Author Topic: Leather or textile for cold weather ridding  (Read 4423 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Leather or textile for cold weather ridding
« on: November 04, 2018, 04:25:28 PM »
Ok guys let's have a discussion or possible debate on the pros and cons of different cold weather ridding gear. Over the past 50 years of ridding I have used three types of systems of cold weather ridding gear. Leather with thermal under layers, textile with zip out liners and full cold suits designed for maximum warmth. I have never used heated because of cost and if it's that cold I chose my Jeep:)
I will disclose my opinion on the best system later in the discussion. We may actually learn something from each other.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 05:32:20 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Leather or textile for cold weather ridding
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 04:40:03 PM »
Here a fourth option, the old school European method: Leathers always, textile over the leathers when it's cold or wet.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 04:46:44 PM »
Textile with electric today  :thumb: that’s what I rid in  :grin:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:52:49 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 04:53:23 PM »
Here a fourth option, the old school European method: Leathers always, textile over the leathers when it's cold or wet.

This made me laugh ..

I have fond memories of overnight winter rides in Southern Australia wet, cold (0c). Dressed in woolen longjohns, jumpers, two piece leathers and a Belstaff jacket and overpants. Kept the water and cold out but I was forever in danger of wetting myself when I stopped at a servo as it would take two weeks written notice to be able to get out of all that gear.

These days it is modern woolen thermals, Two piece leathers or a two piece Synthetic "dry Suit" and a Goretex pants and jacket liner.
Does the job and  much quicker to cater for "old man" type problems caused by too much coffee.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 04:53:23 PM »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »
It get's cold in NC ?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 04:58:48 PM by lucian »

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 05:02:22 PM »
Textile with electric today  :thumb:

+1 :thumb: when it's cold and/or wet-cold
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 05:18:56 PM »
Textile with electric today  :thumb:

I wore out three leather jackets before going to textile. The electric vest is prolly the number one thing I've bought since I started riding M/c's in 1959.

Tex

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 05:25:34 PM »
The bottom of a case of water works well for me.  Plastic and corrugated cardboard keep the core a lot warmer.  Zip into the front of the jacket. 

All of my leathers breathe so I prefer synthetic gear when it is cold.  I have a one piece Olympia suit with a full liner.  No gap around the waist for air to leak in.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 05:26:58 PM »
It get's cold in NC ?

We ride year around but yes it's not unusual to get high teens in the day and single digits at night and mornin,  in Jan and February, a couple days later it could make it to 50 degrees F.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 05:39:57 PM »
I wore out three leather jackets before going to textile. The electric vest is prolly the number one thing I've bought since I started riding M/c's in 1959.

It has to be very cold, but if it is I'll wear an electric vest under my (trim fit, race style) leathers, with the aforementioned waterproof textile jacket on top.  Rain pants on top too if it's wet.  I don't wear textile gear without race style leathers underneath unless it's a very casual ride.

If it's really cold (for example riding over a Swiss pass in snow) I'll be wearing a T-shirt, Patagonia jersey, electric vest on high (tight), race leathers, textile jacket (not tight) with neck closure sealed tight around jersey, and rain pants.  Grips are heated and will be on high, with hand protectors to block the wind and the thinnest gloves I can get away with (so as not to lose feel).  Gauntlets for the gloves go between leathers and textile jacket.  Boots are Sidi On Roads (tall, lined), over the leathers and under the rain pants, with tall ski socks.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 06:09:02 PM by Tusayan »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 05:40:07 PM »
Actually Dan was out today with a couple buddies and the liner textile gear was great and my favorite. Easily adaptable and I love the un zipping vents . Won't be going back to leather anytime soon. I've ridden in cold rain many times with my Olympia jacket and have been dry and warm.  Well worth the $.

Offline calfruit

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 05:54:50 PM »
I wear an Olympic Air Glide jacket year round. Air Glide pants in spring,summer and fall. Ranger pants in winter.  Works well here in California.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 06:38:34 PM »
Actually Dan was out today with a couple buddies and the liner textile gear was great and my favorite. Easily adaptable and I love the un zipping vents . Won't be going back to leather anytime soon. I've ridden in cold rain many times with my Olympia jacket and have been dry and warm.  Well worth the $.
Is the jacket waterproof itself or do you need to add the rain pants and top for the waterproofing?

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 06:51:10 PM »
The jacket itself is waterproof but without pants your arse will eventually be soaked. I always keep some cheap rain pants on hand when touring.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 06:58:35 PM »
Textile with a heated jacket and light layered fleece of some sort.
Works a treat.  I NEVER thought I'd go that way but after I did 4 seasons ago the FIRST thing out of my mouth was why in the heck did I wait so long?

I do use leather from 60 degrees and up.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 07:01:27 PM »
Maybe the best part is that a heated jacket is not bulky.  Also, get one that is uninsulated.  As the temp climes during the day you can turn it off and not overheat or even need to stop.  And, when you travel light it doubles as a "all around" jacket.  My .02.  YMMV, and most likely will.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 07:09:16 PM »
I've used heated gear for many yrs. Likely started in the late 70's. For me the best of cold weather inventions for riding mc's is heated gloves. Most of my bikes over the years don't accommodate bark busters, etc. The gloves, as long as I'm wearing the jacket, plug in and have separate,  variable heat control. Heated grips keep your palms warm. Gloves warm your entire hand and are interchangeable betwixt any and all mc's.  R3~

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 07:33:37 PM »
Thin, long-sleeved t-shirt - with heated jacket over that.
Some manner of textile, highly water-resistant jacket over the heated jacket.

Textile, waterproof overpants for those cold days.  Leather chaps for temps 50-ish and up.

If ya can't have heated gear - I would still go with the textile gear.  It's lighter and typically less bulky.  Heavy fleece underneath helps.  This is the reason that we finally broke down and bought heated gear.  We were layered up like the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 07:37:32 PM by kballowe »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2018, 07:38:54 PM »
I doubt the stator on my Lemans could keep up with heated gear. Maybe  if I shut the headlight off? My friend on the 1600 had heated vest,gloves and seat. And probably had kilowatts to spare.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »
Gore-Tex outer on textile jacket and pants.

Aerostich for me, Rukka for Fay.   No separate rain gear, warm when it needs to be warm (zipped up vents and layered), when it's warm, open the vents.

You can go anywhere in any weather and stay warm and dry.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 07:42:29 PM »
I doubt the stator on my Lemans could keep up with heated gear. Maybe  if I shut the headlight off? My friend on the 1600 had heated vest,gloves and seat. And probably had kilowatts to spare.

FYI the same Bosch charging system on my BMW R100GS will keep up with an electric vest and grips, wit a small (I’m guessing 55 W) headlight.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2018, 07:51:45 PM »
Gore-Tex outer on textile jacket and pants.

Aerostich for me, Rukka for Fay.   No separate rain gear, warm when it needs to be warm (zipped up vents and layered), when it's warm, open the vents.

You can go anywhere in any weather and stay warm and dry.

Lannis
When you say gortex outer are you saying you have gortex rain suit?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 07:55:58 PM »
When you say gortex outer are you saying you have gortex rain suit?

No, jacket and pants with Gore-Tex exterior.   No rain suit, that's the good part.   Don't have to carry it, don't have to put it on on, hopping around on one leg on the side of the road.

There are very few brands of them made, and they're expensive.   Aerostich, Klim, Rukka, the high range of Olympia, and a few more obscure ones.   $600+ for the jackets, $500+ for the pants at a minimum, sometimes twice that.

Fay and I did the research, bought 'em, and then went on a 7500 mile trip in them.   The only way to go .... well, not really, but a good way to go.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2018, 07:59:41 PM »
I'll say one thing Dan. If you like cold weather riding, you're going to love the 1400 bike.  You tuck your legs against those warm heat shields on the throttle bodies and it's like having the floor heat on in your car. Best cold weather bike ever.  :thumb:

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »
I'll say one thing Dan. If you like cold weather riding, you're going to love the 1400 bike.  You tuck your legs against those warm heat shields on the throttle bodies and it's like having the floor heat on in your car. Best cold weather bike ever.  :thumb:
I'm still working on a better lower design to keep the wind off my upper body. The Harley lowers turned around backwards does much better than the little dinky factory ones but still not the calm pocket of air that I'm looking for. The Calvin had lower shields on the crash bars but this bike offers no such animals:(
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:19:08 PM by Ncdan »

elvisboy77

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 08:33:41 PM »
I rode old Greensboro Highway in NC today on my Eldorado 1400 with factory windshield and lowers, leather jacket with heated liner.  The heated liner is worth the money and works over a wide range of temperatures. 

What a great bike that Eldo is!

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 10:56:44 PM »
For years now I haven't been able to justify the weight, bulk, and inefficiency of packing leather on any long trips.  Textile layers (no heaters) do me nicely.  I do have a lot of leather and I prefer to wear it on day or weekend runs when the weather will not be a factor, but with modern fabrics, aside from gloves, distance riding in leather is silly. 

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2018, 11:37:49 PM »
For years now I haven't been able to justify the weight, bulk, and inefficiency of packing leather on any long trips.  Textile layers (no heaters) do me nicely.  I do have a lot of leather and I prefer to wear it on day or weekend runs when the weather will not be a factor, but with modern fabrics, aside from gloves, distance riding in leather is silly.

When I look at the road going by at 80 mph or so and imagine jumping off (again) leathers are my choice, and silly isn't the word that comes to mind. Fear must have something to do with my lack of frivolity  :grin: I've done it twice at those kinds of speeds over the last 35 years and was happy not to have bled a drop either time. One time was on a long trip and I was able to pick up the bike after crashing at 80 mph, and do another 1500 miles before I was home.  The bike low sided and slid on saddlebag and fairing with amazingly little damage.  The quality textile jacket I was wearing on the outside almost protected the leathers, but not quite.  Well enough that the damage to the leathers could be easily repaired by the manufacturer, so for that much it was good. The other time at 50 mph or so with no outer layer, the leathers took $400 to repair but I'm still wearing them.  I don't pack leathers on the bike, I wear them. The extra jacket goes in a dedicated duffle bag when not in use, bungeed on top of one of the hard bags using bungee loops - you can get a set of four good bungee loops from Aerostich for $15  :wink:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:05:06 AM by Tusayan »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 01:23:25 AM »
Nowadays there's decent textiles that work well (Rukka, Held, Klim, BMW & the like), but they cost as much as good leather. And leather I've found to resist abrasion better,  while the textile might be good but only until the first off.  So I use leather - wear it, don't pack it - with heated liners & superfine merino next to the skin. My leather trousers have zips to mid thigh (useful) and also keep the pouring rain out for a couple of hours. If raining more, then a rain jacket, & pants (with zips to the waist)., and those Rain Off over gloves from NZ.

Note that I don't use zip in liners any more, the heated jacket liner works better, as does the uber light down jacket (packs down tiny - the size of a pair of socks). Luxury.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2018, 05:04:29 AM »
Modern HIGH QUALITY textiles are as abrasion resistant as leather.  It is possible to buy much lower quality textiles with fancy names that are rubbish and will melt at a very low point.  Old neglected leather will also have it's protection value drop quite low.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here