Author Topic: OK fellas  (Read 11087 times)

oldbike54

OK fellas
« on: November 09, 2015, 09:05:59 AM »
 Luap has serious rules regarding civility on WG , those of you unwilling to respect this , calling other members stupid etc , will be subject to scrutiny . There are several social media outlets that allow free-for-all discussions about racing , guns , politics , all of those hot button issues . Please take your thoughts regarding those topics to those appropriate sites .

Thanks

Dusty

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
Re: OK fellas
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 09:10:30 AM »
 :1:

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »
Pretty easy rules to live by. Luap makes it pretty clear.  :thumb: OK Dusty :laugh:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Bill Hagan

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:08:36 AM »
Luap has serious rules regarding civility on WG , those of you unwilling to respect this , calling other members stupid etc , will be subject to scrutiny . There are several social media outlets that allow free-for-all discussions about racing , guns , politics , all of those hot button issues . Please take your thoughts regarding those topics to those appropriate sites .

Thanks

Dusty

I wholeheartedly agree and applaud "management's" view re civility. 

That said, I did not understand that the rules require that we "take our thoughts regarding those topics [at least the motorcycle-racing one!] to those appropriate sites." 

Moreover, while passions can get out of hand, a surgical scalpel removing the offensive post, rather than a thread-deleting ax, would seem to me to be the proper tool. 

Perhaps that is too labor intensive -- tho you seem to have the time when not jetting around in the WG Gulfstream  :wink: -- but there have been some wonderfully interesting threads nuked on account of one or two temporary sinners.

Bill

P.S.  You also might consider a more descriptive title for "warning" posts such as this one, as "OK fellas" is not especially helpful.  Grazie.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:08:36 AM »

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
Those rules make this a great virtual place to be.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

canuguzzi

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 10:14:03 AM »
Why not (just asking) send a PM to the individual offender and point out the reference so that if someone is out of line they know it. Give 3 warnings and then booth their posting privileges and require them to beg forgiveness before being allowed to post again. 4th time, see ya permanently. Block their IP and their MAC addresses.

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 10:35:04 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree and applaud "management's" view re civility. 

That said, I did not understand that the rules require that we "take our thoughts regarding those topics [at least the motorcycle-racing one!] to those appropriate sites." 

Moreover, while passions can get out of hand, a surgical scalpel removing the offensive post, rather than a thread-deleting ax, would seem to me to be the proper tool. 

Perhaps that is too labor intensive -- tho you seem to have the time when not jetting around in the WG Gulfstream  :wink: -- but there have been some wonderfully interesting threads nuked on account of one or two temporary sinners.

Bill

P.S.  You also might consider a more descriptive title for "warning" posts such as this one, as "OK fellas" is not especially helpful.  Grazie.

The mods had already pruned the original Rossi thread , and then got cussed for allowing it to continue . As for nuking entire threads , we are reluctant to do so , but sometimes it is the only recourse .

As for the title , the offending members know what it means , we had already nuked a couple of very inflammatory threads before they were read by other members .

Why not (just asking) send a PM to the individual offender and point out the reference so that if someone is out of line they know it. Give 3 warnings and then booth their posting privileges and require them to beg forgiveness before being allowed to post again. 4th time, see ya permanently. Block their IP and their MAC addresses.

The mods job is to keep the peace , not to chase members off the forum . Everyone , including me , have made a mistake or strayed outside WG's rules , the idea is to remind folks to keep it civil W/O Luap or Chet needing to remove members .

Dusty

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 10:49:07 AM »
 :1:No problem..I thought you reminder was perfect. 
'85 MG  Cal II, '03 BMW R1150R, '09 Piaggio MP3 250 ie

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 11:46:14 AM »
Agreed, motorcycle sites in general are my happy place.

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 11:56:58 AM »
What did I miss?   :evil:
1990 MilleGT

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 11:58:07 AM »
  Oh no, not scrutiny!  Anything but scrutiny!  It is so cruel to scrutinize someone.  Isn't that against the Geneva convention?
 I thought that scrutiny went out with the Spanish inquisition.  I'll be good, honest!
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 12:01:10 PM »
  Oh no, not scrutiny!  Anything but scrutiny!  It is so cruel to scrutinize someone.  Isn't that against the Geneva convention?
 I thought that scrutiny went out with the Spanish inquisition.  I'll be good, honest!

Careful there Jim , we will make you set in the comfy chair  :grin:

Dusty

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 12:07:18 PM »
What is this, some sort of Spanish Inquisition?
1990 MilleGT

oldbike54

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 12:09:27 PM »
What is this, some sort of Spanish Inquisition?

No one expects the ... well , you know  :grin:

Dusty

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 12:17:04 PM »
Backing you 100% Dusty.  And like you explained to me, sometimes it's hard to read the words and actually think the person has that type of humor, and take it personally.
Nate

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 12:22:48 PM »
Backing you 100% Dusty.  And like you explained to me, sometimes it's hard to read the words and actually think the person has that type of humor, and take it personally.
Nate

Thanks Nate , yeah , really hard to pick up nuance unless we have taken the time to know an individual .

One thing , this isn't about me , rather the integrity of WG , which by all accounts is a pretty special place .

Dusty

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 12:44:19 PM »
I know I walk close to the edge occaisionally.
I ask that Dusty or David call me down in public. I can take it.
Public shaming has been a legitimate tactic for hundreds of years. Why stop now?
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »
Humor can be elusive in print. Just look at the number of people who interpret stories from The Onion, or Andy Borowitz, as legit. In real life we soften sarcasm and brotherly insults with a smile or punch on the shoulder. Maybe we can use emoticons for that purpose, but my rule is to write nothing on a forum that I wouldn't say face to face over a cup of coffee.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 12:56:48 PM »
I ask that Dusty or Mike  call me down in public. I can take it.
Public shaming has been a legitimate tactic for hundreds of years. Why stop now?

Bill, have never ever witnessed you being a Richard .

Humor can be elusive in print. Just look at the number of people who interpret stories from The Onion, or Andy Borowitz, as legit. In real life we soften sarcasm and brotherly insults with a smile or punch on the shoulder. Maybe we can use emoticons for that purpose, but my rule is to write nothing on a forum that I wouldn't say face to face over a cup of coffee.

That is really a good suggestion  :bow:

Dusty

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 01:06:29 PM »
I ask that Dusty or David call me down in public. I can take it.

David who?  Not me l hope!  If so IT'S ON!
Pop guns at 5 paces.  Cedarvale 16.   :evil:

Mods do a great job.  We all could help by toning it down when asked.
Better yet if you're the OP and a thread goes toxic pull it yourself.

Never have met a guzzita that wasn't willing to lend a hand at a rally.  Why should it be different here.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »
  What about over a glass of whiskey?
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

canuck750

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 01:09:18 PM »
I agree with you 100%.

Please keep the politics, the gun posts, rants about dealers who screwed someone over out of here.

This is a great site for Moto Guzzi discussion, there are at least 1 million other sites that cater to all of the 'other' stuff.

Best bike site on the web, keep up the great work!

Cheers

Jim

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 03:58:02 PM »
No, not you Davedel44. One of the modertors's secret identities involve being a David.
I have met a trio of moderators, like and reapect all 3. They do a tough but good job here.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 03:59:40 PM »
I agree with you 100%.

Cheers

Jim

I agree about 90%.

Much as someone might like to ... Once you are the Head Boy, or the Hall Monitor, or the Resident Advisor, you can't be "one of the boys" any more.   It's a shame, but a fact.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 04:11:16 PM »
This is an unbelievably civil site considering the propensity of crotchety old gents sharing here.  I feel right at home. 
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 04:22:29 PM »
I agree about 90%.

Much as someone might like to ... Once you are the Head Boy, or the Hall Monitor, or the Resident Advisor, you can't be "one of the boys" any more.   It's a shame, but a fact.

Lannis

Well , true to a certain extent , the mods must take greater pains to obey the spirit of the rules , but Luap places no restrictions on participation on either one of us . Really , the only advice Fearless Leader gives the mods is to be ourselves.
This isn't the military , or high school , thank goodness  :grin:

Dusty

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »
[sarcasm font] Oil threads are still OK though? [sarcasm font]   (we really really could use a sarcasm font.  :tongue: )
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

oldbike54

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 04:32:16 PM »
[sarcasm font] Oil threads are still OK though? [sarcasm font]   (we really really could use a sarcasm font.  :tongue: )

Oil threads are fine , just don't blame us when other members start  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  :laugh: And yes , a sarcasm emo would be applicable , one of you smart guys work on that .

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 04:45:15 PM »
Well , true to a certain extent , the mods must take greater pains to obey the spirit of the rules , but Luap places no restrictions on participation on either one of us . Really , the only advice Fearless Leader gives the mods is to be ourselves.
This isn't the military , or high school , thank goodness  :grin:

Dusty

Just consider, if you run into problems on the board that you don't understand, that it doesn't matter whether Luap puts any rules on you, or you're being "yourself", or "you didn't ask for this job", or if it's a military school or a bass fishing club or WG, the principle and the fact is the same.

No matter how much the policeman wants to be "one of the boys", he can't be.   It's one of the things you give up when you take the job.

But time will tell.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 04:51:47 PM »
Just consider, if you run into problems on the board that you don't understand, that it doesn't matter whether Luap puts any rules on you, or you're being "yourself", or "you didn't ask for this job", or if it's a military school or a bass fishing club or WG, the principle and the fact is the same.

No matter how much the policeman wants to be "one of the boys", he can't be.   It's one of the things you give up when you take the job.

But time will tell.

Lannis

Yes it will . Fortunately , there is no real equivalency between being a mod and any of those other positions , those all entail monetary recompense , we just mostly get bitched at when something goes wrong here .

Dusty

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here