Author Topic: Replacement steering damper for EV  (Read 1769 times)

SDC

Replacement steering damper for EV
« on: November 04, 2015, 06:52:00 AM »
I'm thinking of replacing my stock damper with either an Ohlins or Matris unit.  The stock damper seems to have a stroke of about 110mm. Ohlins do a 90 and a120mm stroke so Im guessing the 120mm is the way to go. If anyone has experience of these I'd appreciate your thoughts and also any mods/ brackets required to make them fit a '98.

Orange Guzzi

Re: Replacement steering damper for EV
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:35:34 AM »
I put a "real" made in China, ordered from eb ay damper on my EV/Aluminium/Bassa.  The damper has to move in the right direction and on the right plane with the triple clamps or 90 degrees to the fork rotation. 

Also, the cheap China damper does not work the way I would expect it to work or the way a "real" damper works.  It works more in line with the Moto Guzzi oem friction type damper.  It only slows the rate of rotation due to the fluid being restricted and controlled by an adjustable orifice.   Sudden movements do not affect the dampening. 

The damper does make a difference though when ridding.  It really slows the transition from going straight to turning.  Actually making it much smother turning at low speeds.  It is hard to tell that the front end of a motorcycle is oscillating very slightly while riding and turning.  The damper seems to remove much of that.

A properly set up bike does not need a damper, which includes, tires, tire pressure, shocks, shock fluid viscosity, springs rates, rake, trail, riding speed and road conditions.  Race bikes have them because they do not have a high rake angle and trail number.  Making the front end shake at a certain speed.  Usually a lower speed. 

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 11:23:12 AM »
Matris from MG cycle has worked well for me, the first one has been in service for fifteen years and over a hundred K miles, still working well.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 11:29:34 AM »
The problem with most off the shelf dampers is they are a lot longer than the stock one and will hit the cylinder when you turn the wheel left. If you lower the fork attachment point, it allows the damper to go behind the cylinder and clear.

I designed up a little block and had it machined at work and it came out ok. this allowed use of an inexpensive damper I picked up online somewhere. Don't recall the brand or anything but it was around 100 bucks. If you've got the bucks for Ohlins, I'd go with the matris that MG sells since it will fit without any futzing.

Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 11:29:34 AM »

SDC

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 02:27:26 PM »
Thanks for that.  You've been very helpful as it's confirmed my understanding- that the Matris will fit straight on.

Surprisingly, in Australia, I've been quoted less for the ohlins than the Matris which is why I was interested in hearing if others had got them to fit - and which size.

SDC

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 02:48:53 PM »
I put a "real" made in China, ordered from eb ay damper on my EV/Aluminium/Bassa.  The damper has to move in the right direction and on the right plane with the triple clamps or 90 degrees to the fork rotation. 

Also, the cheap China damper does not work the way I would expect it to work or the way a "real" damper works.  It works more in line with the Moto Guzzi oem friction type damper.  It only slows the rate of rotation due to the fluid being restricted and controlled by an adjustable orifice.   Sudden movements do not affect the dampening. 

The damper does make a difference though when ridding.  It really slows the transition from going straight to turning.  Actually making it much smother turning at low speeds.  It is hard to tell that the front end of a motorcycle is oscillating very slightly while riding and turning.  The damper seems to remove much of that.

A properly set up bike does not need a damper, which includes, tires, tire pressure, shocks, shock fluid viscosity, springs rates, rake, trail, riding speed and road conditions.  Race bikes have them because they do not have a high rake angle and trail number.  Making the front end shake at a certain speed.  Usually a lower speed.

Yes, its an interesting question. I've ridden mine with and without the damper and can feel no difference.   I've tried repacking the oem damper  but it does not seem to provide a consistent damping. I can't be bothered adjusting it all the time.  Have come to the conclusion that
1. a decent damper may provide some improvement in feel
2. It will look good
3. There was a post in a thread I read a while back that talked about engineers putting dampers on bikes for a reason because under certain testing conditions they would have induced instability.... It was a good argument - convinced me. :wink:

SDC

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 03:30:17 AM »
Matris from MG cycle has worked well for me, the first one has been in service for fifteen years and over a hundred K miles, still working well.

Thanks for the MG Cycle tip, their pricing looks a lot sharper than the quotes I've had so far.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here