Author Topic: Rear-Ended Today  (Read 11590 times)

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Rear-Ended Today
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 06:25:38 PM »
Props to you for not beating the crap out of an old lady.  ;)
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 06:50:28 PM »
Doesn't look totaled to me, at least from the photos.
Like yourself though there may be hidden damage.
Glad it's not too bad.
Glad you are OK
Glad the wife was understanding.
Not Glad that it happened in the first place. One of my biggest fears also.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 09:58:19 PM »
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »
In hind sight, I could have avoided this accident by not stopping for the school bus! That will teach me not to obey their stop signs, at least on multi-lane curves where I could be rear-ended by a daydreamer.

The good news is no pain--and insurance will take care of it, one way or the other.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2015, 12:53:40 AM »
Thanks again, everyone!

My wife was very understanding. She will let me get another motorcycle if the Norge is totaled.

Wahoo - she's a keeper 😁
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2015, 04:37:25 AM »
GET A LAWYER. Go to a Doctor!

Offline bib

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2015, 10:52:52 PM »
Get the Photon P3 LED stop lights w/ controller.

These things are BRIGHT and also flash when your brake is first applied.   They also have a version that adds turn signal function, and (also included in the base model) have a hazard light mode, great for bikes without hazard lights.

I just added these to my F800GT, and am so impressed with them that I want them on all my bikes.

And, for those looks-conscious people, they're quite inconspicuous when the bike is turned off.
Biggest fear on bike is being hit from behind ... happened once and fear has grown greater ... pls go to hospital, later Insurance and Police take notice of this, a LOT of notice.
re; flashing rear brake lamps - the only people impressed by them is the person installing them because the NICE morons who do not stop IN TIME are everywhere ... if they actually
LOOK they too may be impressed  by the flashing stop lamps.
Its not just mobile phones locodrivers look at the most inappropriate moment, it's the clock, the radio, the NAV, the rear mirror, the vanity mirror, the people on the sidewalk on and on
I'd better stop ranting ... BTW I still ride murdercycles, recently fitted 2nd LED rear brake lamp, very impressive!

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2015, 11:31:40 PM »
A bit of an update: I still feel well, certainly no worse for the wear. I could attribute it to good luck or being in decent shape for my age, but I think instead that it was a miracle. It was not my time to go.

Rick at Moto Guzzi Portland has been looking at my Norge. He's tallied up over $9,000 in needed bits and repairs, and that is without even opening it up and checking beneath all the plastic. The other driver's insurance company has accepted full responsibility and will probably total it. Oh well, time for something different!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2015, 04:45:11 AM »
glad your ok.  Got enough good parts there you could make a bobber  :grin:
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2015, 07:08:46 AM »
No hospital? No doctor? Be ready to suck it up later should something be wrong. I personally have seen injuries in car rear-enders appear later on. Because it was no treated earlier, it was a bigger deal. And employers health plan said it was accident related and they wanted the other insurance to pay. Mean while, lawyer get involved and the patient has to struggle with medical bills and treatment.

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2015, 07:16:56 AM »
Jeff,

Glad you're OK; too bad about that gorgeous Norge, though. When you say time for something different, was there something about the Norge that didn't fit the bill for you, or are you just someone who likes variety? I'm asking from the standpoint of someone who might consider a new Norge.

BTW, last year my jackal was totaled in a rear-ender; I guess these incidents are fairly common.

Keep us posted about your replacement,

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2015, 11:12:35 PM »
I think, for the winter, I will drive a new BMW. I just put a deposit down on a 228i xDrive coupe. Once the Norge is totaled in the next few days, I will complete the purchase.

I really like the Norge, but we are heading into bad weather here in Oregon. That combined with my new, lengthy commute, the occasionally horrendous traffic, and the always idiotic cagers in Oregon has made me (and my wife!) reconsider my initial decision to immediately replace the Norge and continue battling it out on dark, wet roads.

Still, I have my eye on a new Cal Touring, or Stelvio, or V7 II...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2015, 04:25:09 AM »
Glad you are okay.  We have that same problem here in Wisconsin, you generally need a car in the winter.  Good move on your part.
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2015, 10:09:42 PM »
UPDATE: USAA and I have reached an agreement. They are buying my Norge and are picking it up tomorrow from MG PDX. I'm sad. I really liked that bike. Oh, well, on to something new...

My wife is not very keen on me replacing the Norge with another motorcycle just yet. She would rather I buy a car first (since I don't currently have a car, cars are safer, motorcycles are more dangerous, winter is coming, etc.). I find myself thinking about how I could swing both--a car, and another Moto Guzzi...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2015, 10:17:22 PM »
I find myself thinking about how I could swing both--a car, and another Moto Guzzi...

I see a couple of Vespa's in your signature that could be "culled" to swing a Guzzi.........   :wink:
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2015, 10:25:23 PM »
^ Ha! I thought of that, but we really need two Vespas for marital harmony and fun.

You see, my wife got a Vespa when I had a Ducati. She then thought she wanted a motorcycle so we could ride together (but not on the same bike), so she got a Triumph Bonneville. However, she rarely rode the Bonneville. It was much more difficult for her to ride than the Vespa. Consequently, we traded the Bonneville for another Vespa. Now we can ride Vespas together. It really is great fun!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

stomatomoto

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2015, 10:29:55 PM »
Why not do something like a moderate project bike plus car? Like, something that'd be rideable with just some TLC and maybe some replacement parts here and there, and that you keep working on and customizing and stuff? Dunno, that'd be what I'd do if I had a sturdy ride as a principle conveyance, teach myself maintenance and mod work in my menial spare time.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2015, 10:46:11 PM »
^ That's a good idea, but we no longer have a garage! We recently sold our modern house in suburban, upscale Lake Oswego and moved to an old (1896) farm house out in the country (Hubbard).

Our "driveway" is now gravel and dirt between the farm house and a horse riding arena! When working on my Norge, I would park it in the back yard, on the grass and dirt, between the house and the hazelnut orchard... Grass and dirt all over my tools...

No, I need something that is ready to go and ready to withstand the elements. (I have Vespa outdoor covers for the Vespas, and I plan to park them this winter under the overhanging roof of the shed next to the farm house.)
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

canuguzzi

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2015, 10:46:51 PM »
Hold out, some very interesting bikes are on the horizon. Good deal on USAA buying the Norge, let someone else deal with a project.

That sometimes commute you have warrants a car, your wife is on to something there.

If you keep riding that route and get another bike for that, consider the FJR or ST1300, would really hustle. A new Trophy would be nice too, great engines on both of them.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2015, 10:57:09 PM »
^ I am pretty sure I am first going to buy the car that Kuni BMW is holding for me (with my deposit, of course!):

Then I will go after another Moto Guzzi (perhaps another Norge!).
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

canuguzzi

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2015, 11:11:21 PM »
That's a nice ride! Sure will make the miles go by faster.

stomatomoto

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2015, 11:24:41 PM »
^ That's a good idea, but we no longer have a garage! We recently sold our modern house in suburban, upscale Lake Oswego and moved to an old (1896) farm house out in the country (Hubbard).

Our "driveway" is now gravel and dirt between the farm house and a horse riding arena! When working on my Norge, I would park it in the back yard, on the grass and dirt, between the house and the hazelnut orchard... Grass and dirt all over my tools...

No, I need something that is ready to go and ready to withstand the elements. (I have Vespa outdoor covers for the Vespas, and I plan to park them this winter under the overhanging roof of the shed next to the farm house.)

Got it, so looks like you're building a shed/barn/garage next then eh? :D Here's a guide for ya, or maybe you want to browse some of these other plans? That sounds like a fun project with cascading benefits down the line!

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2015, 12:03:06 AM »
^ I am pretty sure I am first going to buy the car that Kuni BMW is holding for me (with my deposit, of course!):

Then I will go after another Moto Guzzi (perhaps another Norge!).

Well, you need a car (but a new one?) and you want a Norge (perfectly reasonable) and you will then need a garage.  That's what finance is for. (assuming you have an income to pay it back with)
New Zealand

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2015, 12:42:15 AM »
The farm house is temporary lodging, until perhaps next summer. We are remodeling our old beach cabin, and I am hoping my wife will like it so much that we can move up there full time next summer. Here's a "toolshed" (bunk house, wink wink) that I am building there on the property:

Maybe if I added a ramp I could get bikes in there...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Vasco DG

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2015, 12:51:31 AM »
Just a suggestion one I've made many times before to people looking for a cheap bike that can also tour like a bastard. Aprilia Mana GT They are so absurdly cheap, especially low mileage second hand, that buying one is a no brainer. As a commuter they are second to none. as a touring bike, with luggage, I honestly think they are possibly the best bike ever. The impact on the wallet would be so low as to make it a virtually fre option even if you only use it in good weather.

Pete

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2015, 01:03:18 AM »
^ That's a good idea, Pete, and I have thought about it. Moto International is selling a new 2013 for $5,999 (plus freight and set-up): https://www.motointernational.com/catalog/aprilia-motorcycles/new-2013-aprilia-mana-850-gt-abs.

That is a ridiculously low price!

2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Vasco DG

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2015, 01:28:17 AM »
A lot of people who are initially dismissive go out and ride a Mana and are amazed! No, it's not a bike for everyone but to dismiss it out of hand is an act of pathetic stupidity. It really is a fantastic, fun, tool and when Jude and I were touring the US in 2013 on the Cali 1400 we kept finding ourselves thinking "I wish we were on the Mana". Really, not to denigrate the Cali 14 but that's really the way we felt! They're that good!

Do though ride one before you buy.

Pete

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2015, 07:40:36 AM »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »
When I was renting a place with no garage one option I seriously considered as an alternative was a descent sized tent. Not ideal I know, but it would at least prove shelter for the bike and a place to work on things. I wouldn't keep things like tools in one but it also had the virtue of being able to take it away and set up elsewhere if needed when I moved.
New Zealand

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here