Author Topic: Horrible bike accident in NH.  (Read 10315 times)

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Horrible bike accident in NH.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 12:48:13 PM »
I read a news article that said the truck was in the wrong lane.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 02:29:03 PM »
Sad.  Rest in Peace to those who did not survive.  Full healing to those who did.  Cherished memories for those left behind.  No bad dreams for those who witnessed the carnage. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 02:29:03 PM »

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 02:37:19 PM »
I read a news article that said the truck was in the wrong lane.
Please cite or give us a link to the article.  Unattributed "...I read somewhere..." posts is how false rumors get started.  I'm as interested as you are to know what happened, but I not via fake news.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 03:15:36 PM »
^^^ Seconded. Every article I have read, so far, has said that the cause was under investigation, and no details had been released, yet.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Offline CharlieW

• Hatchling
    • http://i490.photobucket.com
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 03:30:43 PM »
02 STONE

Online TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 03:42:51 PM »
I've been across that section of Route 2 in New Hampshire many times during the week of Laconia , that road if I remember is I think it's 50 miles an hour and most places pretty smooth road that I can remember ,usually clear site so we'll just have to wait to see what what turns up from the investigati,on I do feel sorry for all those people that passed away I'm sure that Unfortunately they died doing what they enjoyed best , and to their families  enjoy the memories, the initial ones will be painful but the best ones you'll remember forever  .
TOMB
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 03:45:01 PM by TOMB »
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 03:53:59 PM »
They released some info (updates on the link I provided). The riders were Jarheads MC, US Marine vets, and possible friends. The truck was commercially driven. More info to come.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 04:00:31 PM »
Damn shame.  Guess I already gave my opinion about group riding in a previous thread. 

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 04:09:11 PM »
They released some info (updates on the link I provided). The riders were Jarheads MC, US Marine vets, and possible friends. The truck was commercially driven. More info to come.

Such a tragic event, so sad.

I'm curious to see if those "Jarheads MC, US Marine vets, and possible friends" were wearing safe and certified helmets.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 04:13:32 PM »
Please cite or give us a link to the article.  Unattributed "...I read somewhere..." posts is how false rumors get started.  I'm as interested as you are to know what happened, but I not via fake news.

Apologies, the reason I didn't link it was I couldn't with the sad state of computer system when I'm out in the shop.  I had read it up at the house and felt compelled to repeat what I read,  thinking one of my esteemed colleagues would have that link.  Ill hopefull find it later :tongue:
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 05:42:20 PM »
Tragic, senseless.  I wonder if the 23-year old truck driver drifted wide because he was distracted by his mobile phone? 
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline Rebochi

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 05:52:24 PM »
    My son had a similar accident while towing an unloaded equipment trailer with a Suburban. It was determined that the trailer toung weight was too low for the weight of the truck . He was unable to steer and wound up in a ditch. No injuries and a totaled truck. Some of the pictures from the accident in New Hampshire show a huge trailer attached to the wrecked truck.
1200 GS
1200 Sport
1100 Griso
2003 Rosso Corsa
Ducati Multistrada
Indian FTR 1200

Offline CharlieW

• Hatchling
    • http://i490.photobucket.com
02 STONE

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 06:25:56 PM »
Such a tragic event, so sad.

I'm curious to see if those "Jarheads MC, US Marine vets, and possible friends" were wearing safe and certified helmets.

Paul

Yah, like that would have made a difference in this type of wreck.  I read witnesses were applying tourniquets.  Helmets are good for about 30 mph.  Beyond that they don't do much.  Fortunately, as long as you don't hit a wall or head on into a truck the impact velocity vector is a lot lower than 30 mph.

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline TodkaVonic

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 06:46:45 PM »
Whether they would've helped or not, I bet that every one of those riders, if they had enough time before impact to have a thought at all, wished that they were helmeted.
2021 BMW R18 First Edition
2006 Ducati Sport Classic Paul Smart
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 06:49:11 PM »
Whether they would've helped or not, I bet that every one of those riders, if they had enough time before impact to have a thought at all, wished that they were helmeted.

Do you really think you know what US Marines were thinking in that moment?  Wow!  OK then. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline TodkaVonic

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 07:34:21 PM »
Do you really think you know what US Marines were thinking in that moment?  Wow!  OK then.

1) I think it's odd that you needed to include that they were Marines, like they have entirely unique Marine-only thoughts before death. Oh well.

2) I've been a trauma surgeon for about a dozen years. I've taken care of hundreds upon hundreds of motorcycle crash patients. Including Marines. Not surprisingly, a consistent theme among the helmeted is "boy am I glad I was wearing my helmet." Even if there's pernament disability, it's abundantly clear that helmet use helped ameliorate the damage.  A common theme among the unhelemeted, if they survive, is "I'll always wear a helmet" or, more commonly, a wife with a scowl saying "he'll always wear a helmet." Or "he's selling the bike." I've yet to meet the person who said, "well, since helmets don't make much difference over 30mph and since I was riding at highway speeds, I figured wearing a helment wouldn't matter in a crash and wow-howdy was I right! Didn't make a lick of difference!" No, haven't met that guy yet. But hey, maybe you're him huh?

3) Of course, my experience is after the fact with survivors and so you're technically correct (and I can't believe that I feel like I need to say this)...I'm incapable of knowing what other people are thinking. So with this limitation in mind, I took my own professional experience and also my own riding experience and then formed a therory that makes intuitive sense.

4) I'm interested to know where your 30mph claim derives. Do you have a link? No snark, I'm always interested in learning.

Nate

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2019, 07:39:58 PM »
The truck driver, although only 23, has a pretty long list of arrests.
He's lived in Ct. as well as Mass.
Not only theft/burglery, he currently has a chrge of 14-227a
ILL OPN MV UNDER INFL ALC/DRUG
and that was on 5/11/19.
Dusty might delete this, but given his history, I'm betting he is responsable.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2019, 08:53:25 PM »

Nope cannot find it. I almost had it but the New York post loaded itself instead and now the history does not show it. The New York post must have some program that does what it wants on this ancient iPad .  Wait until more is known is my advice, the first reports are generally inaccurate
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »
Well said Doc!
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2019, 09:45:55 PM »
1) I think it's odd that you needed to include that they were Marines, like they have entirely unique Marine-only thoughts before death. Oh well.

2) I've been a trauma surgeon for about a dozen years. I've taken care of hundreds upon hundreds of motorcycle crash patients. Including Marines. Not surprisingly, a consistent theme among the helmeted is "boy am I glad I was wearing my helmet." Even if there's pernament disability, it's abundantly clear that helmet use helped ameliorate the damage.  A common theme among the unhelemeted, if they survive, is "I'll always wear a helmet" or, more commonly, a wife with a scowl saying "he'll always wear a helmet." Or "he's selling the bike." I've yet to meet the person who said, "well, since helmets don't make much difference over 30mph and since I was riding at highway speeds, I figured wearing a helment wouldn't matter in a crash and wow-howdy was I right! Didn't make a lick of difference!" No, haven't met that guy yet. But hey, maybe you're him huh?

3) Of course, my experience is after the fact with survivors and so you're technically correct (and I can't believe that I feel like I need to say this)...I'm incapable of knowing what other people are thinking. So with this limitation in mind, I took my own professional experience and also my own riding experience and then formed a therory that makes intuitive sense.

4) I'm interested to know where your 30mph claim derives. Do you have a link? No snark, I'm always interested in learning.

Nate

Your head is 5 feet above the pavement.  You are travelling at 30 mph and lowside while trying to avoid a wreck.  What is the velocity of your helmet toward the pavement?  You are travelling at 70 mph and lowside while trying to avoid a wreck.  What is the velocity of your helmet toward the pavement?  :)
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Gnirwin

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 09:59:01 PM »
Had this discussion a few weeks back with an emergency room RN. She says most the times a biker goes down who is wearing full gear usually just patching him up. No gear usually very severe or death.
'17 Bobber
'15 Kawaski Vulan S
'98 Goldwing

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2019, 10:05:12 PM »
All else being equal, I don't think the velocity of your head toward the pavement would be different when low siding at 30 or 70.  You're still falling over 5 feet.  The ground is moving by faster, but it is parallel to your primary vector.  You would need more abrasion protection at the higher speed which would justify having the helmet on.
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline TodkaVonic

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2019, 10:36:08 PM »
All else being equal, I don't think the velocity of your head toward the pavement would be different when low siding at 30 or 70.  You're still falling over 5 feet.  The ground is moving by faster, but it is parallel to your primary vector.  You would need more abrasion protection at the higher speed which would justify having the helmet on.

Exactly. And for whatever you hit during the slide. And then there's the impact angle and how that is effected by speed and ejection status. There's a whole lotta variables and they're all more favorable with a lid on. And I get it: going 80 into a truck will result in a smear. As my grandmother used to say, "they'll clean you up with a loaf of bread." Like EMS has a chunk of rye on a pole or something for just such a situation. Anyhow, clearly a helmet won't save you in certain circumstances, agreed, but to say after 30mph it doesn't matter much? I'm not buying it.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2019, 10:50:49 PM »
I low sided at 45 MPH hitting gravel in a curve. The first thing I said to myself when my head hit the pavement was well my head was OK. But my neck took 6 weeks to heel from whiplash and luckily my bracial plexus in the shoulder was intact. My heavy leather jacket held up well.  The BP is where all your nerves run through to the should and arm. At 70 MPH it my have broken my neck and or injured my BP when my shoulder hit the pavement. I went down fast and at a higher speed laws of physics increase the forces.
Red 90 Mille GT

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2019, 06:16:21 AM »
 I don't belive it's been mentioned... Looks like Harley baggers? And generally ,not always, they are in a close formation often two abreast..No where to go when the shit the fan...I'm not implying the riders' were at fault, just saying...This accident really sucks ...

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2019, 06:41:49 AM »
Exactly. And for whatever you hit during the slide. And then there's the impact angle and how that is effected by speed and ejection status. There's a whole lotta variables and they're all more favorable with a lid on. And I get it: going 80 into a truck will result in a smear. As my grandmother used to say, "they'll clean you up with a loaf of bread." Like EMS has a chunk of rye on a pole or something for just such a situation. Anyhow, clearly a helmet won't save you in certain circumstances, agreed, but to say after 30mph it doesn't matter much? I'm not buying it.

I'm not saying "Riding faster than 30 mph."  I'm saying "Impact faster than 30 mph." 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here