Author Topic: OT: Self Propelled Mower pulls left...  (Read 7710 times)

oldbike54

Re: OT: Self Propelled Mower pulls left...
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2016, 04:39:18 PM »
Easy. Big walk behinds have pneumatics. <shrug>

Rare beasts in the US . we buy riders for any yard thst takes more than ten minutes to mow  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2016, 04:55:32 PM »
Rare beasts in the US . we buy riders for any yard thst takes more than ten minutes to mow  :grin:

Dusty

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Wot can I say. When I went to school I had to walk 15 miles and it was uphill both ways!
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2016, 05:30:29 PM »

Wot can I say. When I went to school I had to walk 15 miles and it was uphill both ways!

Barefoot , in snow up to your waist  :shocked: :laugh:

Dusty

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2016, 05:42:11 PM »
In my little town I'm about the only person who doesn't have a rider, and I don't have the smallest lot here. Like the suburbanite that buys a big pickup truck, riding mowers have become a status symbol or at least a symbol of our fitness status. When I first moved out here I left my Ranger pickup at my last place for a couple months, the locals took pity and were searching for a pickup for me...
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2016, 05:42:11 PM »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2016, 07:41:50 PM »
Barefoot , in snow up to your waist  :shocked: :laugh:

Dusty

Now on our West Coast Dusty (Coasters are a breed all of their own) it was not snow, it was water, so they often went barefoot to school to keep the shoes dry. If it was cold they stood in a cow pat to warm their feet up.

In junior school (up to 12 years) I always went barefoot in summer, but shoes in winter. One rugby competition I remember our senior A and B teams playing each other in the finals. Boots came off and they played barefoot. I remember the ground commentator expressing amazement when a kick was slotted from the touchline by a guy in bare feet. We were tough back then, chewed up battleships and spat out nails. (we did come from a rather isolated community :grin:) My own weekend task was to mow two large lawns with a 12" push mower. :whip2:
03 Breva

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2016, 08:09:44 PM »
Found the problem... The tech put the right side ratcheting drive gear on backwards! Reversed it and pulls as straight as a $400 lawnmower can. The tech has been given two days suspension without pay, but being as she wasn't getting paid anyways she isn't complaining! Day off to do a parade tomorrow, threshing show on sunday, then maybe reopen the shop for an overdue tire change on monday.
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2016, 08:58:51 PM »
On a walk behind ??? :shocked: :laugh:

Just mow in circles ..

Seriously , is it front wheel drive ?

Dusty

A walk behind is still self propelled. Steering works off of braking one side or the other

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2016, 09:03:26 PM »
No brakes on this low end model! The "differential" is the one way clutch pawls in the drive gears that allow one wheel to move faster than the other for a bit. Steering is by a long lever which also serves as a mount for the "dead man" switch and drive engagement lever.

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2016, 09:08:15 PM »
Found the problem... The tech put the right side ratcheting drive gear on backwards! Reversed it and pulls as straight as a $400 lawnmower can. The tech has been given two days suspension without pay, but being as she wasn't getting paid anyways she isn't complaining! Day off to do a parade tomorrow, threshing show on sunday, then maybe reopen the shop for an overdue tire change on monday.

Then I'm going to file an application for closest correct answer. I will begin patting myself on the back and not cease until I am overuled, or lose interest, whichever comes first.

" Perhaps the breaking of the drive belt event had further ramifications than just the belt, and something in the black box that turns motion around the corner took a hit at the same time? "
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2016, 10:04:20 PM »
OK, sounds like a strong contender for the honor. and what the heck, we already managed to milk this errant lawnmower
for 44 posts, lets keep it going!

twowings

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2016, 03:56:02 AM »
Goats use a lot less fuel!

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2016, 06:11:38 AM »
I don't think this mower is quite that sophisticated .

Dusty

Only if you want to steer it, or is this a little 3.5 hp mower? I was thinking something like a Toro with a transmission & differential

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2016, 06:13:43 AM »
OK, sounds like a strong contender for the honor. and what the heck, we already managed to milk this errant lawnmower
for 44 posts, lets keep it going!

It's because of the grass ;-)

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2016, 07:41:26 AM »
....I will begin patting myself on the back and not cease until I am overuled, or lose interest, whichever comes first.
Be careful you don't come down with a nasty case of Manager's Elbow, which you get from patting yourself on the back while covering your butt (credit to Dilbert).
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2016, 07:55:20 AM »
My mower has a weird one way dog clutch in each wheel made from monkey metal. One of mine is knackered so only drives one wheel instead of two
Might be worth a look

In order to save norm from that nasty elbow malady I re-post the above. tris is the clear winner here....shame on you, norm.  :evil: :violent1:
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2016, 08:24:12 AM »
Pretty close, the Tech put one of those dog clutches on backwards and so it got power mostly only on that side (the right) and pulled to the left. Still trying to figure out how it can pull left when it's getting no drive on the right...

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2016, 08:34:50 AM »

Dusty

Hell I bought a zero turn with a 48" deck to mow my total of 1/8th acre of grass. Then I showed the daughter how to run it. I haven't mowed grass in 4 years. One of best investments ever :thumb:

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

oldbike54

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2016, 08:51:45 AM »
Hell I bought a zero turn with a 48" deck to mow my total of 1/8th acre of grass. Then I showed the daughter how to run it. I haven't mowed grass in 4 years. One of best investments ever :thumb:

Good grief man , on 1/8th acre where do you store that beast ??? :laugh:

Dusty

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2016, 10:04:49 AM »
Or more like, where do you stuff them all when they crap out? The low end riders most people buy are thousand dollar throwaways that die soon after the warranty expires, then they sit in peoples sheds and garages forever in hopes they'll "get around" to fixing them someday. When I bought my small town home 6 years ago a dead rider was in the garage, I quickly determined it was beyond salvation and gave it to a neighbor who lusted after it. I was happy to help him drag it over to one of his garages and help push his Ford 601 tractor in behind it, 6 years later both are still there. At least it's in the garage- He's got a 1xx series Deere riding mower hiding in the tall grass outside and a handful of other dead or dying mowers and tractors scattered around. A few of my neighbors with an acre or more have invested in small diesel Kubota and Deere tractors that will outlive them, the rest just buy a new thousand dollar rider every few years and bury the old ones along with the rest of their throwaway junk in the garage and park their car outside. 

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »
Why is it that every technical discussion thread devolves into the discussing the virtues(?) of goats? Over at tdiclub.com we had a megathread going on the VW TDI recall/buyback that devolved into a debate on whether a VW or Saab was the best vehicle for hauling goats...

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2016, 03:04:32 PM »

We have a 60" ride on (triple cutters) to cut the grass at our family bach. 16hp. Probably a bit down on hp but I can tell you a % foot deck quickly makes a hole in any lawn. :thumb:
03 Breva

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2016, 11:06:09 AM »
Or more like, where do you stuff them all when they crap out? The low end riders most people buy are thousand dollar throwaways that die soon after the warranty expires, then they sit in peoples sheds and garages forever in hopes they'll "get around" to fixing them someday. When I bought my small town home 6 years ago a dead rider was in the garage, I quickly determined it was beyond salvation and gave it to a neighbor who lusted after it. I was happy to help him drag it over to one of his garages and help push his Ford 601 tractor in behind it, 6 years later both are still there. At least it's in the garage- He's got a 1xx series Deere riding mower hiding in the tall grass outside and a handful of other dead or dying mowers and tractors scattered around. A few of my neighbors with an acre or more have invested in small diesel Kubota and Deere tractors that will outlive them, the rest just buy a new thousand dollar rider every few years and bury the old ones along with the rest of their throwaway junk in the garage and park their car outside.

I originally had a MTD mower from Wally World 1993 . Use it for 14 years and in all that time it took one deck belt and a couple batteries. My brother is still using it 4 years later. Damn cheap junk will probably only last 25 years or so.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2016, 11:20:15 AM »
MTDs are nowhere near the mower they used to be. A friend owns a repair shop and cringes every time he sees one. When the customer hears the repair estimate they cringe.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

LaMojo

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2016, 11:35:46 AM »
I also brought a MTD - 42" cut, with bag attachment from Sam's Club 1993. $1800.  Mowed a 3 acre yard about every two weeks from spring to the end of November.  Engine finally seized about a month ago.  Plenty of oil in motor.  I'll take it (18hp B & S) apart this winter and see what the problem is.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2016, 05:35:29 PM »

It was like that where I grew up too except it was against the wind also.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2016, 06:50:54 PM »
That mower is aout the same price today.
How do ya think they held the price point?

Penderic

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2016, 07:21:53 PM »
There is a nice 50 dollar mower down at Mr. Haneys' Used Auto Mart....

Act now! Operators are standing by.

Thats right, it mulches at no extra charge! :boozing:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:25:41 PM by Penderic »

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2016, 08:20:34 AM »
And it fertilizes, too!

Is that a Hoyt-Clagwell?  (Which, BTW was actually a Ford)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »

Suspended?  I'd fire her sorry self!  No excuse for that.  As the owner of a one-man business, I understood the need to be ruthless with those lazy, incompetent drones -- beat them daily and fire them regularly. 

My first mechanical project was a riding lawnmower that I mowed the guy's lawn all summer to buy and repair.  I tossed the blades and extra metal and made a go-kart out of it.  It had high and low ranges and 4 or 5 speeds in any direction.  It started like an ice cream mill -- you wound up a big spring for about 20revs and pulled a lever to release it and spin the motor.  I was about 9 and got a whole new vocabulary out of the experience.  No -- not THOSE words.  Words like "head gasket" "compression" and "magneto".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here