Author Topic: NGC - RIP Ronnie Spector  (Read 907 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
NGC - RIP Ronnie Spector
« on: January 13, 2022, 12:34:13 PM »
She passed away yesterday at 78 years old.  RIP, Ronnie.
 I purchased a fundraising package thru the Northern Ohio ALS Association a few years ago that included an LP, and the first song on the A side was "Say Goodbye to Hollywood," with vocals by Ronnie and instrumentals by the E Street Band.  Enjoyed listening to Ronnie.

Bob

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Spector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j6T6O1JjbI

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 06:19:44 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC - RIP Ronnie Spector
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 01:02:47 PM »
The Ronette's were a little before my time. But she was a great singer with a powerful voice. May she rest in peace. :bow:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 01:20:35 PM »
Always loved to hear the Ronettes sing “Frosty Da Snowman”.
She had a really bad life at one time being involved in a bad relationship. It’s a really sad story.  However life turned around for her in her later years in life.

Dan

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 01:55:11 PM »
What is the standard for reporting deaths? Never heard of this gal. Yet, when I report the death of the best actress in history, Vanessa del Rio, all hell breaks lose. Even the late great Todd Haven said she was tops in her field.

Tex

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 01:55:11 PM »

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 02:17:49 PM »
What is the standard for reporting deaths? Never heard of this gal. Yet, when I report the death of the best actress in history, Vanessa del Rio, all hell breaks lose. Even the late great Todd Haven said she was tops in her field.

Tex
TT, the Ronettes was a 3 female group that was very popular in the 60s.
They had several top 10 songs and hits. Ronnie was the lead singer.
I don’t know your age group but I believe most all of us guys nearing our 70s know these ladies as well enjoyed their fine songs and hits.
I hope this answers your questions, Sir.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 02:19:31 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 02:46:40 PM »
Thanks Dan. I'll be 79 Feb 1. Never had radios on the farm tractors and the trucks were so noisy you couldn't hear a radio if you had one. We didn't get a TV until 1955 and the picture was terrible. Our entertainment was fighting among ourselves or going to watch rasslen matches at the VFW or fairgrounds.

Thanks for your work as moderator. Hope you stay long enough to retire to Cedarvale, Kansas and enjoy the good life with Dusty.
Tex

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 02:47:22 PM »
TT, the Ronettes was a 3 female group that was very popular in the 60s.
They had several top 10 songs and hits. Ronnie was the lead singer.
I don’t know your age group but I believe most all of us guys nearing our 70s know these ladies as well enjoyed their fine songs and hits.
I hope this answers your questions, Sir.

Dan

Dan,

Ken is older than rocks in the water, but one heck of a good old Texas boy. He was probably cuttin' his teeth on a Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys record (78 speed) when others were listening to old time Rock & Roll.

Years ago at Steve Walker's Arkansas rally he had a long string of funny song titles and artists he shared with us. It really cracked me up. The only one I can remember was "I'll get over you when you get out from under him" By Phil Dirt and the Dozers. Ken's a BARRELL of laughs!

Ken, I say you can make a post about any old dead person you want to when you feel like it! Since the loss of JN Smyth YOU are the man we all look up to here! (or we should any-hoo)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 02:54:13 PM »

Tex
Yep, she definitely was on top.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 03:01:02 PM »
Thanks Dan. I'll be 79 Feb 1. Never had radios on the farm tractors and the trucks were so noisy you couldn't hear a radio if you had one. We didn't get a TV until 1955 and the picture was terrible. Our entertainment was fighting among ourselves or going to watch rasslen matches at the VFW or fairgrounds.

Thanks for your work as moderator. Hope you stay long enough to retire to Cedarvale, Kansas and enjoy the good life with Dusty.
Tex
Thank you Sir👍
Maybe I’ll get the chance to play you a tune on my fiddle that I’m sure you would be very familiar with. Ole Bob Wills tune “Faded Love”.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 03:15:02 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 04:03:46 PM »

Tex

I'm just glad she retired before everything fell out

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 05:50:14 PM »
One of my favorite songs from Waylon...Bob Wills is still the King.  Time to cross the Red River again!

Even the Rolling Stones did a fantastic cover of it in 2005 in Austin...got great reception by the crowd!  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwEOZtJm8pU

Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline SoCV

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 06:17:42 PM »
One of my favorite songs from Waylon...Bob Wills is still the King.  Time to cross the Red River again!

Even the Rolling Stones did a fantastic cover of it in 2005 in Austin...got great reception by the crowd!  Enjoy!

Bob was more the King of Tulsa than anything , when I was a kid one joke/smart alec retort was "Yeah , but Bob Wills was your daddy"

Dusty
Almost 900,000 in a little over 8 years in two .

RIP Mike Prentice

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 07:29:15 PM »
I grew up listening to the Ronettes, The Crystals, The Righteous Brothers and Darlene Love on The Philles Label along with everything else that came out of Motown.  Ronnie was a big talent, greatly helped and nearly destroyed by Phil Spector.  Glad she finally escaped him and received some of the money he stole from her and the Ronettes.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 08:28:46 PM »
Bob was more the King of Tulsa than anything , when I was a kid one joke/smart alec retort was "Yeah , but Bob Wills was your daddy"

Dusty

Uhhh, NO Mr. Whoopee, he was the KING of western swing. There's a big world outside Oklahoma. Check you're 3D-BB. :grin:

Been to Bob Wills Birthday Bash @ Cain's Ballroom (the HOME of Bob Wills)  in T-Town several times. What a night, Leon McAuliffe, "Wild Man"  Bobby Coffer on the electric table, Ice cold Budweiser, the ayatollah of alcohol and Ahhhh-Yessssss Western Swing influenced by the pride of TURKEY Texas  BOB WILLS!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUrhgb13ft4
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 08:40:35 PM by Guzzistajohn »

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 08:42:39 PM »

Thanks to Eddie Money for his biggest US hit, Take Me Home Tonight and reviving Ronnie's career in the 80's.  Well done.
      RIP Ronnie and Eddie.  Artists appreciating artists.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 08:58:53 PM »
I grew up listening to the Ronettes, The Crystals, The Righteous Brothers and Darlene Love on The Philles Label along with everything else that came out of Motown.  Ronnie was a big talent, greatly helped and nearly destroyed by Phil Spector.  Glad she finally escaped him and received some of the money he stole from her and the Ronettes.
Yep Ole Phil was who I was referring to in my post.
If you want to read a heart breaking story go to Wikipedia and put her name in.
I would have loved to have responded to one of her calls for help back in the day.

Offline SoCV

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 10:02:54 PM »

Uhhh, NO Mr. Whoopee, he was the KING of western swing. There's a big world outside Oklahoma. Check you're 3D-BB. :grin:

Been to Bob Wills Birthday Bash @ Cain's Ballroom (the HOME of Bob Wills)  in T-Town several times. What a night, Leon McAuliffe, "Wild Man"  Bobby Coffer on the electric table, Ice cold Budweiser, the ayatollah of alcohol and Ahhhh-Yessssss Western Swing influenced by the pride of TURKEY Texas  BOB WILLS!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUrhgb13ft4

The Cains is being called the Carnegie Hall of Western Swing . Which is funny considering Insane Clown Posse used to play there  :shocked:

Weird that the building started out as a garage to store Tate Brady's fancy car collection .

Dusty
Almost 900,000 in a little over 8 years in two .

RIP Mike Prentice

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 10:15:37 PM »

Thanks to Eddie Money for his biggest US hit, Take Me Home Tonight and reviving Ronnie's career in the 80's.  Well done.
      RIP Ronnie and Eddie.  Artists appreciating artists.

Paul B :boozing:

That's the song that I was trying to remember the name of. She worked it. Kinda like Stevie Nicks worked it in Gold by John Stewart.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2022, 12:06:41 PM »
I've vaguely heard of Bob Willis but don't know his music, I've never heard of Vanessa del Rio, but I've never forgotten seeing The Ronettes on television in 1963. Ronnie was the sexiest woman I'd ever seen (I was 15).
When she played the Leeds Irish Centre in the late 80s or early 90s I was there, and enjoyed every minute. She was still sexy and still a great singer.

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2022, 12:30:53 PM »
Rosa Lee Hawkins of the Dixie Cups has left the building.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2022, 12:42:00 PM »

Thanks, they have always done a good job with country. My favorite band since about ‘65.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2022, 02:43:49 PM »

Tex

As funny as I think this is, I would also disagree
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2022, 11:56:09 AM »
If you are a fan of Ronnie, and one of us old guys who think they arent making any more good music, check out The Parting Gifts

https://youtu.be/ZIyOq3HPLhA
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here