Author Topic: Another question about '98 V11 EV  (Read 4999 times)

Offline bdmitche

• New Egg
Re: Another question about '98 V11 EV
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 09:23:19 PM »
Doug you are right!
These guys are awesome and this wildguzzi forum is a great resource.
I mean where would you go to get this kind of help with one specific motorcycle?

Like your Post!

Bill (I just wish I had more time to work on the bike, it pretty much has to be the weekends what with work and all)
Bill Mitchell

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2019, 03:43:57 PM »
You can replace the electric petcock with a manual petcock from MG.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2019, 04:18:19 PM »
Your member account doesn't detail where you are located.  Perhaps someone is nearby to loan a manometer tool.  Put your location in your sign-off or your account membership.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline nsmith

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2019, 03:39:18 PM »
My Bassa fuel pump started making the hard working noise so I replaced the electric petcock with a manual and problem solved. Disconnect the side stand safety switch, install manual petcock, fix the hi beam trigger, now the only thing left is the low fuel sensor.
Neil formally from South Dakota now living it up in Arkansas

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2019, 03:39:18 PM »

Offline bdmitche

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2019, 02:15:00 AM »
Hello guys,
I have an update for you! Got off early today, came home, pulled the bike out so I could inspect the two wiring connections at rear left bottom of tank.
I pulled the connectors/wire bundles out where I could see them and there it was - the connectors were crossed.
I would have never thought someone would pull the tank without making sure of these connections.
Patrick you were dead on with that one. I pulled them apart, cleaned the connectors, reassembled them, got on the bike, pulled side stand up, turned on the key. Low Fuel Light is out.
Fuel pump is barely making any sound at all, after a few seconds just a very faint momentary "growling sound, very faint. Hit the starter button, cranks instantly. Everything is working - headlight, all warning lights that are supposed to be on (N), switched high to low beam, signals, horn, headlight! Unbelievable. If I had tried this when you first mentioned it this would have been resolved last week. Took the bike out for a 40 minute ride. Stopped several times to turn it off, turn key back on, hit starter. Fuel pump is even quieter now, starts instantly, running very nicely now.
When I got home I turned it off, turned key back on, fuel pump can barely be heard.
Hopefully I didn't do any damage to the low fuel sensor, electronic petcock or fuel pump. But from what several of you said the fuel pump wasn't the issue anyway.
I really want to thank you guys for your lessons, instruction and guidance. No way I would have figured this out on my own.
I will put a couple of weeks riding in and check back in with you on any new developments. I am relieved after the bike dying on me. I thought for sure the fuel pump was a goner. Patrick just as you pointed out this could be checked in a matter of minutes and may not really cost anything. All it really cost me was the package of 15A fuses from O'Reilly's Auto Parts and some time on your and my part.   
At some point pretty soon I will disassemble the clutch lever housing and check the headlight flasher button as several of you mentioned.
You guys are awesome and I sure appreciate it!
Thanks and have a great weekend,

Bill Mitchell
Colorado Springs, CO

Bill Mitchell

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2019, 09:45:05 AM »
The pretty blue one, Corbin seat and tubeless wheels, what's not to like.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline bdmitche

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2019, 11:19:56 AM »
Roy,
Right? I really like this motorcycle - it looks great (style takes a little getting used to), might be the most comfortable motorcycle I've owned and it has pretty much everything on it that I could imagine. 
Now that everything's working on it - I feel like I have a brand new motorcycle!
Beautiful day out there and I will be riding in a little while if I can sneak out of the house before anybody wakes up and starts giving me lists of what they want me to do today! LOL!
Life is good!
Thanks!

Bill
Bill Mitchell

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2019, 12:51:07 PM »
Now that it's fixed for no money..  :grin: maybe think about a small donation to Luap to help keep this place running? The things I've learned here are priceless. Some of them are even useful.  :smiley: :boozing:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2019, 01:02:09 PM »
I doubt you hurt the electric petcock because you only put lower voltage through it.  Worst case you could swap it for a manual, but I prefer the electric.  Not quite so sure about the level sensor.  You'll to keep testing for that.  But you have a reset odometer to cover that in the interim.  The fuel pump would still be noisy if it had any residual issues. 

The only way to verify the level sensor and restore your confidence is to take a nice day ride and bring along a small gallon jug of spare fuel.  Depending on your local fuel quality and the strength of your right wrist  :evil: you should get about 175 miles on a full tank.  The low fuel light should start to glow at around 140.  You should drive until the light comes on and then continue until it actually starves for fuel.  That will give you an accurate data stream for YOUR particular machine.  Now install your spare gallon and get to a filling station for refueling.  I once stretched my reserve light for 52 miles.  Stayed in 5th gear.  Stayed at 50mph.  I was at 5000' which gives a leaner mixture.  In cold weather, hard riding, with California winter fuel mixture I have hit the light in as little as 117 miles.  Fuel mixtures vary widely across the county so others may give you differing advice on tank and reserve distances.  Also, with a barometric sensor involved, the computer does a serious job of mixture leaning at higher altitude and your distances will increase substantially.

When you do run out of fuel, the pump will get louder again as it moves bubbles and foam instead of liquid.  When you pour in your gallon, all of the fuel lines will still have air and so the injectors won't deliver properly.  Turn on the key to get the fuel pump prime for 3 seconds.  Now, flick off the handlebar 'kill' switch and flick it back on.  This will generate a second event of the pump priming cycle.  Likely you should do this 'cycle' several times to purge the air back to the tank before you actually try to start the motor.

Now that you are wired correctly, you should be able to put your fingers on the electric petcock before turning on the key.  You should hear and feel a good, solid whack as the electromagnet opens the valve.

Congratulations on solving your bike.  I also want to commend you on reporting back with all your findings and solutions.  It is frustrating to be an online coach when the new user drops in with questions, takes advice, and walks off into the sunset without any report back to verify the solution.  Enjoy the ride!

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline bdmitche

• New Egg
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2019, 10:39:45 PM »
Hello friends,
V11 is running fine! Next paycheck I will be making that donation. Chuck thank you for reminding me about that. I noticed that when getting registered, then got so immersed in the motorcycle issues and trying to get this bike fixed, I forgot all about that. But will be taking care of that.
Hope you guys are all having a good week, starting to cool off considerably here in the evening and early am so we all know what's coming soon. I really like cool weather, but once it really starts to get COLD, well not so much! 
Stay in touch!
Bill
Bill Mitchell

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2019, 07:27:47 AM »
Hello friends,
V11 is running fine! Next paycheck I will be making that donation. Chuck thank you for reminding me about that. I noticed that when getting registered, then got so immersed in the motorcycle issues and trying to get this bike fixed, I forgot all about that. But will be taking care of that.
Hope you guys are all having a good week, starting to cool off considerably here in the evening and early am so we all know what's coming soon. I really like cool weather, but once it really starts to get COLD, well not so much! 
Stay in touch!
Bill

Good for you, and thanks from all of us. Occasionally, we see someone come here, apparently get their problem fixed, and don't see them again. Yeah, fall is the best riding of the year in the midwest, but..  :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline bdmitche

• New Egg
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2019, 12:12:41 AM »

Good evening friends,
Man the V11 is running great! I've been riding every chance I have. Took it to the car wash today with some Simple Green Degreaser/Cleaner and very, very carefully washed the bike.
Got the engine cases really clean and I am really loving this bike! Going to try to ride out west on the next couple of weekends to check out the Fall changing leaves.
You guys ride safe and stay in touch - I will too.
Thanks,

Bill
Bill Mitchell

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2019, 12:34:59 AM »
Ooh ... your bike is prettier than mine, and I think my bike is prettier than everybody else's ...

Yes, whenever these guys talk me through a problem I make a donation, it's cheaper than shop rates and far less depressing.

:popcorn:
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline bdmitche

• New Egg
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2019, 01:40:35 AM »
Good evening friends fellow MG riders. Hope you are all doing well. I wanted to send you an update.
I was riding the EV every chance I had. Had been on some all day (pretty much) 150+ mile rides out west and southwest of Colorado Springs.
Really enjoying riding the bike. Running great, everything working as it should. What a great all around, comfortable and fine running motorcycle.
Trying to get in as much riding as was possible before Winter arrives.
Several weeks ago on a ride with my friend Russ out West of here, some nice winding roads in the hills on good roads.
Coming around a corner, slowing down from maybe 35 - 40 mph and I had slightly oversteered the corner, saw some gravel right ahead, braked immediately, went off road
not even 10 feet, maybe a bike and a half length. Pretty much flat shoulder thankfully, but just as I came to a stop, the bike fell over on me in the gravel.
What with my being able to brake and still going straight as I mentioned I didn't travel far at all.
I guess the braking, then negotiating the gravel, leaving pavement, the bike was slightly leaning to the left when I lost my footing in the gravel.
Most fortunately I was not hurt, was wearing of course, helmit, gloves, riding jacket, boots.
Needed a little help getting the bike off me and back up on the side stand.
After gathering my wits about me, I checked the bike over carefully.
The only thing was was damaged was the windshield. It was now cracked. Also tore the rubber pad on the center stand where it came to rest in the gravel.
Whew! I was okay, was feeling a little sore around left shoulder.
Took a bungie cord and secured the windshield where it cracked. Bike cranked right up and headed home very carefully.
Nothing wrong with the bike at all. Next day yes I was pretty sore, that bike is very heavy from that position! 
I went over the bike again very carefully in the garage. Removed the windshield. Cleaned a little dust off the bike from the 150 mile ride and everything looks great.
No issues at all.
Over the last few weeks I have been looking online for the replacement OEM windshield.
Not much out there. I did find a couple of websites in the UK that said they can Order the "windscreen" for me, although slighlty shorter from top of headlight cutout to top edge of shield. That seems to be the only difference and I am about ready to Order this Item. All the mounting hardware is fine, nothing damaged at all.
Of course I tried Harper & MG Cycle, both didn't have the shield and websites said not available and could not be Ordered.
I found two used windshields online but both were damaged.
I wanted to see if any of you had any advice on this. I have been riding without the shield and that has actually been pretty nice.
For the most part I think I prefer riding without a windshield unless I'm going to be riding a long time.
I attached a drawing showing dimensions of my windshield.
This did remind me that when you ride an older bike, locating replacement parts can be an issue if you find yourself needing them!
Anyway I wanted to update you guys, especially after all the help you gave me in the recent past.
I've been riding for years and have had a few minor issues while riding mostly when I was pretty young and foolish. Now I am older and still somewhat foolish. (LOL)
Kind of a wake up call though, no matter how relaxed you are, nice weather, feeling good, enjoying the ride you always have to be 100% paying attention to everything around you - yourself, other riders with you, animals, very large bugs (which I haven't really seen in Colorado, not like Texas with bugs the size of small birds) weather, water/oil on roadway and all of our nemeis - gravel!
OMG this could have been much much much worse so I am thankful and glad to get that wake up call.
Also I did make a contribution and will be making another from next paycheck or two.
Thank you guys!
Your friend,
Bill

Bill Mitchell

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2019, 07:53:38 AM »
Big thing is that your ok.  I’ve seen a like new barn door on CL in the past for like 100.00.   They’re out there. I’m sure someone will come along here with one for you.  I’ve not met a nicer group than this.
1994 California 1100

Offline bdmitche

• New Egg
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2019, 10:19:37 AM »
Thanks Gus,
You are right about that and I will hold off on ordering this until  I hear from the guys on wildguzzi. These guys are very well informed and know these motorcycles like the back of your hand.
Care about other riders and go the extra mile to help others.
Glad to be a part of their organization.
Thanks again for the kind words.
Bill
Bill Mitchell

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2019, 10:59:57 PM »
I did a National Plexifairing III for Regina's EV.  I had to do a few minor modifications to install it, but it has worked well for years.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here