Author Topic: Any IT Experts here?  (Read 3711 times)

Offline scra99tch

• Gaggle Hero
Any IT Experts here?
« on: June 29, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »
I am playing around with a junkyard find.  I have a bunch of these HP MSM466 Outdoor wireless access points I am trying to get to work.  They all power on and seem like they are communicating but when I put in the default gateway in my web browser I get no where.

These things are prototype units from HP.  I have 2 that are working which have dual radios in them.  The others only have a single radio and I cannot get into the setup pages even after a hard reset. 

there is a sticker on each of them listing 101 AL1 10.1.1.101 and 105 AL1 10.1.1.105 if that helps.

Maybe it was not meant to be.  Anyways I am no expert here so my terminology and methods are limited.

Thanks
1974 Eldorado
2007 California Vintage

Offline rbm

• Gosling
Re: Any IT Experts here?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:34:07 PM »
From the user manual for the unit you referenced:

Using the reset button
This technique forces the AP into its factory defaults state including switching the AP back into
controlled mode.
Using a tool such as a paper clip, press and hold the reset button for a few seconds until the front
status lights blink three times.
Using the management tool
Launch the management tool (default https://192.168.1.1).
To reset the AP to factory defaults, keeping it in autonomous mode, follow this procedure:
1. Select Maintenance > Config file management.

If you've already tried this and the units don't respond, maybe they are defective or bricked.  You do know that you'll have to hard configure an IP address on your workstation in the same subnet as the router when you do a factory reset since any DHCP server will probably not be working.  Also, you're best to direct cable connect the laptop to the AP because probably administrative interfaces are not enabled on the wireless NICs.

If you don't already know, you can find the user guide on the HP web site:  Go to http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/uc/welcome.html.  Select support button _> support and troubleshooting.  Enter the MSM466 in the search field.  Select the (AM) model grouping that gets presented.  Select Manuals.  There you go.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:39:20 PM by rbm »
- Robert

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

Offline scra99tch

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 08:42:10 PM »
I did get that far on some of the units mainly the consumer released versions.  The others which are prototypes I am having a bit of difficulty and may just need to off load them on Ebay.

If I ipconfig with one of those units with both internet options obtaining the IP address and DNS automatically I get a response from the unit.  Other than that trying the default gateway I cannot get into the setup page.
1974 Eldorado
2007 California Vintage

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:02:52 PM »
If you have done a full reset and knocked it back to factory settings, the above advice should be good.

Also -- take down any and all firewalls on your console machine.

This does require a cabled connection -- wireless admin is generally not possible on wireless AP's.  Some of the fancy units require a 'console cable' to connect to the device in admin mode.  This could be a rolled RJ45 or a DB9 of some description.

What exactly happens when you try to access the setup page?  Take us through step-by-step and describe the final failure and any messages related.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:02:52 PM »

Offline rbm

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 09:43:43 PM »
If I ipconfig with one of those units with both internet options obtaining the IP address and DNS automatically I get a response from the unit.  Other than that trying the default gateway I cannot get into the setup page.
As Rodekyll mentions, you'll need to eliminate your network and use a standard cable between a laptop computer and the AP, as specified in the manual.  You should manually config the workstation (disable DHCP), setting the address to something like 192.168.1.2 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and no default gateway because you won't have one or need one.  The manual says it will take one minute for the AP to reset and will indicate ready with a stedy blinking LED. You should be able to ping the AP with this setup.  If you don't get a response, the AP might likely be bricked.

Good luck.
- Robert

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

canuguzzi

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 12:16:46 AM »
it is unlikely they will ping. enterprise class devices are more and more being configured by default not to respond to ping. The reason is obvious, kiddies start out learning that ping can be used to deploy DOS attacks.

These APs are not going to be worth your time and effort to use on a home or even small business network, they are enterprise class and as such are dependent upon zone directors or controllers to update their software and firmware, to configure their VLANS and so on.

You can get them to work but you will not be happy with the result.

I have used these and others very similar before in large enterprise networks.

I will PM you a detailed procedure to deal with WiFi APs that might help if you like messing with this stuff and come across excess enterprise class hardware.

BTW: Never set your APs or routers to respond to ping. Anyone that sets up a mission critical device to respond to ping should be banished to play with Toys for Tots.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:23:30 AM by Norge Pilot »

canuguzzi

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 12:19:57 AM »
If you get stuck, run this command:

"ipconfig /all >ipinfo.txt"

Do not include the quotes.

This outputs the results of the "ipconig /all" command to a text file you can display using a text editor or word processor or print out. If you get really stuck, like I said, I've used them, send me a PM with the results of that and I can help you, perhaps.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 02:39:13 AM »
 :thumb:

Offline oldtime

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 04:21:23 AM »
 have a Yamaha IT490 and IT200 does that help

canuguzzi

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »
have a Yamaha IT490 and IT200 does that help

Yes, as I stated earlier, send them to me, I will take care of them.

Does that qualify as help? :grin:

BTW, for anyone else reading, the APs he has with the dual band are high power models that can broadcast a great distance. The 5 gig band can be used as a backhaul for an entire network amongst many locations say like in a rural setting where people can pool money and buy a speed internet access and share it around the neighborhood, even if everyone is quite a ways away from each other.

The key is the controller or director.

With the right setup, the distance is miles not feet.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:42:46 AM by Norge Pilot »

Offline scra99tch

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 04:34:31 PM »
Funny you should say that. I do not know the wattage on the antennas but when I did get one of the consumer models to work, I let it do a neighborhood search and I had about 25 hits some a couple miles down the road in town.

Which is connected driectly to the AP unit via power over ethernet.

So heres my Ipconfig /all results on the laptop

Physical Address 00-11-25-86-c1-da
DHCP Enabled No
IP Address 192.168.1.2
Subnet MAsk 255.255.255.0
Deafult 192.168.1.1
DNS Server 192.168.1.1

I just tried all the combinations of Http:// \configure,setup,main

If does have a sticker on the side like you pointed out that has 10.1.1.101 adress but this is a no go.

1974 Eldorado
2007 California Vintage

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 04:52:43 PM »
10.1.1.101 is a private IP format -- should be valid on the local side of the network.

But your IP is 192.168.1.1 -- won't talk to the AP because they're in different subnets.  Change your IP to

10.1.1.110.  try the same subnet mask.  Disable/enable the NIC to be sure it's taken the new configuration.

Get a 'run' box open (click the start menu and at the very bottom is a space to type in)

type in http://HTTP://10.1.1.101

This should get you to a login page for the AP.  The label that told you about the IP number should also have the default login account info.  It might look like

username [blank] -- means don't give it a username, just a password. [admin or other name] -- type it in.
password [admin]   [setup]  [HP]  (these are some examples of standard admin passwords.)

The first thing to do when you access the AP is to secure it -- change the admin password to something you've written down and stickied to the AP unit.

canuguzzi

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 05:45:36 PM »
^^^^^

Antennas are voodoo. Height and length aren't what makes the most difference, how they are made is and the frequency on which they are used.

Just an addition to the above post, if you are messing with it from a computer that has no critical or private information on it, you can wait on changing the username password until you feel a little more comfortable with it.

The AP has some very sophisticated security and management features in it.

Since you have the IP of the AP, lets start going about this in a systematic way.

First, power everything down. You know it works, your computer works and all that.

1. Get a used router, anything will do. Configure it to the same network as the AP.
2. Set the router to give out DHCP addresses. (this makes everything a lot easier here on out.)
3. If you know how, reserve the IP that the AP has. If you don't know how, don't worry, the router is smart enough not to give out that address (hopefully)
4. Now connect the AP to the router via Ethernet
5. Connect your PC to the router. It can be wireless or wired, it doesn't matter (just make sure that if you are using wireless that the router supports it, people do try to connect wireless to wired only routers)

See what we've done here? We've created your own LAN that goes nowhere but does allow you to access everything on the LAN as if it was production. Consider this your T&E Lan (test and evaluate)

Now you can simply use your browser to get to the admin page of the AP and start going at it.

Since you now have a T&E lan to play with, you can even hook up printers, other machines, storage and all kinds of things like security cameras and all that, just to see how the AP performs.

Since you are now using a router, you no longer have to mess with configuring your PC all the time or even once, set it to DHCP and you just go at it.

Your router will also provide you with log info if you want it. You can see when the AP connected, what elese is connected (like your PC) and things like that.

After a while, if you have your security all worked out, you can take this T&E LAN and simply connect the router to your ISP and test the whole affair for Internet access. You no longer need to mess with IP address changes and you can simply disconnect the router from your internet connection and no one can get to it via the Internet.

Making your own T&E Lan and then using that to go further makes experimenting a lot easier and more fun.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:49:00 PM by Norge Pilot »

canuguzzi

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 05:52:39 PM »
I forgot, the other huge benefit to making up the T&E Lan i described above is that you can now move your laptop or PC from network to network just by connecting to them, you won't need to change any settings on your laptop or PC since it will use DHCP to get addresses (if all routers are giving out DHCP).

Offline scra99tch

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 07:07:59 PM »
10.1.1.101 is a private IP format -- should be valid on the local side of the network.

But your IP is 192.168.1.1 -- won't talk to the AP because they're in different subnets.  Change your IP to

10.1.1.110.  try the same subnet mask.  Disable/enable the NIC to be sure it's taken the new configuration.

Get a 'run' box open (click the start menu and at the very bottom is a space to type in)

type in http://HTTP://10.1.1.101

This should get you to a login page for the AP.  The label that told you about the IP number should also have the default login account info.  It might look like

username [blank] -- means don't give it a username, just a password. [admin or other name] -- type it in.
password [admin]   [setup]  [HP]  (these are some examples of standard admin passwords.)

The first thing to do when you access the AP is to secure it -- change the admin password to something you've written down and stickied to the AP unit.

Alright this got me in it.

It is on a laptop I only use in the garage for Guzzidiag so nothing too important on it.

Let me know if you want a picture of anything else.

hope I am not breaking any international or domestic laws by having these "prototypes".  Only seems to be a XB114 based radio card so nothing special. 

1974 Eldorado
2007 California Vintage

canuguzzi

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 07:18:21 PM »
Go for it. You have a bunch of option on how to go about it. You will be limited with some of the things you can do with it because you don't have the controller but you'll find it has a lot of options and capabilities the home hobby APs do not have.

Stay away from trying to secure it right now, you want to be able to access it quickly and easily and sometimes if the firmware is quirky, you'll end up resetting the thing often.

See if you can get the latest firmware or verify if that is what is one there.

Good luck.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here