Author Topic: The time has come for a hearing aid  (Read 4189 times)

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
Re: The time has come for a hearing aid
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 09:03:52 AM »
The Resounds I tried out had all the latest tech,  Bluetooth and iPhone app to control and customize on the fly.  Bottom line they didn't provide the improvements I was looking for. 

On the plus side I added a bit to the cash set aside for the aids and got my Griso 😎
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2019, 09:05:00 AM »
I wear hearing aids and have for several years now.
I first became aware of my issue when I was about 18 and still in school. My doctor tagged me as a hypochondriac. 2 years later when I joined Qantas I went for a medical and they told me I had a serious hearing problem. From that day on, depending on what I was doing it was plugs or muffs or sometimes both e.g. if they blasting screws out with 10X guns in the hangar it was both.

Today I live in Denmark and it was whilst trying to learn the language it became obvious I needed help. I can hear and have a Cookie Bite graph with loss as much as 55dB in the meat of it, right where the human voice is. It became obvious I did a lot of lip reading as I know I need to see what is being said to understand the sound if there is any other noise around.

The BS about it getting worse if no action is taken is true. It is not the mechanics of it that gets worse though, it is the comprehension of what is being said and this is exactly why if you wait until it is too late, then it is exactly that. Just check how many older people have their devices stored in the top drawer of the dresser.

I use top notch kit and it transformed my ability to comprehend and speak Danish. The best I have had by a country mile we’re from Oticon and they were excellent. I have a Swiss brand today and they are only good.

Good luck. They are hard to get used to and it is different for each individual  but for me at least it has been worth it.
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2019, 10:37:29 AM »
Ah. One of my major PITA subjects, hearing aids.
My loss is inherited. My grandfather lost his hearing at an early age, is did my uncles, my father, my brother. I'm sure the wind noise when riding year round contributed, though I usually used ear plugs.

Many years ago I got a simple set of 'amplifiers' at Sams Club. They had some form of generic profile, and they really did help a lot.

Then a few years back, I got this hearing aid 'system'. It includes a calibrated hearing test device, that then programs the aids to you. That worked well. But after a couple of years I realized I needed something a bit more, including something for my tinnitus.

So last year, I visited an audiologist, and was fitted with aids that included tinnitus therapy. But I returned to her a dozen times, and was never satisfied with the results. A one point, I connected an audio analyzer to them, and found that the aids were creating a HUGE amount of distortion. HUGE. No wonder I was having issues.

So a couple months ago I found another audiologist that worked with the same brand. He started asking about the tests that the first audiologist did, and no, the first one did NOT do a lot of the testing that was needed to configure the aids. So he did all of the required testing, and setup of my old aids. He is in the middle of properly (I hope) configuring the aids. It takes multiple steps, and months, to complete, because you have to adjust to the new sounds. And I have tested those same aids, and there is little obvious distortion from them now. Imagine that.

So, it is important that you get a good audiologist. I screwed up the first time. Virtually ALL of the online reviews for that audiologist claim amazing results from her. But I now realize that she was very clueless about the devices and the setup software. So no, I have no idea how you can tell audiologists apart. And hearing aid prices are stupid overpriced. Yet you are held hostage by them, without much choice. The only advice I have is, if the audiologist you visit, does not have a multi-step plan over many weeks or months, that you need to do to set up the aids, as in, they are going to set them in one step and send you away, RUN AWAY from that audiologist.

And don't be concerned about the radio in them. It is low powered, low frequency, non-ionizing radiation, and only powered on when you hit the volume button. No reason to be paranoid about that.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:35:56 AM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 11:06:02 AM »
My MIL dispensed Hearing Aids for 40 years.  I learned 35 years ago to protect my hearing by wearing hearing protection whenever working with tools, around engines, riding, concerts, etc.  At 57 I have great hearing, but that can go away in a heartbeat because of disease. 

I was on heavy intravenous antibiotics for 8 weeks when I got an infection in my spine and ended up with some tinnitus as a side effect.   
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 11:06:02 AM »

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 11:33:01 AM »
The only advice I have is, if the audiologist you visit, does not have a multi-step plan over many weeks or months, that you need to do to set up the aids, as in, they are going to set them in one step and send you away, RUN AWAY from that audiologist.

Decades ago I learned the same thing about Optometrists.  They take their measurements but then there's the "judgement" of what is needed.  My experience is the judgement is more important.  I go to the Optometrist that the Optometrists go to.......

Butt back on hearing.

I was worried about my hearing after Decades of Construction.  10 years ago I tested with an audiologist for custom hunting earplugs and she said my hearing was quite good.

Two years ago I had a sudden loss in one ear.  It was weird, I lost my base, midrange seemed ok, more treble and lots of reverb - which really messes with your head.  The local university hospital tested me thoroughly worried that I might have a disease that causes debilitating vertigo.  They told me to come back immediately if I get hit with vertigo or in 6 months if nothing changes.  Well my hearing slowly improved, mainly the reverb has gone away.

I researched hearing aids and found they don't work for reverse slope hearing.  Not enough of a market.

I donated all my old stereo equipment and got a set of wireless headphones for the TV.

My brain seems to have reprogrammed itself so the disconcerting reverb is gone.

The good news is now with one ear I hear dog whistles better.     :shocked:

The bad news is I can still hear the wife when she's mad about something.      :thewife:
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Tom Farley

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2019, 11:36:33 AM »
I was talking to a rider the other week who wears hearing aids in both ears.    He can control the volume level, tone, etc with an app on his phone.

He tells me that when he cranks up the bike, he just punches "Off" using his phone to turn off the hearing aids and they turn into ear plugs ... when he's done, he turns them back on and they're hearing aids again.

That should work, shouldn't it?

Lannis

Well Lannis, it should but it doesn't. I've tried it a couple times using my Resound aids. They don't block much
sound when turned off, the guy you talked to must be very deaf if he thinks that.
I have thought a few times that the Resound aids imbedded in molded silicone plugs might be able to do that.
I like fabricating and modifying things but so far I'm hesitant about messing around with tiny $6K electronic things.

Amissville, Virginia
'00 Jackal, '82 V50III, '04 Breva 750, '76 I-Convert, '12 klr650, '15 Versys 650

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2019, 01:47:19 PM »
I was talking to a rider the other week who wears hearing aids in both ears.    He can control the volume level, tone, etc with an app on his phone.

He tells me that when he cranks up the bike, he just punches "Off" using his phone to turn off the hearing aids and they turn into ear plugs ... when he's done, he turns them back on and they're hearing aids again.

That should work, shouldn't it?

Lannis

Not unless they are closed dome, and even at that I would doubt the effectiveness of db reduction.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 02:41:03 PM »
Well, you guys would know ... but just goes to show that it all flies in the face of what you might THINK.

I mean, I can put on a helmet that has pads right up against my ears; you would think that would knock out 50% of the sound, and THEN I stuff things (hearing aids turned "off") in my ears that block 95% of the ear canal.    And doing all that STILL doesn't cut down the noise of a normal motorcycle ride so that it doesn't damage your hearing?

I guess it's why audiology is a science and not a guessing game.   I've got to go back anyway to get some new molded protectors, I'll get them checked and see how close I am to this $6K deal ...  :sad:

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline yellowheader

• New Egg
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2019, 02:59:53 PM »
I have almost total hearing loss in my left ear, going back to when I was a kid. I've been to a couple of audiologists, but they told me a hearing aid wouldn't help with my type of hearing loss. I think hearing in my right ear is gradually getting worse, so I wear an earplug (I only need one!) for highway riding. I mostly used the orange foamie ones, but they tended to bother my ears and push the wax around so it clunks when I move my head. :tongue: This year I bought some silicone plugs that are supposed to be made for motorcycling. They're much more comfortable and I think they do a better job than the foamies of letting in vocal sounds and blocking out noise.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:06:43 PM by yellowheader »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2019, 03:01:49 PM »
I won't wear a radio transmitter in my head.  That's what most modern hearing aids have.  the VA sent me to get one back in 20 12 and it took a week to get the custom fitted hearing aid.  I took two visits for them to tune it for me.
 on the way home I reached up to turn the volume down on the one in the right ear.  this caused the volume to lower in the left one too.  I adjusted it back up and the left one followed suit.  I went back to ask why it did this.  They told me that the two communicated with each other by radio.  I complained that they could have told me that before all the work had been done.  I gave them back their 6,000 dollar hearing aid and left.  I don't want any radio inside my head, transmitter or receiver.  I have done without a hearing aid since no one seems to make one that doesn't use radio.

Did you think they would be two soup cans connected by a string?  :grin:...

I have noticable hearing loss in one ear and my high range is both is poor... An audiologist expplained to me that hearings aids will increse the volume and range but not necessariy the clarity. She said to buy used ones and see if they will work for me.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2019, 03:10:26 PM »
They told me that the two communicated with each other by radio

Uhh, bluetooth. If you are afraid of bluetooth, better get your tinfoil hat.  :smiley: It's everywhere.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2019, 05:26:16 PM »
Lannis, I believe there are aids that shuts out most sound. Nowadays however, people who don't suffer from severe hearing loss, use a tiny speaker kept in place in the ear with a "dome" - a small, thin rubber diaphragm which could be either perforated or closed. Like Chuck, I'd guess even the closed dome would let sound in.

Another angle: Helmets should fit so snugly that you can't wear a behind-the-ear aid with your helmet on.
Annoying, as by the time I've taken off my aids, put them in their box and put the box in my pocket and then put my helmet on - my riding buddies have left a long time ago!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:13:54 PM by pebra »
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2019, 06:43:18 PM »
Uhh, bluetooth. If you are afraid of bluetooth, better get your tinfoil hat.  :smiley: It's everywhere.

Actually, the communications between the aids is a relatively low frequency, and of course incredibly low powered. Many of them around 10MHz, as opposed to the high frequency 2.4GHz Bluetooth or wifi. And it is an extremely short burst only when you press the button to change a setting. Yes, there are also bluetooth aids, but even those talk to each other over that low frequency channel as far as I have seen.

And as you say, WiFi and Bluetooth are everywhere. Including high power versions. I am seeing 10 unknown to me, WiFi SSIDs as I sit here. (one of them call "get ya own")  :cheesy:  And I'm not in a city. But I'm not hiding.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2019, 06:47:21 PM »
I mean, I can put on a helmet that has pads right up against my ears; you would think that would knock out 50% of the sound, and THEN I stuff things (hearing aids turned "off") in my ears that block 95% of the ear canal.    And doing all that STILL doesn't cut down the noise of a normal motorcycle ride so that it doesn't damage your hearing?

You can get them where they are fairly open, allowing natural sound in and the aid just assists, or very closed, where most of the sound gets piped in through the aid. I have had to try most of them, and found that even the closed ones don't block a lot of natural sound.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2019, 07:12:49 PM »
Actually, the communications between the aids is a relatively low frequency, and of course incredibly low powered. Many of them around 10MHz, as opposed to the high frequency 2.4GHz Bluetooth or wifi. And it is an extremely short burst only when you press the button to change a setting. Yes, there are also bluetooth aids, but even those talk to each other over that low frequency channel as far as I have seen.

And as you say, WiFi and Bluetooth are everywhere. Including high power versions. I am seeing 10 unknown to me, WiFi SSIDs as I sit here. (one of them call "get ya own")  :cheesy:  And I'm not in a city. But I'm not hiding.

Thanks for the clarification, Wayne. I *assumed* mine talked to each other on bluetooth because they can bluetooth to the phone or tv, etc.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2019, 09:40:49 PM »
Oticon Opn’s are what you want. These are the only aids that can actively manage background noise, which is the most common issue for hearing aid users. All other current hearing aids do not have any real method of compensating for noise, so the user will suffer in restaurants or any place where multiple people are talking.

Costco sells rebadged hearing aids under their Kirkland brand. These are simply lesser versions of name brand aids.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:52:31 PM by Travman »
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Offline Tom Farley

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2019, 05:17:54 AM »
Oticon Opn’s are what you want. These are the only aids that can actively manage background noise, which is the most common issue for hearing aid users. All other current hearing aids do not have any real method of compensating for noise, so the user will suffer in restaurants or any place where multiple people are talking.

Costco sells rebadged hearing aids under their Kirkland brand. These are simply lesser versions of name brand aids.

Don't know about any others, but the Resound aids have a noise filtering feature that is controlled with the phone ap.
In restaurant mode you can dial down background noise and also narrow the focus to just the person you want to hear. Very effective and useful.
Amissville, Virginia
'00 Jackal, '82 V50III, '04 Breva 750, '76 I-Convert, '12 klr650, '15 Versys 650

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2019, 07:18:12 AM »
Don't wear your hearing aids on the bike. You'll just be amplifying the sounds that made you deaf in the first place. As someone else mentioned above, Wear Ear Plugs when riding, take them out and put in your aids afterward.  This isn't rocket science, folks..
  I'm looking for information and experiences of hearing aid users. As I stated I know you remove hearing aids when putting on your helmet and use ear plugs mostly, my hearing loss isn't going away. That said unless you have some direct experience with hearing aids and their use maybe you could allow someone else to learn something?

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2019, 07:55:04 AM »
Just because you are in Costco, it doesn't mean you have to buy Kirkland aids. Because there is so much profit in hearing aids, the local audiologist, would let you do extended demos for free. I'm talking weeks here. Therefore, I demoed every one they carried, from the $2000 pair to the $6500 pair. This was several years ago, when that was a lot of money.  :shocked:  :smiley:
Costco opened a hearing aid department (sort of) locally, and I was one of Frank's first customers. They don't let you have an extended demo, but he set up a pair and let me walk around the store as much as I liked. They happened to be Bernafon, and were better than the last $6K pair I'd tried. They were $2500.
Wayne and I have PMed back and forth for years. We've both had the same issues with setup and distortion. The person that sets them up is almost as important as the maker themselves.

HUGE amount of distortion. HUGE.
I never could get Kathy at the audiologist's place to understand that one.
After many years with the Costco Bernafons, I asked Frank at Costco what the best they carried were, now. He told me Phonaks. "Want to try some?" Absolutely.
As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the Phonak setup is "different" than others I've tried. It plots frequency response in real time, and the computer can make automatic changes depending on your particular hearing loss. That takes *some* of the skill out of it, but definitely not all. One time, another employee tuned mine up. A week later, I had Frank redo what she had done.  :grin:
It's way past time for me to go back and get a tuneup. Your hearing continues to deteriorate as you age, and the aids need to be tweeked occasionally for best results.
That is FREE (Guzzi content) at Costco. The only thing you have to buy is batteries. Kirkland batteries rock, btw. Cheaper by far and last longer than the higher priced spread.
I have no dawg in this hunt except to tell you guys that you *can* hear better if you want to put in the time and some money. I fully remember when I first started using them and thought they were a ripoff *many* years ago.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline NWrider

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2019, 09:43:26 AM »
What Phonak model are you using?

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2019, 10:23:12 AM »
What Phonak model are you using?

Brio. I have the com pilot also..

Phonak Hearing Aids: The Phonak Brio 3 sold at Costco Hearing Centers are available in custom in-ear, BTE and RIE models and a Power RIE hearing aid that works well in the most challenging hearing environments. Phonak hearing aids boast an exclusive operating system used to analyze sound levels around the wearer to automatically adjust the settings.
phonak hearing aids

Source: Costco

Brio 3 hearing aids come in a variety of colors, and the Phonak Remote app for Android and iOS acts as a remote control for Brio 3 R-C hearing aids. You can enjoy the convenience of hands-free phone calls and streaming music or TV audio directly to the Brio 3 R-C model.

If you choose a lower model Brio 3 hearing aid, you can use the Phonak ComPilot Air II to send stereo-quality streaming sound to your hearing aids. The ComPilot lets you stream from Bluetooth-enabled devices and works with the Phonak TVLink and RemoteMic hardware for streaming TV or audio over distance directly to the hearing aids. Top of the line Phonak hearing aids cost around $1,400 at Costco.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2019, 10:41:26 AM »
So far, the only advantage I've realized from getting older is being able to retire.

My ENT says it's time for hearing aids - he says that not doing so will lead to further (and rapid) deterioration of my hearing.

So what's the experience of this group with hearing aids?  I assume some of you may wear them when you ride.

Thanks,

So you weren't just ignoring me at Cedar Vale , feel a little better now  :grin:

In all seriousness , hope this has a workable solution  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2019, 11:46:26 AM »
My dad and his brother both lost their hearing, beginning in their 30s. With me it's going more slowly but I've got 80% loss in the right ear and about 20% loss in the left. A couple of years ago I bought the Kirkland 8 at Costco and they make a big difference in one-on-one conversation, conference-room meetings, movies, listening to radio/TV. Not so much help in background-noise environments like restaurants. Partial solution is to select the restaurant mode and get a table in the corner and face the corner. The hearing aids also help when driving with Gail, because without them and my deaf ear facing her conversation is limited. In general she's happier when I wear them than when I respond to each of her sentences with "What?). While driving I use the Outdoor mode which knocks some of the wind noise out.

Behind-the-ear units need to be compatible with the temple pieces of my spectacles. Not much a problem with wire-frames, but my thick sunglass frames can get in the way if anything else goes over the ear, like my ski helmet. Pressure on the mastoid soon grows painful. As my hearing deteriorates I'll need hearing aids to communicate with my ski school clients so I'll eventually need in-the-canal units.

This is worth reading: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/03/high-tech-hope-for-the-hard-of-hearing    According to this article, competition will soon drive the cost of hearing aids down, and companies like Apple and Samsung will enter the market with much more sophisticated products.  I'm hoping for an in-the-ear plug-type hearing aid that can be toggled over to noise-cancelling mode, plus Bluetooth with audio, telephone and GPS devices. Then I won't have to take them out on the motorcycle and they'll be useful traveling by plane etc.

All this said there's a learning curve. It takes some time to grow used to having the domes in your ears, and mine tickled annoyingly for weeks until someone clued me in about lubricating with a drop of olive oil.

70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2019, 02:10:00 PM »
I have been fitting hearing aids for 10 years. Most places that fit hearing aids have a relationship with one or two manufacturers and rarely change brands. Therefore they only really know what they are told about their aids from their brand representatives. At my practice we fit and tune all of the main hearing aid brands so I do have the opportunity to see how satisfied each customer can be. I can’t emphasize how enthusiastic and happy clients have been when switching to Oticon Opn’s. Most of them sound ready to make a commercial. We regularly give clients multiple demos with different brands and customers that try two or three different sets can always tell the difference.

Take a look at this video of an independent audiologist that reviews hearing aids. I like his videos because he does fit multiple brands and he does appear competent. Please look at 0:30-0:50 where there is a short description of how the Opn aids handle background sounds. All other aids simply turn off the back and side mic’s which just reduces what you are hearing. This means you will miss sounds you want to hear. Also, when rooms get truly noisy sound does not stay behind you. It comes in through that front mic and makes it impossible to follow the conversation you are trying to hear.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rk5vNaI-fls&t=64s

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:00:51 PM by Travman »
Travis King

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2019, 04:08:55 PM »
The Bluetooth connections that are available to stream sound directly to hearing aids will make the user’s life a lot easier. However, Bluetooth connectivity should not be your most important factor for making your decision. All decent hearing aids can stream sound from your TV, phone, and tablet. There are plenty of adjustments that can be made so that the user will be hearing clearer than they thought was possible.

Everyone that wears aids should be working with their specialist to take advantage of these technologies. I am always amazed at the number of clients that weren’t fit initially at our office that aren’t taking advantage of their Bluetooth connectivity. Don’t turn down the opportunity because you think you are hearing pretty well with your hearing aids. You will be hearing that phone call or TV program with even more clarity. The bonus is it costs very little or nothing when you are already wearing aids.
Travis King

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2019, 09:07:05 AM »
Thanks for the tips about Oticon Opn, Travman and others!
I'm already looking forward to the next time I will get new aids, in about 3 years. Sounds like Oticon have a good solution for a difficult problem.

Btw, several of the largest manufacturers of hearing aids happen to be Danish. -  Oticon, Resound and Widex come to mind.
Some say the characteristics of the Danish spoken language make Danes need hearing aids far earlier than others. It's a strange language, every word sounds like a blur, hard to hear exactly which word is being pronounced, so I'd believe it.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2019, 09:33:00 PM »
My wife tried several. Lyric was her absolute favorite. I think made by Phonak. Unfortunately they didn't work for her unique situation but I know would be her first recommendation as a user. She tried another brand their were CIC and hated them. Her current pair are Oticon over the ear. I wouldn't say she loves them but they meet her needs and serve their purpose.

Also, what Wayne said about setup. She goes to the audiologist multiple time for set up, fine tuning. Still makes an annual trip for fine tuning. I think she's had them about 7 years. Unfortunately they are probably near worn out.

-AJ
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 10:21:47 PM by AJ Huff »
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online hzbloke

• New Egg
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2019, 10:49:26 PM »
I've had hearing aids for about a year (Phonak), what I've learned is that putting in hearing aids is not like putting on a pair of glasses. Everything will not suddenly become crystal clear and, sometimes, they are useless. But mainly they're pretty good.
2019 Kawasaki Z900rs
2008 Breva 750
1986 BMW R65

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2019, 07:49:12 AM »
I appreciate all the information. It appears to me I need to shop for an audiologist first. Does anyone have a recommendation for one in the KC area? Thanks again for all the feedback. :popcorn: :bike-037:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here