General Category > General Discussion

EV (hot start) "Issues"

<< < (6/7) > >>

geoff in almonte:
Sounds like a coil problem.  I had one go bad on a Harley I owned.  Symptoms were as you describe.

When the coil was hot, the spark would go away and no amount of kicking and cursing would start the bike.
But if you waited 20 minutes or so - all was good until the coil heated up again.  We checked everything that could possibly affect the ignition system and it wasn't until we bench tested the coil for several minutes that the problem was revealed.

If you've already investigated this, I'll just shut up and go away.

Good Hunting!

G

Kiwi_Roy:

--- Quote from: geoff in almonte on January 26, 2015, 03:28:10 PM ---Sounds like a coil problem.  I had one go bad on a Harley I owned.  Symptoms were as you describe.

--- End quote ---

Don't rule out the plug leads, my EV had the crappy resistor lead as well as resistor caps, new copper leads made the world of difference. On inspection I could see inside the old carbon ones where it had been arcing.
If you pull the plug caps I think from the cap to chassis should read about 8000 Ohms, both similar.

LowRyter:
actually I just talked to a local Duc mechanic (I was trying to see if he could find a TPS) and he suggested that it might be a cracked coil.  (The coil is an unknown quantity as it was exchanged during an early ignition trouble shooting party at the Salida Rally in '09.  That problem was cured due faulty connection on one of the igniter boxes) 

But doesn't the EV have two coils?  If so, that wouldn't be the cause of both cylinder not firing.

He made great suggestion:   Carry a spare spark plug with me.  If it won't start, pull the plug wire and insert the spare plug for a quick ignition test.

If the ignition proves to be good, then he proposes installing a fuel pressure gauge.

Both seemed logical ideas.  I'm packing a spare plug with me.

Anyway, he didn't have a TPS and the bike started right off and I left.

Wayne Orwig:
Sorry if this is repeated, I don't see it.
If this is a 98, and you have the external fuel pump. That means, that when it is hot, it is easy for the pump to vapor lock if there is ANY obstruction in the suction line. Make sure the fuel solenoid is opening, if it has one. And make sure the fuel strainer in the tank is clean. Also, the fuel line suction line from the tank should have a braided steel cover over it to keep the heat from bothering it.

LowRyter:
Wayne, I just changed the fuel filter and took the screen out (see above).  The filter did seem to have some obstruction.  I thought it was fixed until today.  The bike does have the electric petcock.  So that is also a point of concern.  it could also be the fuel pump.  Next time it happens I plan to check the ignition with a spare sparkplug.  If that checks out, I'll go with the fuel pressure gauge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version