Author Topic: very small propane leak  (Read 1538 times)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
very small propane leak
« on: May 18, 2022, 11:46:35 AM »
I recently received from my propane supplier that their insurance company will require checking  for leaks on all tanks. I have an underground 325 gallon tank installed in 2007 that I own. So all fixes are on me.  I checked the tank fittings both with a soapy mixture as well as an electronic meter.  There is a long 3” pipe that comes up to ground level and then there is a screw on component that has the valves, gas level meter and pressure release valve etc. screwed onto that pipe.  So I checked all fittings with an electronic meter and it shows I have a couple of leaks. 1. Leak is where the top component screws on to the 3” pipe coming up from in ground tank. The other place  the meter shows a leak is where the gas tank gauge is screwed on at the very top.
This is were I it gets interesting. I spray on soapy water to the whole thing to see how strong the leaks are. It takes a couple of minutes to ever so slowly to bubble up which means I have a couple of very very small leaks. I own this tank I know they will flunk me.
If these 3 places that it leaks were significant I would be concerned but the amount of time it takes to slowly show up a few bubbles tells me these are extreme small leaks. Maybe something I would not like in my house but on the outside tank this is nothing.  I last had it filled in March 2021 to 80%. It still has 38% left in it. We heated with wood all winter and this represents 15 months of cooking. We have a large full gas range and cook a lot.
So I am looking if there is a way for me to cover with a quick drying sealant that I am sure would seal it. There is very little pressure judging by the very small bubbles that even after 10 minutes are not popping nor very big. It is liking watching bread dough rise.  :popcorn:
Maybe I am I crazy(so tell me if I am) that I think is not a dangerous situation. I gotta ask if any of you all have been faced with such a situation and is there a quick and fast drying sealant than might work?
I actually worked as a propane delivery driver 50 years ago but we never check for leaks!
Red 90 Mille GT

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: very small propane leak
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 12:03:15 PM »

Sorry to say rr90. there is no magic bullet. Taking it apart, cleaning the threads, use gas approved teflon tape or LaCo tite pipe sealant  and never worry about it again.  My $.02

Paul B  :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 12:07:21 PM »
Can the propane distributor pump out the tank for you?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 12:14:58 PM »
Your leak is at tank pressure even though it is low volume. Whatever you try for sealant will have to withstand tank pressure. If you are lucky and get a sealant that totally bonds over the pinhole then the pressure applied to the patch is equal to the PSI in the container times the area of the pinhole in square inches. The difficulty would be in getting a sealantto set before the leak produced a bubble pushing the sealant away from the pinhole.

Can propane delivery trucks extract propane or can they only deliver it?
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 12:14:58 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 12:22:36 PM »
I assume the 3" pipe is threaded.
I have been on many projects where they run 2" and 3" galvanized pipe for instrument air (galvanized to prevent rust), these are pipe fitters who spend their entire careers running pipe a 3" pipe thread is almost impossible to seal. I think I would use some form of paste sealant rather than teflon tape.
Good Luck

BTW, they often use soldered copper or welded stainless steel to get around the leak problem
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 12:25:37 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 12:38:53 PM »
There is no easy way out.

Yes, the truck can empty the tank to zero pressure. Most companies will issue a credit to your account for the gas extracted, minus the normal delivery fee. The credit will be applied to the refill.

Use 'Gasoila' thread sealer.

As stated, the leak will be at tank pressure as soon as it sees your sealer, which is about 100psi @ 50*F.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propane-vapor-pressure-d_1020.html
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 12:44:14 PM »
Just weld it shut.  :evil:
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 12:54:43 PM »
Ya well they can pump the tank and then have to turn remove the top piece, clean the threads and repair the gauge. I figured this is what I was up against. I at least hope they can remove the top piece without digging out tank.
I understand that the leak is at same pressure as the tank but I am only having to cover an extremely small area to stop the leak. It's not like I have a 1/16" hole in it. So a large hole is going to put more stress on the "patch" than an infinitely small small leak that is probably .001 or even smaller"  judging from the bubbles. The leak is coming through the threads on the pipe and coming through the gasket on the gauge. Both very very small leaks.  In fact when I put my electronic detector close to the bubbles it doesn't go off. I have to put the sensor right up against the bubbles to make it go off.  I think JB Weld might work where  where the top section screws into the pipe coming from the buried tank. But then getting in around that "gauge" is going to be an issue.
All that said I think I am screwed. I might change companies and see what happens and see if they want to also do a pressure test. 
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 01:17:18 PM »
All that said the items are in a tube that is about 2 feet in diameter. It comes just to the top which is ground level.  That doesn't leave much room to work in. My hope is if I have to have it fixed they have a way of removing the top section and replacing the whole unit and clean the threads before reinstalling it. I cannot imagine how much torque it is going need to break that top section off the 2 foot pipe leading into the ground tank.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Chatmanx

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 06:59:12 PM »
Honestly, I would let them try their test if they want to and see what happens. There has to be some flexibility in the test and you might pass. That would let you fix it on your schedule. If you fail, you have lots of good advice above and you can ask them about emptying your tank, cleaning threads, using the right Teflon tape, etc.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 12:49:00 AM »
Just an off the wall thought

Loctite do a wicking grade thread sealant  290 that I've used
https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/uk/en/product/threadlockers/loctite_290.html

Good news is that it definitely wicks into the thread,
Bad news is that it's a huge issue to break it apart later

A Google search/pet plumber might find an equivalent for pipe specific applications

You can't be the  first bloke with this issue  :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 12:50:57 AM by tris »
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Navydad

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 09:16:26 AM »
The test for propane or natural gas leaks is very sensitive and the only flexibility is 0% leaks. I have seen first hand what a propane leak can do and I don't recommend it to anyone. Fix it or find someone who can fix it. My two cents? this is a ticking bomb.

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 02:16:50 PM »
Check the advance weather forecast for a windy day and schedule the inspection.

You have corrosion issues that will compound over time.  Buy a couple of smaller tanks and set above ground.  Always keep one full. 

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 11:20:32 PM »
The test for propane or natural gas leaks is very sensitive and the only flexibility is 0% leaks. I have seen first hand what a propane leak can do and I don't recommend it to anyone. Fix it or find someone who can fix it. My two cents? this is a ticking bomb.

This is an outside tank buried in the ground in a flower bed 30' from the house.   It has had a very small leak for years. It has not been getting worse. In fact as I stated in the opening thread the soapy bubbles around the 3 areas involved are very very slow and very small. I liken them to watching bread rise. The sensitive on my meter is like you said 0%. I have to put the meter all but up against the areas where it seeps to set off the alarm. The bubbles tell me how much it coming out: the meter cannot tell me that.  March 2019 it was 80%. Today it is 35%. It is a 325 gallon tank. We cook and bake with gas. We have to boil all our water that we drink. We have a furnace that is used very little as we heat with wood.  So we have used approximately 160 gallons of propane in the past 14 months= less than 12 gallons per month usage.  A leak of any significance would have emptied that tank in 14 months.
I see no threat here.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2022, 06:16:20 AM »
I have 2 100 lbs tanks for our gas fireplace and they have to be recertified every 10 years.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2022, 06:31:06 AM »
I have 2 100 lbs tanks for our gas fireplace and they have to be recertified every 10 years.

That's because they are DOT tanks. Replace them with one 100 gallon ASME tank and you're done with the recert business.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline smsw

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2022, 10:49:52 AM »
Propane is heavier than air.  You said the leak at the threads and pressure gauge is in a 2' diameter pipe at ground level, which suggests that leaking propane could settle into the pocket in that big pipe.  The balloon usually goes up when there is a stack up of mistakes or conditions.  Rules and regulations exist because we tend to ignore 'insignificantly small leaks' or problems until they go boom.

I'm curious.  You said you did not think this was a dangerous situation.  So why post the question asking for opinions?  An expert will tell you to fix it.  An inspector will say the same.  An opinionated guy will say anything.

I'm with the fix it crowd.  Btw, Rigid makes pip wrenches up to 5' long and plumbers come in a variety of sizes so torque should not be a problem.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2022, 12:01:25 PM »
Propane is heavier than air.  You said the leak at the threads and pressure gauge is in a 2' diameter pipe at ground level, which suggests that leaking propane could settle into the pocket in that big pipe.  The balloon usually goes up when there is a stack up of mistakes or conditions. 
I'm curious.  You said you did not think this was a dangerous situation.  So why post the question asking for opinions? 

I asked the question in my last sentence. This question came up as a result of my propane company notifying me that their insurance company was directing them to test all tanks for leaks. So I asked "Maybe I am I crazy(so tell me if I am) that I think this is not a dangerous situation. I gotta ask if any of you all have been faced with such a situation and is there a quick and fast drying sealant than might work?"
I think this is not dangerous because 1. The leaks are extremely small. 2. There is no source of ignition even if I had a heavy leak. Of course if I had a heavy leak I would be fixing it.
The large diameter/17" hard plastic tube sits sealed on top of the tank buried in the ground 30" deep. As the heavier than air propane fills that tube it then gets pushed out and above a 2" diameter hole in the hinged cover and it vents away into the air. In fact with the cover closed I can put my sensor at that hole and it will sense propane but a low rate. I open the tank lid and enough vapor flows away that I have to put the meter down into the tank below the area of the leak for the sensor to activate.
Finally where is the ignition source seeing that this sits in the ground in a flower garden 30' from the house? 
 And given the extremely slow leak just how much volatile gas is contained in that tube to cause a so called boom. Even above ground propane tanks with a direct fire rarely explode.
The vast majority of gas explosions occur inside structures that hold a large volume of mixed air and gas with an ignition source. None of these are occurring at my outdoor buried tank. I guess I could drop a match down there which would give the ignition source.
 50 years ago I was a propane truck driver. Back then all furnaces had constant lit pilot lights with a thermocouple. I often was faced with the task of relighting a pilot light after someone had run out of gas after I filled the tank. I had the hair singed on my arm a few times as I held open the gas to the pilot light and enough gas filled the chamber to flash back towards my arms while I was trying to light the pilot light.  I remember that very few pilot lights were easily accessible. They all seem back up inside the furnace making it difficult to light a match without having some small amount of flash fire happen. 
Red 90 Mille GT

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2022, 01:17:50 PM »
RR90. I think your inquiry was a reasonable question and you got some reasonable answers and advice.
If I may add, if it were me and I had any doubts that the situation was safe or that I was wasting money on escaping propane, I would contact a heat and air professional and pay a service call to get the issue checked out.
Again thanks for confiding in the WGC form for assistance 👍

Dan

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2022, 02:16:29 PM »
RR90. I think your inquiry was a reasonable question and you got some reasonable answers and advice.
If I may add, if it were me and I had any doubts that the situation was safe or that I was wasting money on escaping propane, I would contact a heat and air professional and pay a service call to get the issue checked out.
Again thanks for confiding in the WGC form for assistance 👍

Dan

I like all the responses I have received. This has been a good thread.
I have a story about propane from about 48 years ago. I was 26 at the time and have been delivering propane for 2 years in central Illinois out of Effingham.  I delivered gas to many customers in this small village about 30 miles away called Herrick. This one particular day was very moist and damp and cloudy. I had filled a 500 gallon tank and when I shut the filler valve I then released the residual liquid in filler nozzle.  When I open the small valve on the nozzle it keep shooting liquid which told me that the valve on the tank I had just filled wasn't closing. Back then we had no phones in the truck. So I walked to the house and called my boss. I said Paul the filler valve on the tank keeps releasing liquid. What should I do? He said just disconnect from the tank and it will shut off. Don't worry the pressure will shut the valve.  Well I disconnected and the valve didn't close. I released 400 gallons of liquid in the next I don't remember maybe 10-15 minutes. It shot up in the air about 10 feet and then came down and laid all across the ground encompassing a larger and larger area as more gas was released. I realized that this cloud of gas was spreading to other houses and would move into the basements of these house. I thought of all those houses who might turn on electricity or their furnace with an open flame in the basement that is filling with my propane gas.  On a sunny warm day with a little breeze and it would have dissipated. But this stuff wasn't going anywhere. I called the local fire chief and he and all the fire brigade boys ran around to all the houses in that area telling people to not use the stoves nor turn on electricity and then shut off their gas to the furnace if they had a gas furnace. A few hours later and the sun came out and all the gas had dissipated and I moved on.
Here's the cause and it was my fault. I had not put the safety cap on the end of the filler nozzle on the truck I was driving that day. I pull it across the ground I got a small stone in the nozzle and that stone got stuck in the filler valve on the tank thus preventing it from not closing. I found that out when I came in the next day and my boss had picked the tank up and brought it. He was not to happy with me and I was lucky he didn't fire me.  :violent1:
Red 90 Mille GT

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 04:01:39 PM »
I like all the responses I have received. This has been a good thread.
I have a story about propane from about 48 years ago. I was 26 at the time and have been delivering propane for 2 years in central Illinois out of Effingham.  I delivered gas to many customers in this small village about 30 miles away called Herrick. This one particular day was very moist and damp and cloudy. I had filled a 500 gallon tank and when I shut the filler valve I then released the residual liquid in filler nozzle.  When I open the small valve on the nozzle it keep shooting liquid which told me that the valve on the tank I had just filled wasn't closing. Back then we had no phones in the truck. So I walked to the house and called my boss. I said Paul the filler valve on the tank keeps releasing liquid. What should I do? He said just disconnect from the tank and it will shut off. Don't worry the pressure will shut the valve.  Well I disconnected and the valve didn't close. I released 400 gallons of liquid in the next I don't remember maybe 10-15 minutes. It shot up in the air about 10 feet and then came down and laid all across the ground encompassing a larger and larger area as more gas was released. I realized that this cloud of gas was spreading to other houses and would move into the basements of these house. I thought of all those houses who might turn on electricity or their furnace with an open flame in the basement that is filling with my propane gas.  On a sunny warm day with a little breeze and it would have dissipated. But this stuff wasn't going anywhere. I called the local fire chief and he and all the fire brigade boys ran around to all the houses in that area telling people to not use the stoves nor turn on electricity and then shut off their gas to the furnace if they had a gas furnace. A few hours later and the sun came out and all the gas had dissipated and I moved on.
Here's the cause and it was my fault. I had not put the safety cap on the end of the filler nozzle on the truck I was driving that day. I pull it across the ground I got a small stone in the nozzle and that stone got stuck in the filler valve on the tank thus preventing it from not closing. I found that out when I came in the next day and my boss had picked the tank up and brought it. He was not to happy with me and I was lucky he didn't fire me.  :violent1:
Well there ya go, no harm done and lesson learned.
So let’s recap. You called someone who knew what to do to fix the issue🤔👍

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2022, 12:01:05 AM »

Yep, back when I lived in the country (still miss my tractor) we had 250 gallon above ground tank and the propane co. would pressure test it every ten years.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2022, 11:13:58 AM »
Here are the offending leaks. Note it took 10 minutes for these bubbles to grow to the size you see. These were not popping as they grew. The one leak on the on the shaft where the head screws on is slightly larger off to one side. I had to stick my phone down into the underground plastic tube and didn't get a perfect shot. But this is my point on how small these couple of leaks are.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:15:28 AM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2022, 11:31:46 AM »
Yep, back when I lived in the country (still miss my tractor) we had 250 gallon above ground tank and the propane co. would pressure test it every ten years.
ru

A true pressure test requires the empty tank to be submerged in water and pressurized  hydrostatically testing it with water pressure. My previous propane delivery boss  broke every rule in the book (which is probably why he did not fire me for my "stone stuck in the tank valve mistake). One year the corn crop was coming in at very high water content and required a lot of gas to dry out the corn. I remember driving by many farms with the corn dumped outside the grain bins covered in black mold. Anyhow my boss had an old delivery truck that had dual tanks with 2 X 1000 gallon capacity. These tanks were left open to atmosphere for years. He had them removed from a truck. Illinois gas regulations required him to have those tanks hydrostatically tested underwater. But instead he just took them and set them on a farm to dry corn. Never had them tested.   
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2022, 02:53:12 PM »

Not sure what I'm looking at but it sure looks like a pipe with a protective coating that exhibits heavily corroded spots where the coating failed and gas is leaking through the damaged metal.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2022, 04:25:03 PM »

Not sure what I'm looking at but it sure looks like a pipe with a protective coating that exhibits heavily corroded spots where the coating failed and gas is leaking through the damaged metal.

You are looking up at the end of the tube where the threaded cap with the valves and fuel gauge screws on to the filler pipe.  The leak is at the threads and not leaking through the filler pipe itself. There is one small blob of bubbles that broke from above and slide down the pipe. I can feel the threads with my finger nail all the way around the pipe. The black stuff is hard and has been on there since new. I can only guess it is some sort of sealant. But I do not know.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 04:30:16 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2022, 05:27:56 PM »
That's because they are DOT tanks. Replace them with one 100 gallon ASME tank and you're done with the recert business.
Larry

How am I going to carry a 100 gallon tank down to the LP place for a refill?   :wink:

Around here they aren't going to come fill you up if you aren't worth the trip. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2022, 02:52:16 PM »
There is no such thing as a small propane leak.

Ask any firefighter.

Fix it or replace it.  Or do without it. 

Those are the only options I see.

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Online larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2022, 02:18:45 PM »
How am I going to carry a 100 gallon tank down to the LP place for a refill?   :wink:

Around here they aren't going to come fill you up if you aren't worth the trip.

Sorry. Didn't know you can't get home delivery.
I inspect propane tank installs and gas piping several times a week. At least one a week for new standby generator projects. Nothing passes inspection if there's any leakdown on the gas piping air pressure test.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here