Author Topic: EV Help  (Read 602 times)

Online kmartin

• Hatchling
EV Help
« on: October 04, 2022, 06:46:03 AM »
I have a '04 Cal EV that I believe is in need of some mapping help.  It seems to run good, though I have an annoying flat spot at small throttle opening and relatively light load around 4000 RPM when cold.  It's great when I get it good and hot, and when the ambient temperature is good and hot. I'm mostly satisfied with the way it runs but have never gotten more than 30 MPG and have a lot of soot in the exhaust

I've replaced the TPS and adjusted the throttle body's enough times to convince myself I know how.  I replaced the cylinder temperature sensor, spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter.  Guzzidiag indicates a correct ambient air temperature and I believe the engine temp is correct.  While i have no reason to believe that the fuel map has been changed, I cant be certain that it hasn't.  I've never ridden a California that is known to be set up well so I have nothing to compare.

Can someone provide a known good fuel map, or a stock map that I may compare mine to?  I'm not aware of anything that I haven't checked that can cause this.

Thanks,  Keith
Keith Martin

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: EV Help
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 08:42:58 AM »
Have you checked the idle trim value? On my 2004 EV, I had the idle trim go whacko a couple of times for no reason.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 09:23:21 AM »
Hey let's meet in hill country one day (me and my EV are in S. Austin). 

Assuming it's not the computer/tps stuff, have you checked your exhaust crossovers for leaks?  The metal in the "muffler" underneath is really poor and will crack in many places.  Also the welds on the front crossover are prone to separate.  I  had issues in both spots and every time the indicator was my mpg.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 12:42:45 PM by Dilliw »
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 10:04:03 AM »
Pretty much in the same place with my 02. Does it have any mods on the bike? H pipe, different mufflers, open airbox etc? On some bikes they can make a huge difference in running. Mine had mods, and when I got it it hardly ran at all.  Check well for any vacuum leaks. Over time the stock hoses harden, and start to crack. Also check the throttle body to head rubbers. They can crack and leak air also, and over time the clamps can loosen. Ive been fighting this on mine, and I am slowly getting it better and better.
Paul B

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 10:04:03 AM »

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 10:12:10 AM »
Check your PM.

What did you set the baseline at for the TPS? Did you back out the idle screw and be sure the butterfly was closed? Then what did you set the LH TB at for idle?

Tom
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 05:27:46 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 09:30:34 PM »
Have you checked the idle trim value? On my 2004 EV, I had the idle trim go whacko a couple of times for no reason.

Check this first. Mine was awful at light throttle around town. Was leaned out on the trim. Tweaked that up and it's been great ever since!

Online kmartin

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 07:49:23 AM »

I think the idle trim is at 5, cant remember if its +/-.  I've since learned that I can go to big numbers either way but thought it's only idle and shouldn't change gas mileage perceptably?
Keith Martin

Online kmartin

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 07:53:38 AM »
Hey let's meet in hill country one day (me and my EV are in S. Austin). 

Assuming it's not the computer/tps stuff, have you checked your exhaust crossovers for leaks?  The metal in the "muffler" underneath is really poor and will crack in many places.  Also the welds on the front crossover are prone to separate.  I  had issues in both spots and every time the indicator was my mpg.

I'd love to meet someday, though it's easier said than done. :)

I do have some exhaust leaks and get backfires occasionally. I think maybe the front crossover and probably one of the head joints.  I put some new exhaust gaskets on the heads but one side didn't seem to seal well.  It has a H pipe that I think is in good shape.

Thanks for the input
Keith Martin

Online kmartin

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 07:59:19 AM »
Pretty much in the same place with my 02. Does it have any mods on the bike? H pipe, different mufflers, open airbox etc? On some bikes they can make a huge difference in running. Mine had mods, and when I got it it hardly ran at all.  Check well for any vacuum leaks. Over time the stock hoses harden, and start to crack. Also check the throttle body to head rubbers. They can crack and leak air also, and over time the clamps can loosen. Ive been fighting this on mine, and I am slowly getting it better and better.

I only have a few weeks of daily riding and I think I'll strip her down and check all the hoses.  It has an H pipe but is otherwise stock.  I took off the evap and connected the two intake manifold nipples together and gave the throttle body rubber a quick once over but a better inspection is probably warranted given the age.
Keith Martin

Online kmartin

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 08:04:39 AM »
Check your PM.

What did you set the baseline at for the TPS? Did you back out the idle screw and be sure the butterfly was closed? Then what did you set the LH TB at for idle?

Tom

Thanks for the map Tom. I've reviewed the use of Tuner Pro and hope to do some comparison tomorrow.
The TPS is set at 0.150, or as close as I could possibly get.  I've done the setting a few times and think I understand the procedure now.  I dont remember what the idle value is off hand, I expect its per the tuneboy writeup.
Keith Martin

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 09:02:36 AM »
The air bleed screw has a large effect on idle mixture, I preset them at 3/4 turn out. Don't forget to clean the passage on them, I've seen them plugged from residual goo & black on the screw.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 09:59:27 AM »
I'd love to meet someday, though it's easier said than done. :)

I do have some exhaust leaks and get backfires occasionally. I think maybe the front crossover and probably one of the head joints.  I put some new exhaust gaskets on the heads but one side didn't seem to seal well.  It has a H pipe that I think is in good shape.

Thanks for the input

Good deal.  I took the headers to a local welder and he fixed those joints right up.  On the advice of someone here I also left the clamp off of the front crossover.  That was about 40k ago. 

Even the Stucchi H Pipe cracked on my bike and I had to borrow a friend's stock takeoff.  For a while GT Cycles was selling a "never crack" version and I got one of those; that fixed it good.  The never crack is a 2 piece and has the same principle as taking off the clamp on the front one by letting the 2 pieces move a little bit.

Once you are certain the back end is all buttoned up you're back to chasing the stuff Wayne and Steve are mentioning.  My fix for those was always to just ride to Wayne's house but that was when I lived in SC.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here