Author Topic: A century lost . RIP Emma Morano  (Read 1315 times)

oldbike54

A century lost . RIP Emma Morano
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:20:08 AM »
 The last person born in the 19th century has passed . Emma Morano , Nov 29 1899 . Think about what she saw .

Dusty

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: A century lost . RIP Emma Morano
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 12:57:44 AM »
Oh yea.
My grandfather was born 1896 and died in 1982.  I often asked him about the changes we witnessed in his life.  Both wars, the birth of flight, a man on the moon, and such.  Just............... .....wow.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 05:06:00 AM »
"Just............... ........wow" is an understatement for sure, but I agree completely.

I have often thought about what some have seen during their lifetime. No doubt someone will think the same of us some day. (Technology that had developed over our lives, although I don't consider them nearly as significant as the developments during her lifetime.) But the things that she and others who lived during that time got to see happen had to be nothing short of amazing! The groundwork was laid for all we enjoy today.

John Henry

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 06:17:51 AM »
Most of her life appears to have been pretty shitty though. Further evidence that the best things about the 'Good Old Days' is that they're gone.

Lost her lover in WW1, forced into an abusive relationship, lost her only child in infancy.....

Sure her age is astonishing. But quality of life?

I hope there was at least some happiness in it.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 06:17:51 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 09:27:20 AM »
 Pete , she dumped the abusive guy in the 1930's , after that she seemed to be doing
fine . Unhappy people don't live to 117 normally , although for the family members of grouchy old folks it might feel like that long  :grin:

Dusty

Online sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 09:42:10 AM »
Well, just to be annoyingly correct, I'll point out that she was the last person born in the 1800s.  That's not the same as being the last person born in the 19th century, which continued until January 1, 1901.  So there.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:55:16 PM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »
Well, just to be annoyingly correct, I'll point out that she was the last person born in the 1800s.  That's not the same as being the last person born in the 19th century, which continued until January 1, 2001.  So there.

True , she was the last person born in the 1800's still living , but last I checked , 2001 wasn't in the 19th century  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 12:44:03 PM »
"Knowledge" is knowing that a tomato is technically a fruit.
"Wisdom" is knowing not to serve a tomato in a fruit salad.

"Knowledge" is knowing that the year 2000 is really part of the "20th Century".
"Wisdom" is not wasting any time believing it makes a difference or trying to convince people of it ......  :bow:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 12:56:32 PM »
True , she was the last person born in the 1800's still living , but last I checked , 2001 wasn't in the 19th century  :laugh:

Dusty

OK, I fixed it.  Geesh!.  Ya'd think that If I'm going to be annoyingly correct, I should at least be correct!

I've been hearin' that there are two people still alive who were born in the 19th century, one in Japan and one in Jamaica.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:00:19 PM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 01:09:44 PM »
OK, I fixed it.  Geesh!.  Ya'd think that If I'm going to be annoyingly correct, I should at least be correct!

I've been hearin' that there are two people still alive who were born in the 19th century, one in Japan and one in Jamaica.

Yeah , there are rumors , but very little documentation . The baseball great Satchel Paige was probably born in 1906 , but his mom claimed 1900 , and Satch himself played on that a bit  :laugh:

Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here