Author Topic: Do you let people steal your time? Dealer rant.  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Curtis Harper

• Gaggle Hero
    • Harpers Moto Guzzi
Do you let people steal your time? Dealer rant.
« on: June 27, 2019, 04:38:03 PM »
Sorry guys I don't normally speak out in such a manner but I have to say this. I see threads on here all the time about "This poor dealer, That poor dealer, they all close. Why can't we keep a dealer around"? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and try to explain a little bit. If you don't support your dealer, he won't be there.

If you buy you parts in the cheapest place possible, and then can't figure out how to fix your bike, why is it the Guzzi dealer's responsibility to explain it to you? (Because the seller didn't post any contact information)

If you are looking at something on Ebay, why is it the Guzzi dealers responsibility to tell you if it will fit your bike? (Because the seller says, check with your sealer to verify fitment)

If you are buying something at Autozone, why is it the Guzzi dealer's responsibility to supply you the cross reference information? (Because you can get that filter for $2 cheaper)

If you want to sell your parts, why is it the Guzzi dealer's responsibility to tell you what they are worth, (Because you don't want to let it go too cheap)

If you use the internet and the parts supplier will not answer their phone and give you assistance, why can't you take the responsibility to figure it out. You know, like we did before the internet.......

Doing this robs time from the Guzzi dealer and does not allow him to get his paying customers taken care of.

Or from the customer side, the guy that supports his dealer....

If you were standing in line at the parts counter trying to get your parts, how mad would you be if people kept calling and tying up that parts guy's time asking questions about parts they bought on line while you are there with cash?  No, you would get irritated because you want to get your parts and get home to fix your bike.

If you have your bike in for a scheduled service, and people keep calling "Needing tech help" and interrupting the service tech, do you want your bike being focused on? Of course you want to be the main focus of the dealer when you are in the store.

Folks, here is the real tragedy of this modern world. Motorcycle shops that can survive on small brands need the support of the customer as much as the customer needs the shop. But we as modern consumers have been trained to "Google it", or look it up on Amazon. I assure you, both parties will thrive if you stay with in the Guzzi world. Next time you buy something online, before you ever put anything into that cart, make sure they have contact information and customer service to back up what they are selling you. Yes there is a bit of hypocrisy to this since we operate a large website, but our number and name is on every page and we have product knowledge to go with it.

This week alone I have spent more than 12 hours on the phone helping people with problems with parts that they bought elsewhere. This is time taken away from paying, loyal customer that need and deserve being taken care of. And I'm sure I'm not the only one that does this. If you buy your parts from Harper's we will take all the time you need to get things sorted out for you if you are having an issue. But if you get them from a webstore with no contact information, consider yourself uninformed.

And the next time a Guzzi dealer closes his doors, maybe give this thread a thought or two. 

Rant over, gotta get back to shipping, Have a great 4th of July

More Moto Guzzi parts than anywhere.
www.harpermoto.com
1-816-697-3411
curtis@harpermotocom

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Do you let people steal your time? Dealer rant.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 04:51:43 PM »
Curtis, had the same problem in the fishing tackle business. Guys would buy a reel and then come to us expecting for us to give them a deal on line. Even had many calls about how to use something they bought elsewhere. I always tried to be helpful, but cut it short without being rude. Bought from us, I'd take all the time they need.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 04:58:59 PM »
      Spot on Curtis.   I know I'm the exception but when I'm interacting with the clerk or counter person and they say excuse me I've got a call, I politely put down anything I'm carrying and walk out. It's the responsibility of the proprietor to train his people to respond to the person standing in front of him and not pick up the phone.  Common courtesy, but that's long gone it seems. Just my $.02

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 04:59:41 PM »
I was in the new car parts world for 25 years... I understand you fully!!!!
Paul B

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 04:59:41 PM »

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 05:01:44 PM »
I have a policy of: I will call for info only if I intend to place an order. Especially with online motorcycle sites like Harper's because they are too small to have dedicated staff, unlike sites like Revzilla.  Email is more considerate to the vendor, he can answer it when and if it is convenient.
Curtis, hold me to that next time I phone!
Bill
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 05:04:37 PM »
I would say that it's a careful balance that as a dealer you want to be mindful.

Let's say I call up and ask how to fit some cheap part I bought off Ebay. Your responses may be the following:

*Click* (you probably just lost me as a customer)
A rant about cheap parts and how they are killing you as a dealer. (you probably just lost me as a customer but I understand)
Helpful conversation about how the part works and what things to look for in a quality part. (If I'm a dolt I might get offended that you want me to buy a second more expensive part from you, or if I've got half a brain I appreciate the time you took and you may have a customer for life)

Customer Service is a part of sales. Insanely great customer service always equals more sales. But putting up with some customers is a huge challenge. Lord knows I couldn't do it.
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 05:40:17 PM »
What Curt said is correct information. I, as a consumer, am guilty of surfing the web for the best deal. However when it comes to parts I need for the 1400 like gaskets, filters, and OEM stuff I usually call Harpers because I know I’ll get the right stuff the first time because they know Moto Guzzi. Ok my butt kiss is over😂😂😂

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 05:42:44 PM »
Great post, Curtis. Totally true, but sadly not as relevant to most callers as it is to those who answer the call.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 06:07:19 PM »
Agreed Curtis.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 06:12:39 PM »
pick any hobby and Curtis' post applies.
Blue Guzz

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 06:14:43 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 07:58:16 PM »
I personally never ask a vendor for advice on parts sourced somewhere else.

Maybe set up a pay per minute help line.  When someone calls looking for help that is is otherwise unrelated to business activity and you cross the minute mark, offer "We're happy to provide more advice, but we're really swamped in the store at the moment.  Can you call me back at X:XX when we're not so busy on our help line 1-800-FIX-HELP?  It's free if you bought your parts from us, only $1.95 a minute otherwise."

With a little practice you polish the pitch to break the rough edges.  If they're offended, so what maybe, they aren't exactly loyal.  It foster a bit of guilt for not buying from you then asking for help.  Maybe encourage them to buy from you next time.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:59:07 PM by Matt Story »
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 08:40:04 PM »
It's not just parts either. If you buy a bike from a dealer, especially a new one, have the dealer service it. It fosters a relationship and by taking it back to them they gain valuable feedback from you as well as insight into how the bike is doing and what is changing on it as the miles go by. This benefits the entire community by building an experienced dealer network.
I am fully aware that some of us would have to travel quite a distance to accomplish this. The nearest to me is 2:30 if you're on the goodfoot. But if more people did this it would lead to better service for everyone. And that would sell more bikes. And then there might be more dealers. One might even be near me.
Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline T4halo

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 08:42:58 PM »
I ride older Guzzi’s. 70 Ambo & 83 Cal II.  Since Larry Kline passed away and GT Motors has closed I order parts from Harpers and Scrambler. Both have given me fantastic service and quick shipping.

7th & 10th SF retired

pete roper

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 08:50:04 PM »
So I'm arse deep in a recalcitrant Stelvio that has been 'Shaved Aped' and I'm trying to un-break it when the sound of a kitten farting happens out the front of the shop. Behold, a knob on a BMW! I think he's there to see Daniel about his car or something and return to cursing the Stelvio. But no! Bec comes out with said knob and gives me 'The look' and says "Bloke wants to talk to you." Now this is a not so subtle hint that the bloke is clearly an idiot but I Sigh, turn round, smile and ask what I can help with.

Turns out he's just bought an 850 GT, (An Eldorado by any other name.) and my heart sinks. Yes, it needs work, no it still has chrome bores but it doesn't smoke so he's not going to change them but it's gearbox is not working. Can I tell him how to go apart stripping it, shimming it and lend him any special tools he'll need to get it apart? (Note no suggestion of implied payment!).

Well, no I can't. If he wants to bring it in we can do the job together and I'll talk him through it so next time he'll know what's involved. Oh well that wouldn't do. All he wanted was some advice and to know what parts to order! I wasn't very helpful. He'd just muddle through it on his own.

I pointed out he'd just interrupted my work and taken up half an hour of my life that I'd never get back again and cordially invited him to vacate my workshop and stop wasting my time.

He said I was rude.

I told him he didn't know what rude was.

He got back on the farting kitten and departed after telling Bec he was going to 'Ruin my reputation'.

Bec laughed so hard a bit of wee nearly escaped.

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 09:05:30 PM »
 Hate to break this to anyone , but this goes on with carpenters , painters , electricians , doctors , lawyers , and even us less than professional fixers of things . Just how it is , human nature being what it is .

I've actually been treated rudely by a dealer , called from 5 hours away , had the part number , was told the part didn't exist , I must be wrong . It took 5 minutes of patience on my part to convince the *experienced* guy on the other end that in fact the part did exist , he finally grudgingly admitted it did and they had it in stock . So this can be a two way street .

Dusty

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 09:12:47 PM »
Hate to break this to anyone , but this goes on with carpenters , painters , electricians , doctors , lawyers , and even us less than professional fixers of things . Just how it is , human nature being what it is .

I've actually been treated rudely by a dealer , called from 5 hours away , had the part number , was told the part didn't exist , I must be wrong . It took 5 minutes of patience on my part to convince the *experienced* guy on the other end that in fact the part did exist , he finally grudgingly admitted it did and they had it in stock . So this can be a two way street .

Dusty
   Word

Pizza Guzzi

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 09:42:45 PM »
So I'm arse deep in a recalcitrant Stelvio that has been 'Shaved Aped' and I'm trying to un-break it when the sound of a kitten farting happens out the front of the shop. Behold, a knob on a BMW! I think he's there to see Daniel about his car or something and return to cursing the Stelvio. But no! Bec comes out with said knob and gives me 'The look' and says "Bloke wants to talk to you." Now this is a not so subtle hint that the bloke is clearly an idiot but I Sigh, turn round, smile and ask what I can help with.

Turns out he's just bought an 850 GT, (An Eldorado by any other name.) and my heart sinks. Yes, it needs work, no it still has chrome bores but it doesn't smoke so he's not going to change them but it's gearbox is not working. Can I tell him how to go apart stripping it, shimming it and lend him any special tools he'll need to get it apart? (Note no suggestion of implied payment!).

Well, no I can't. If he wants to bring it in we can do the job together and I'll talk him through it so next time he'll know what's involved. Oh well that wouldn't do. All he wanted was some advice and to know what parts to order! I wasn't very helpful. He'd just muddle through it on his own.

I pointed out he'd just interrupted my work and taken up half an hour of my life that I'd never get back again and cordially invited him to vacate my workshop and stop wasting my time.

He said I was rude.

I told him he didn't know what rude was.

He got back on the farting kitten and departed after telling Bec he was going to 'Ruin my reputation'.

Bec laughed so hard a bit of wee nearly escaped.

Pete based on my personal experience you go above and beyond for decent folks in need, let the wankers walk ! Bet you're not losing any sleep over that toss pot " ruining your reputation " 😄

Glenn

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 09:53:38 PM »
So know body is guilty?  Of course not who would admit it?   So much easier to jump on the bandwagon, “yeah, what he said “

Put your money where your mouth is.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 10:04:53 PM »
 ^^^Huh ?

Dusty

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 10:09:35 PM »

Sorry to burst your bubble Chad , but there are a lot of us old school enthusiasts who enjoy researching cross reference material, looking up part numbers and getting a hold of old parts books to find a generic part or a spec on a part and coming up with  proper part to use without wasting other peoples time.  Ever heard of a Hollander catalog? Priceless in the automotive world. There is a lot of information that has not been digitized and thrust on the internet so most folks have no clue and just make a call. Not My Style :evil:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 10:42:29 PM »
I once was a dealer for HiFi and TV equipment here in our North Germany Middle Town. I made exactly the same experience - decades ago! Of course, then not the internet was the culprit, but big chains like Media Markt with a lot of very badly schooled people and cheap prices.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 11:05:14 PM »
I don't look up part numbers, but I don't have too. Harper's website has parts diagrams and you just copy and paste the part number.
MG cycle has pictures, and descriptions.
Anything odd, or if there is a question, I call with debit card in hand. How's that for literally putting your money eyes where you mouth is.  :azn:

For everything else it's a web search.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 12:02:22 AM »
CUSTOMER SERVICE.   The ONE thing controllable.
Hire inexperienced, don't invest in training, pay them barely above minimum wage employees & any business will suffer.
Excel in every way imaginable & any business will succeed & create a customer for life.
Despite Sears slogan from the 50's " the customer's always right", no, they're not though they may get their way. Having said that there are to many people to make'em all happy & some customers/patients you don't want & are better off letting them know.

Bought a $400 helmet from a dealer yesterday coulda bought cheaper on line. They're good folks!

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2019, 05:10:16 AM »
When I ring Mario for parts he tries to talk me out of it if I don’t absolutely need them.

I spread my dollar but don’t have a close dealer.
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

beetle

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 05:44:13 AM »

Wait, what? I've been trying to ruin your reputation by telling people you're a good bloke! Now this pillock is going to undo all my good work!

:violent1:

oldbike54

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 06:22:29 AM »

Wait, what? I've been trying to ruin your reputation by telling people you're a good bloke! Now this pillock is going to undo all my good work!

:violent1:

Pete is a good bloke , the best , well , next to you , right Mark ?  :laugh:

Dusty

beetle

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 06:27:21 AM »
Pete is a far better man than I.

I'm just a high functioning nerd who has been in a very bad mood for 54 years.

oldbike54

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 06:29:54 AM »
  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2019, 06:58:15 AM »
Sorry guys I don't normally speak out in such a manner but I have to say this. I see threads on here all the time about "This poor dealer, That poor dealer, they all close. Why can't we keep a dealer around"? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and try to explain a little bit. If you don't support your dealer, he won't be there.

If you buy you parts in the cheapest place possible, and then can't figure out how to fix your bike, why is it the Guzzi dealer's responsibility to explain it to you? (Because the seller didn't post any contact information)

If you are looking at something on Ebay, why is it the Guzzi dealers responsibility to tell you if it will fit your bike? (Because the seller says, check with your sealer to verify fitment)

If you are buying something at Autozone, why is it the Guzzi dealer's responsibility to supply you the cross reference information? (Because you can get that filter for $2 cheaper)

If you want to sell your parts, why is it the Guzzi dealer's responsibility to tell you what they are worth, (Because you don't want to let it go too cheap)

If you use the internet and the parts supplier will not answer their phone and give you assistance, why can't you take the responsibility to figure it out. You know, like we did before the internet.......

Doing this robs time from the Guzzi dealer and does not allow him to get his paying customers taken care of.

Or from the customer side, the guy that supports his dealer....

If you were standing in line at the parts counter trying to get your parts, how mad would you be if people kept calling and tying up that parts guy's time asking questions about parts they bought on line while you are there with cash?  No, you would get irritated because you want to get your parts and get home to fix your bike.

If you have your bike in for a scheduled service, and people keep calling "Needing tech help" and interrupting the service tech, do you want your bike being focused on? Of course you want to be the main focus of the dealer when you are in the store.

Folks, here is the real tragedy of this modern world. Motorcycle shops that can survive on small brands need the support of the customer as much as the customer needs the shop. But we as modern consumers have been trained to "Google it", or look it up on Amazon. I assure you, both parties will thrive if you stay with in the Guzzi world. Next time you buy something online, before you ever put anything into that cart, make sure they have contact information and customer service to back up what they are selling you. Yes there is a bit of hypocrisy to this since we operate a large website, but our number and name is on every page and we have product knowledge to go with it.

This week alone I have spent more than 12 hours on the phone helping people with problems with parts that they bought elsewhere. This is time taken away from paying, loyal customer that need and deserve being taken care of. And I'm sure I'm not the only one that does this. If you buy your parts from Harper's we will take all the time you need to get things sorted out for you if you are having an issue. But if you get them from a webstore with no contact information, consider yourself uninformed.

And the next time a Guzzi dealer closes his doors, maybe give this thread a thought or two. 

Rant over, gotta get back to shipping, Have a great 4th of July
I love you.... :kiss:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here