Author Topic: Horrible bike accident in NH.  (Read 10204 times)

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Horrible bike accident in NH.
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2019, 07:13:29 AM »

Horrible tragedy.

Prayers for all.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2019, 07:39:14 AM »
Please cite or give us a link to the article.  Unattributed "...I read somewhere..." posts is how false rumors get started.  I'm as interested as you are to know what happened, but I not via fake news.

Here's a quote from a news story in this morning's online New York Times:

The motorcyclists were riding east on Route 2 in Randolph, N.H., about 100 miles northeast of Concord, when the pickup truck, a 2016 Dodge 2500, swerved over the yellow line and “jackknifed” into the motorcyclists’ lane around 6:30 p.m., said Jerry Hamanne, the owner of the Inn at Bowman Bed and Breakfast. The inn, where several of the motorcyclists were staying, was about 1,000 yards from the scene of the crash, he said.

Take it for what it's worth.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2019, 09:30:16 AM »
I no longer own a Guzzi, but for some reason, I enjoy reading this board daily.  I guess I have always been impressed with the community, the willingness to help strangers whose only bond is the enjoyment of a common motorcycle brand.  It's nice to see that community at work in such divisive times.  With that in mind, I can not understand how this thread grew to blame the victims based on what gear they may or may not have been wearing based upon their brand, Harley.  If the driver of the Ram 2500 and 20-foot trailer had pulled out a gun, or thrown an explosive device at the riders, would we be having this discussion?  Regardless if he was DUI, etc he could not control a deadly weapon and now 7 people whose common bond was service to their country and love for riding are dead.  I hope regardless of circumstances the driver faces a long prison term and never is given the privilege of driving again.  If earlier posts are correct and he had been convicted of DUI etc, the company who hired him and it's owner are sued and lose any wealth they might have gained from this business, and also face jail time.  Justice not prayers or blame is my wish.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2019, 09:38:27 AM »
I no longer own a Guzzi, but for some reason, I enjoy reading this board daily.  I guess I have always been impressed with the community, the willingness to help strangers whose only bond is the enjoyment of a common motorcycle brand.  It's nice to see that community at work in such divisive times.  With that in mind, I can not understand how this thread grew to blame the victims based on what gear they may or may not have been wearing based upon their brand, Harley.  If the driver of the Ram 2500 and 20-foot trailer had pulled out a gun, or thrown an explosive device at the riders, would we be having this discussion?  Regardless if he was DUI, etc he could not control a deadly weapon and now 7 people whose common bond was service to their country and love for riding are dead.  I hope regardless of circumstances the driver faces a long prison term and never is given the privilege of driving again.  If earlier posts are correct and he had been convicted of DUI etc, the company who hired him and it's owner are sued and lose any wealth they might have gained from this business, and also face jail time.  Justice not prayers or blame is my wish.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2019, 09:38:27 AM »

Offline bassa99

• Hatchling
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2019, 09:38:37 AM »

Irn, I wanted to post on this and you addressed all of the same thoughts I am having. Thank You
1999 Bassa
2001 Confederate Hellcat
1974 Eldorado
1973 Norton Commando restoration project

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2019, 10:27:26 AM »

You want to throw the truck driver in jail despite you having no real evidence so far that I see he was at fault?  No one is blaming the riders, we are discussing possibilities based on past expereinces....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:28:55 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline Irn

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2019, 10:36:10 AM »
You want to throw the truck driver in jail despite you having no real evidence so far that I see he was at fault?  No one is blaming the riders, we are discussing possibilities based on past expereinces....

His rig was wrecked on the wrong side of the road, WTF happened?  Swerved to avoid a deer, texting, sun in his eyes, he had a blowout?  He LOST CONTROL and now 7 people are dead.  No, I don't think he will be sent to jail after a trial.  Motorists who kill cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians, or other motorists rarely are.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »

His rig was wrecked on the wrong side of the road, WTF happened?  Swerved to avoid a deer, texting, sun in his eyes, he had a blowout?  He LOST CONTROL and now 7 people are dead.  No, I don't think he will be sent to jail after a trial.  Motorists who kill cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians, or other motorists rarely are.

And your proof? None...Lets be ope minded here...let me give some senarios, the bikers pull out of the inn as a group and head down the highway, one bike may be passing to get into a different position. The truck coming from the other direction suddenly sees this and hits the brakes, the trailer jackknifes as they often do when braking hard , the now out of control truck wipes out the group on bikes and continues to slide right off the road...Ever drive a truck with a trailer and face an emergency situation?
 I'm not blaming anyone and until the actul proof comes in you also should hold judgement....If it comes out the truck drive caused the accident then you are correct...
 I personally have been the victim of a false accusation so I know how it can turn into a lynch mob....This is my opinion of course

Offline Irn

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2019, 11:07:31 AM »
Rough edge I agree with you, mobs suck, will wait for the investigation.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2019, 11:12:17 AM »
Such a tragic event, so sad.

I'm curious to see if those "Jarheads MC, US Marine vets, and possible friends" were wearing safe and certified helmets.

Paul

Here is you answer from the Washington Post this AM

Red 90 Mille GT

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2019, 11:17:51 AM »
Here is you answer from the Washington Post this AM

Not sure what the WP story reveals.  The pic is of another couple who may have nothing to do with the group that was clobbered.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2019, 11:18:24 AM »
It's all speculation at this point but in an early release it said that the Riders were staying at a bed-and-breakfast which is probably 500 feet I believe that's what it said down the road just a just a guess on my part would be slowing down to turn into the bed and breakfast and the truck rear-ended them certainly I wasn't there but it's just a thought
TOMB
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline Irn

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2019, 12:10:22 PM »
TOMB according to CNN this morning;

The motorcyclists had been traveling east when they collided with a westbound 2016 Dodge 2500 pickup truck.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2019, 01:35:42 PM »
It happened near the junction of 2 and 115, close to Randolph.  The driver crossed the line, over corrected and the trailer and truck cut through the riders like a scythe.  It’s not speculation. 

It’s a 50mph zone.  There is nothing the riders could have done since it was a 90-100mph closing speed.  No amount of gear saves you when there is a 100mph impact with solid steel and you’re on a 700lb motorcycle .  The energy involved makes the talk in this thread about helmets irrelevant.  The bickering about fault and such is disrespectful.

I ride Route 2 almost every weekend.  It was a terrible accident and could have happened to any of us.  ANY...of us. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:38:06 PM by JohninVT »

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2019, 01:39:18 PM »
Yep, you'd be just as croaked in a small car
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

oldbike54

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2019, 02:15:23 PM »
 Let's go easy on the judgement fellas , this was a horrible event , no one is saying any different .

Dusty

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2019, 03:49:10 PM »
Yeah, you don't want to cross the line into be disrespectful.  And, I rather doubt that there is anyone on this forum who doesn't feel sorrow for the riders and their families.

It's human nature though, and particularly motorcycle rider nature, to ask, 'would I have been one of the fatalities, or is there something I regularly do or could do to avoid it'.  So, it's not about "laying blame", it's about not personally making the same mistake.

If I was riding alone...yup, he could've gotten me.  Although, I may have had more options riding alone, as I wouldn't be hemmed in by other bikes.  But, yeah, he could've taken me out. 

But taking out ten bikes and seven lives, that's directly attributable to riding in a group.

The list of things I do for safety include what I wear, where I'll ride, the usual defensive procedures, and never riding in a group.  String out the same as you would if you were a group of total strangers in cars.  With no tailgating. 

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2019, 04:02:40 PM »
At our Colorado NARs, and I imagine most Guzzi "group" rides, we string out typically with at least 100 feet between us. Riding in formation, side-by or closely staggered, invites mass entanglement at best.

A couple of years ago I saw a group of (brand name here) stop for a light in Boulder. Left front guy lost his footing. He and wife tumbled into couple at right front. Happily, only chrome was bruised.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2019, 04:31:27 PM »
It happened near the junction of 2 and 115, close to Randolph.  The driver crossed the line, over corrected and the trailer and truck cut through the riders like a scythe.  It’s not speculation. 

It’s a 50mph zone.  There is nothing the riders could have done since it was a 90-100mph closing speed.  No amount of gear saves you when there is a 100mph impact with solid steel and you’re on a 700lb motorcycle .  The energy involved makes the talk in this thread about helmets irrelevant.  The bickering about fault and such is disrespectful.

I ride Route 2 almost every weekend.  It was a terrible accident and could have happened to any of us.  ANY...of us.

:thumb:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2019, 04:37:10 PM »
A 23 y/o convicted criminal, who just over a month ago was arrested for DUI drugs/alcohol
or Marine Vets on a charity ride with their spouses
The criminal cannot be found or reached by his employer (lawyering up?)
Who is more likely to be at fault?  :rolleyes:

Offline TodkaVonic

• Hatchling
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2019, 04:49:10 PM »
Yeah, you don't want to cross the line into be disrespectful.  And, I rather doubt that there is anyone on this forum who doesn't feel sorrow for the riders and their families.

It's human nature though, and particularly motorcycle rider nature, to ask, 'would I have been one of the fatalities, or is there something I regularly do or could do to avoid it'.  So, it's not about "laying blame", it's about not personally making the same mistake.

I was thinking about exactly that today.

Speaking only for myself, I know that it's difficult to accept that sometimes things just happen. Events can be unavoidable and senseless and random. When I encounter something terrible, I try to make sense of it, to mitigate the awfulness by attributing the outcome to choices, not randomness. I want to know if the riders' helmet status because not wearing one, while not assigning blame, is a choice. Just like texting or following too closely or not taking a defensive rider course or having a cocktail.  And I *like* to think that if I make good choices that I'll be ok. I know it's not true, but it helps. Again, no blame here.
2021 BMW R18 First Edition
2006 Ducati Sport Classic Paul Smart
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2019, 04:55:12 PM »
I am sympathetic but this is one of many reasons why group rides should be avoided.
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2019, 05:03:51 PM »
I am sympathetic but this is one of many reasons why group rides should be avoided.
JB

Absolutely.  it is rare to find riders that have been trained in group riding with the discipline to do it correctly
not saying they did anything incorrectly just saying group riding can be fun if done with precision
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 05:10:09 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2019, 05:51:22 PM »
Yep, you'd be just as croaked in a small car

You would be just as crooked in a truck more then likely.
Paul B

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2019, 06:07:50 PM »
 Let's all wait until the facts are known.  Then Lynch the truck driver.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2019, 06:26:34 PM »
Posted this elsewhere but will again here.
2005 heading north in inside lane of 4 lane divided hwy  wearing proper gear & a Schuberth helmet between 60-65mph (posted 65mph)having slowed slightly thru an intersection. A kid turned left into the middle of my K75 in the middle of the intersection. Woke up laying in the outside lane with a crowd around me & the ambulance there. Ga Hwy Report measured my impact 55 feet from where I was hit. ( Half the distance of the Wright Bros 1st flight.  LOL)
Left front chinbar of the Schuberth ground flat, face shield scraped & gouged, LARGE saucer size chunk out of the left rear & a cup size chunk out of the right rear. The chinbar stayed latched.
I was treated & released in 2 hrs later with 4 stitches in lower left leg & a concussion. I was on crutches for 2 weeks & sore for many weeks.

Aftermath: bought an FJR 1 week after the accident. Shop delivered it but I couldn't get a leg over it for 5 weeks. Sat in the garage w/ a coke snack & micro cloth.
Schberth requested the helmet to analyze  & gave me 50% off a replacement.
FWIW

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2019, 06:45:19 PM »
I am speculating just like the rest of you. It seems as if the riders had just left their b&b a short distance. Even for those of us who ride together but spread out my guess might have still been grouped up if it was only a few hundred yards from our departure point. Could have been any of us.May God look over all of them.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2019, 07:48:40 PM »
Horrible and likely avoidable accident (most are). Very sorry to hear this. I share everyone's heartfelt condolences. There was a similar accident on a remote two-lane highway in Nebraska about eight years ago. Four motorcyclists lost their lives.

Admittedly disrespectful, distasteful, and inappropriate, the cynic in me asks, "were their pipes not loud enough?"
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:06:29 PM by LongRanger »
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Online Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2019, 08:52:03 PM »
boy some of you people are really letting the asshole out
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »
Posted this elsewhere but will again here.
2005 heading north in inside lane of 4 lane divided hwy  wearing proper gear & a Schuberth helmet between 60-65mph (posted 65mph)having slowed slightly thru an intersection. A kid turned left into the middle of my K75 in the middle of the intersection. Woke up laying in the outside lane with a crowd around me & the ambulance there. Ga Hwy Report measured my impact 55 feet from where I was hit. ( Half the distance of the Wright Bros 1st flight.  LOL)
Left front chinbar of the Schuberth ground flat, face shield scraped & gouged, LARGE saucer size chunk out of the left rear & a cup size chunk out of the right rear. The chinbar stayed latched.
I was treated & released in 2 hrs later with 4 stitches in lower left leg & a concussion. I was on crutches for 2 weeks & sore for many weeks.

Aftermath: bought an FJR 1 week after the accident. Shop delivered it but I couldn't get a leg over it for 5 weeks. Sat in the garage w/ a coke snack & micro cloth.
Schberth requested the helmet to analyze  & gave me 50% off a replacement.
FWIW

WOW dead man walking......your helmet story is one for the books and sure kept you intact.  Interesting they wanted it for research. 
Red 90 Mille GT

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here