Author Topic: Dangers of Summer  (Read 9886 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Dangers of Summer
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
Some good tips here for staying hydrated. :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2016, 05:30:27 PM »
Everyone used to have a 'camel bag' on their hood ornament.  It carried a gallon like a canteen, but it was a hairy burlap bag.  You filled it, soaked it with water, hung it out in the wind and let it cool by evaporation as you drove.  I can't find one or I'd have one.  They took back the one I was issued in the park service.

Used to be common over here too RK - they were made out
of Canvas and slowly seeped like a fire hose, the evaporation
Cooling the water as you say.

Shirley could be made at home, the porcelain spout might be
A little hard to find but something could be adapted.
I've got a Camel Pack as a gift but haven't tried it,
it's all plasticky and I think the water would get warm - not to
My taste. I should see if I can make one - wife is a potter so
a spout should be easy!

Maurie.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2016, 03:32:54 AM »
  What worked for me was quinine water (tonic water) with ..................

Sapphire Blue Gin. :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Penderic

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2016, 01:32:36 PM »
Pop your shorts into the freezer overnight for a nice cool break next day.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2016, 01:32:36 PM »

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2016, 01:47:45 PM »
Sapphire Blue Gin. :grin:
Incorrigible  : )
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2016, 01:56:25 PM »
There were several days of heavy heat riding out and back to John Day...I rode with a 3 liter camelback...filled it 1/2 way with ice and usually a zero sugar Gatorade or a Starbucks Mocha and the rest water, and sometimes with the Electrolyte tablets used for cycling.  First day from Houston to Lubbock I consumed 3 full Camelbacks,  9 liters in total - it was a bruiser.  When we hit 106 from Durango to Grand Junction, I probably went thru 2 full Camelbacks.

The plastic is easy to clean, but make sure you do to get any bacteria out of there...and I've found that filling it 1/2 way with ice keeps the drinks cool while slowly converting to drinkable liquid...so very good for hot days.

If you're not peeing, you're dehydrating!!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2016, 10:32:55 PM »
Now hear this.....for fast AND high potassium intake COCONUT WATER.....you are welcome

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 01:29:23 PM »
Works in the tropics.  :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2016, 02:02:58 PM »
Now hear this.....for fast AND high potassium intake COCONUT WATER.....you are welcome

Tasty too...comes in all kinds of flavors!  Another good choice!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2016, 02:41:54 PM »
 Completed another round trip to NW Arkansas , was a bit more careful to stay hydrated , although at one point my brain did kind of cease to function due to a hot work environment . (Yeah , blame it on that some of you guys are thinking  :laugh:) Hot ride back this morning , should have started earlier. Took the long way adding about 25 miles to an 80 mile trip . Kept on back roads with more shade and way less traffic , stopped a couple of times , met a friendly fellow rider , not a bad ride despite bright sun and high HIF . Still , the AC feels nice , a nap is probably on the agenda  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2016, 02:57:17 PM »
More convenient to buy coconut water with all the work done for you.  Tough work husking a coconut. :tongue:

Offline poorBob

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2016, 06:43:57 PM »
Through bicycling I discovered Endurolytes tablets . Used to have to order them from Hammer Nutrition , but they are available in many stores now ; we get them at REI .
They replace all the chemicals lost with perspiration and help body absorb water . Relieve cramps even after they start . I have never needed to take anywhere near the recommended dosage to stay comfortable .

Thanks for that! I tried Endurolytes yesterday and rode all day with ambient temperatures in the mid-90s. I took one tablet before ride and 2 separate tablets after ride and no adverse effects. I really think they made a difference.

By the way, I have tried coconut water and it helps but have to be careful with quantity. It can have a liberating effect on your stomach if you take too much.

But thanks!

twowings

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2016, 09:37:21 PM »
No one has mentioned the OTHER summer danger:  Monkey Butt  :evil:

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »
I did a little easy research into foods with the highest potassium content, and amazingly it's the potato.  One medium sized potato contains around 800-1,000 mg.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

Re: And the Winner is... the Potato!
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2016, 12:04:27 PM »
I did a little easy research into foods with the highest potassium content, and amazingly it's the potato.  One medium sized potato contains around 800-1,000 mg, which is about 1/5 of the RDA for an adult.

Despite the recent bad press the potato gets , they are amazingly healthy . Many cases of folks thriving on a potato only diet for long periods of time .

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2016, 12:22:38 PM »
What I found disappointing is the label I read on a can of Gatorade powder.  One serving contains 4% of the RDA of sodium and 1% of the RDA for potassium.  I'm better off drinking a glass of water and eating small piece of potato with a little salt on it.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »
 Baked potato chips are actually not a bad way to stave off dehydration . At least the lightly salted ones . In fact , Fubarguzzi swears by potato chips  :laugh:

Dusty

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2016, 12:35:23 PM »
Sounds like this thread ought to be merged with the Temperature thread too...   :thumb: :thumb:

Lots of those "sports drinks" are loaded with sugar and sodium...have to read the label closely...otherwise, it's just an insulin spike and energy crash shortly thereafter...

Water with electrolyte cycling tablets is a good way to go...cheaper too!  (Guzzi content)
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2016, 12:44:47 PM »
Thing about wearing a camelback hydration system is they are good back protectors, saved me a few times while out on the MTB.  :boozing:

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2016, 12:46:38 PM »
Harley hydration system.  :boozing:

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 12:49:57 PM »
Carry at least one-half gallon of water. -> http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm?AOWID=18

Fuzzy

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2016, 10:38:58 AM »
Hey Rodekyll, if you find one of those desert waterbags let me know. I would love to have one again, OK? Thanks

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2016, 11:29:57 AM »
 I worked construction most of my life and 40 years ago we never gave much thought to hydration...Working outside in hot weather we drank water a few times a day at breaks and lunch. If I was doing electrical contract work in a hot factory there the usual salt tablets next to the water cooler...I don't remember taking them often...I'm still the same way and go for long periods without drinking anything.. I don't sweat as much as other people.... might be  part lizard...

lucydad

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2016, 11:34:42 AM »
The V7R does better in high heat than my body does.... :embarassed:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2016, 04:49:20 PM »
The bikes are in the garage.  I've ridden twice in the last week.  I won't ride again until it cools off to 94 next week.

I mowed the lawn today  and thought I might die from the heat.  I am too cheap for a self-propelled mower. 

And I still have to do some grilling tonight. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2016, 07:43:19 PM »
Stay cool!

canuck750

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2016, 12:09:55 PM »
I am in sunny Phoenix this weekend and yesterday decided to ride my RT to see the Buddy Stubbs motorcycle museum, about a 30 minute ride from where I stay. Around 11:00 a.m. it was at least 112 degrees and a soft breeze that felt like a blast furnace on a bike.

The museum was great, a line of Vincents topped by a Brough, and lots and lots of beautiful Harleys and British bikes, just one 50's Guzzi Falcone and a gorgeous Gilera Staurno.

The ride back at 1:00 was very uncomfortable, two bottle of water later and I was back home, the bike isn't moving again this trip. This is the first time the heat left me feeling sick, thankfully cured by cold beers and two hours in the pool.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:25:27 PM by canuck750 »

Offline Seamaster

• New Egg
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2016, 12:21:13 PM »
At 72, I get leg cramps in bed. They can be very severe.
The doctors say magnesium. Tried that. No reult. Doctor said double the dose. Kidney pain. Stopped the magnesium.
Tried that "deadly by some accounts" sodium aka common salt tablets. Cramps are gone in two minutes with one salt tablet (two tablets on the really severe ones).
Seems to me that salt has become a bogeyman with the medical profession. Yes, it ups blood pressure, but only if it a constant high dosage. The occasional dosage when required is no problem.
Administered as a tablet removes the salt on food desire.

My 2 cent worth

Brian  :bow:

That is from lack of calcium, my grandma did that, oh, are you that old?
2016 Moto Guzzi V7II Stone Black

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2016, 06:10:21 PM »
Never taken salt tablets.  A tour during Desert Storm, drank water and  I figure there must have been LOTS of salt in the highly processed foods I had to eat(field kitchens, MREs).  My booths were coated with salt every night and my cloths could stand up by themselves.  I had 3 pairs of socks and underwear with me all the times, changed them out every hour or so, rinsed them simifresh water, dried in minutes.  No monkey butt or jungle rot! 

I think we have plenty of salt in our foods if you are not a laborer and drink water when its hot.  Finally got a mesh riding jacket with protective padding.  What a difference, I'm in Pensacola area, mid 90s every day have no care for heat index  :weiner: as long as I keep moving the riding has been way more enjoyable!
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here