Author Topic: Best Places To Retire In Each State  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Best Places To Retire In Each State
« on: June 30, 2021, 06:31:02 PM »
Thinking of moving?  Maybe for retirement?  At the very least, it could be a list for summer ride destinations.  "We got to check out this town!"  🙆‍♂️

https://www3.forbes.com/business/best-places-to-retire-in-each-state-2018/101/
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Best Places To Retire In Each State
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 09:09:03 PM »
Hoooray! My state didn't make the cut! We're getting too many big city ya-hoos around the lakes here already!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 09:21:46 PM »
Hoooray! My state didn't make the cut! We're getting too many big city ya-hoos around the lakes here already!

Columbia MO and Jefferson City

https://www3.forbes.com/business/best-places-to-retire-in-each-state-2018/50/
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 09:24:29 PM »
Remember...Every state has its pros and cons....and there is no UTOPIA...so you just have to decide what best suits your lifestyle, likes, and hobbies...

:wink: :thumb: :cool: :boozing:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 09:24:29 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 05:51:21 AM »
Remember...Every state has its pros and cons....and there is no UTOPIA...so you just have to decide what best suits your lifestyle, likes, and hobbies...

:wink: :thumb: :cool: :boozing:

Yep.  That is why retiring and becoming a Nomad is the best solution.  Follow the weather you prefer.  Follow the hobbies you prefer.  Chose the most advantageous state to register your home on wheels and vehicles in.  Depending on your retirement income you can stay in resorts or squat on public lands. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 07:49:36 AM »
The name of my rolling home is now official. In case you didn't follow, both wife and I are left handed.

South Dakota is an advantageous location. To establish residency you only need to spend 1 night per year in the state.

A completed Residency Affidavit. A receipt from a South Dakota hotel/motel, campground or RV park to prove one night of stay within the last year. The receipt must include your name and South Dakota address. One document, no more than one year old, proving your personal mailbox (PMB) service address.

A South Dakotan trust changes all that: it protects assets from claims from ex-spouses, disgruntled business partners, creditors, litigious clients and pretty much anyone else. ... And it shields your wealth from the government, since South Dakota has no income tax, no inheritance tax and no capital gains tax. They don't tax social security either.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 07:55:02 AM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 08:13:47 AM »
I remember when "Forbes" was a respected publication concerning financial affairs and investments.  After generational ownership, it appears to have to devolved into an internet flipbook.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 08:36:28 AM »
Yep.  That is why retiring and becoming a Nomad is the best solution.  Follow the weather you prefer.  Follow the hobbies you prefer.  Chose the most advantageous state to register your home on wheels and vehicles in.  Depending on your retirement income you can stay in resorts or squat on public lands.

Well stated... :thumb:  The Nomdad lifestyle is way cool, but not for everyone...and yes, property taxes, cost of living, etc. is a big consideration when one is on a fixed income, aka, Social Security / Medicare, etc. :wink: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 01:50:07 PM »
I remember when "Forbes" was a respected publication concerning financial affairs and investments.  After generational ownership, it appears to have to devolved into an internet flipbook.

Like all lists, I look at them as an opinion.  What is the basis for your conclusion?  Curious.  🙆‍♂️  Political agenda involved in their reporting? 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 02:10:51 PM »
Like all lists, I look at them as an opinion.  What is the basis for your conclusion?  Curious.  🙆‍♂️  Political agenda involved in their reporting?

Nothing political, I'm not sure why you said that.  I just didn't consider this a serious endeavor.  Forbes at one time was a respected journal.  This just seems like so much boiler room fluff.  I don't even know if Forbes is published anymore.

So I looked at Forbes website and I can say I was wrong. It still a business and finance publication.  I suppose this list was done more or less as an ad to the main content. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 02:27:32 PM »
Just looking at all angles.  I'd only catch occasional articles/reprints from Forbes.  Any insight or other info that someone gets is always helpful for me.   :thumb:  Thanks.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 03:59:37 PM »
The best place to retire in Massachusetts is anywhere else. If my roots weren’t so deep and my business not portable I’d be gone. Not enough people smiling and caring about each other. That and short straight sandy roads full of tourists, angry locals and much older drivers.  What could possibly go wrong?
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 06:22:01 PM »
The best place to retire in Massachusetts is anywhere else. If my roots weren’t so deep and my business not portable I’d be gone. Not enough people smiling and caring about each other. That and short straight sandy roads full of tourists, angry locals and much older drivers.  What could possibly go wrong?

Wow!  You are really out there on the cape!  I'm heading up that way in August but will be up in Methuen and mostly riding in NH when I am there. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline V7Record

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 06:52:44 PM »
I could probably put up with clicking through each state but can't stand the pop up ads that cover the main article and force you to scroll up and down constantly just to read a single paragraph on each page. 

Online John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 09:14:04 PM »
Define "retired"  I tried it. Work nearly every day.   Wife  said if you want to move from Southern Indiana to some where else, it is up to Me to choose. We have no reason/family to stay.   I looked at Arkansas because it is more mild, hills, forest and cheap.  Indiana winters are dull, gray, cold, 5 months or more of cold.  As a motorcycle rider, I ride County roads for recreational enjoyment.  Going no where and enjoying the sights, smells, nature, curves and hills. 

I was a sail boater for many years and as I get older, 62 now, I would like to sail again as my riding comfort level is diminished due to a bad back and arthritis. 

I am making good money being retired as an owner of a coin laundry, rental housing and a bed and breakfast. Al taking up time.  Having fun though. 

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2021, 09:44:05 PM »
Wow!  You are really out there on the cape!  I'm heading up that way in August but will be up in Methuen and mostly riding in NH when I am there.
New Hampshire is where you want to be TWA. Great roads and people.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 11:29:33 PM »
Trust me , there isn't any good place to retire in Oklahoma .

well... you don't have to pay state income taxes on govt pensions...there's that.  Other taxes are low too.  OKC and Tulsa are decent metros.  Plenty of suburban, rural and scenic areas and lakes as well.  Housing is very affordable.  There are drawbacks but I'd violate the TOS to go there.  A day's drive to the Rockies, Ozarks or Gulf.  The climate? Where is the climate good now?

Not seen you before, hopefully you'll make the Cedar Vale Rally.   :grin:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:32:16 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2021, 08:49:01 AM »

The climate? Where is the climate good now?

High of 83 today and 82 tomorrow in middle Tennessee!  We are having a nice summer so far.   :thumb:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2021, 09:03:53 AM »
Tennessee. No income tax for regular working people.  Property taxes are low outside the big cities.  Sales tax is high, but it's more like a flat tax in that "everybody pays."  In the last few years, a lot states have raised their sales taxes to where they're only a point or so below TN and still have an income tax to deal with.  Winters are mild, but you definitely do have a winter, with cold temps and a bit of snow now and then.  Best of all, great riding roads are just out your back door in the eastern part of the state.  While there are better places from a climate or scenic perspective, I can neither afford to live there or stand the politics of those that do.  :wink:

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2021, 10:13:15 AM »

well... you don't have to pay state income taxes on govt pensions...there's that.  Other taxes are low too.  OKC and Tulsa are decent metros.  Plenty of suburban, rural and scenic areas and lakes as well.  Housing is very affordable.  There are drawbacks but I'd violate the TOS to go there.  A day's drive to the Rockies, Ozarks or Gulf.  The climate? Where is the climate good now?

Not seen you before, hopefully you'll make the Cedar Vale Rally.   :grin:

IF you get invited  :grin:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2021, 07:27:01 AM »

That is true, but owing on mass, and NY, I will say that Mass is FAR cheaper then NY. Lots of other good points about it also. Also as I sit out here on 4th of july weekend, I will agree with you on the traffic part of Cape Cod Mass!! Frankly Im really thinking of doing the snowbird thing. We do love it here on the Cape in the summer and fall. Thinking of a place in SC, or Ga for the winter. Sept -nov is so nice here on the cape. Weather is still nice, and FAR less people. Though the - era has really made it more busy on the off season.
Paul B

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2021, 08:03:11 AM »

Same for NJ unless you're well off financially. I'm sticking around for elderly father and granddaughter but other states beckon - NH, ME and NC in particular.

One major consideration needs to be healthcare. The level and quality of service can drop off precipitously as you move further from more metropolitan areas. My initial looking shows it to be a tradeoff between cost of living and access to services. I'm reasonably healthy now but maybe not in 20 years.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2021, 09:49:32 AM »
IF you get invited  :grin:

I might be higher on the list than you.  BTW- this new user, SoCV, I think he might be connected. 
John L 

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2021, 12:29:53 PM »
I plan to retire where I currently live...Southwest Missouri  :thumb:
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2021, 02:35:01 PM »
Same for me although I could live anywhere with the right clothing.   :shocked:  The BOSS couldn't.  She has a hard time with cold weather.  She's pretty tight with her siblings. 

I feel for those out there that are still looking for their "place".  Keep looking and hopes are that you find where you should be.   :thumb:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2021, 03:06:13 PM »
I'm retired so I guess it's set and done.   I'd like a cabin in NM or Colorado.  Perhaps a place on the beach in Port A.

I'd consider moving to San Antonio, San Marcos or the Hill Country if Texas was a little different.  By comparisons, I'd just as soon stay here and just visit.  Same is true for beach and the mountains unless I could find a deal.
John L 

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2021, 03:12:38 PM »
The MGNOC National Rally has been the perfect excuse to visit.   :grin:

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2021, 05:42:18 PM »
The best state is the space between your ears.  If that is screwed up, all the rest doesn't matter.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2021, 05:42:35 PM »
I'm retired so I guess it's set and done.   I'd like a cabin in NM or Colorado.  Perhaps a place on the beach in Port A.

I'd consider moving to San Antonio, San Marcos or the Hill Country if Texas was a little different.  By comparisons, I'd just as soon stay here and just visit.  Same is true for beach and the mountains unless I could find a deal.

:shocked:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2021, 06:23:12 PM »
The best state is the space between your ears.  If that is screwed up, all the rest doesn't matter.

Absolutely. Well said.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here