole length, and have relatively small areas were the triples can be tightened.  I assume this is done  to minimize weight.  I'm thinking that springs must have been changed?

Thanks,
Shaun

PS: I'm supposed to be selling my Stelvio, not thinking about how to improve it.   :Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

Shaun,
Steve (spmoto) tells me and I can see for me-self that the fork legs are up through the top trees by one (1) inch to match the decrease in length of the Matris shock...  I am not entirely certain what took place for setting the sag. 

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 08:56:55 PM »
Shaun,
Steve (spmoto) tells me and I can see for me-self that the fork legs are up through the top trees by one (1) inch to match the decrease in length of the Matris shock...  I am not entirely certain what took place for setting the sag. 

Best,
Rob

Hi, Rob.

It really doesn't look like there is enough room there to move it an inch, but I will take a look again.  It is also possible that someone adjusted it a bit already, I suppose. 

Thanks for the info!  I did a 400km ride on the bike yesterday and really enjoyed it.  For my short inseam, though, I think the 1" drop would make a world of difference!

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline tonyduc

• Gosling
    • Staccato Cycle
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 11:19:22 AM »
Tony,
The replacement is a Mãtris shock, fully 1" lower with the forks set at the same dimension and the proper sag achieved for a 180-190 pound rider for the original owner and I happen to fit.  All work performed by the dealer.  Good folks too.

Rob, which Matris shock did you use http://www.bellissimoto.com/MatrisShocks.html ? The least expensive is $1,000, but may be worth it in the long term.
Thanks
2011 Stelvio -white
1976 T3
1996 Ducati 900ss CR
2017 Yamaha XT250
1966 Ford Bronco

Former
1969 Ducati 450 SCR
1984 California II
07 Honda VFR
71 CL350
08 Ducati 848
05 Ducati M620
80 Yamaha XS650
73 Suzuki TC100

Online radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »
Rob, which Matris shock did you use http://www.bellissimoto.com/MatrisShocks.html ? The least expensive is $1,000, but may be worth it in the long term.
Thanks

Hey Tony,
The Matris installed on the Stelvio is the KE-HYD model as supplied by Todd at GuzziTech...  http://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/griso-ke-hyd-monoshock/

It was dialed in for Steve's weight which happens to match my weight so that was a plus.

The handing of the Stelvio is spot on, with the suspension set up the way it is, even with the slightly shortened travel of the NTX the bumps are not a drama...  I am diggin' it.

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline tonyduc

• Gosling
    • Staccato Cycle
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »
Hey Tony,
The Matris installed on the Stelvio is the KE-HYD model as supplied by Todd at GuzziTech...  http://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/griso-ke-hyd-monoshock/

It was dialed in for Steve's weight which happens to match my weight so that was a plus.

The handing of the Stelvio is spot on, with the suspension set up the way it is, even with the slightly shortened travel of the NTX the bumps are not a drama...  I am diggin' it.

Best,
Rob

As a follow up to this post, I just installed a Matris KE-HYD from Guzzitech, specific for the Stelvio. I requested 1" lower than stock. Install was easy except that the only way to install is from the top, the reverse of the removal of the stock (you also need to temporarily remove the plastic pan beneath the battery to make room). There's instructions on Guzzitech in the Stelvio folder on removal, but not the unobvious install for this shock - but I am not complaining. I also lowered the front forks 0.75" as recommended by Todd. Great results, like a new bike for me as far as height! And there is no compromise to handling. Not sure if I would spend the $1200 + just for the improvement in the shock itself, but for the ride height it is worth it to me.
2011 Stelvio -white
1976 T3
1996 Ducati 900ss CR
2017 Yamaha XT250
1966 Ford Bronco

Former
1969 Ducati 450 SCR
1984 California II
07 Honda VFR
71 CL350
08 Ducati 848
05 Ducati M620
80 Yamaha XS650
73 Suzuki TC100

Offline Pazzo Gatto

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 01:43:25 PM »
I cut my OEM rear spring down to lower it about 1.5 inches.  Also, swapped in some 17" rims/tires from a Norge.   Had to cut down both side and center stands as a result.  Hope these are of some help:

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here