Author Topic: The heedless headless needless blippery merged threadfest  (Read 21606 times)

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
The heedless headless needless blippery merged threadfest
« on: September 15, 2019, 01:29:03 PM »
I suspect there are more riders per capita around here than most places in the country. Among them, nearly all Harley riders engage in the bizarre practice of unnecessary engine revving.  Whether it is approaching a stop in neutral or preparing to accelerate when a light changes green, they blip their throttles (sometimes more than once) as if the engine might die. Having ridden normally forty years, I cannot imagine what it would be like to constantly be goosing the throttle for no reason. It begs more than one question. What is their point? Do they really think people are somehow impressed? Wouldn't it be tiring after a while, devoting that much attention to an idiotic gesture?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 06:20:04 PM by oldbike54 »
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Offline guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
Re: unnecessary Harley throttle blipping
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 01:30:55 PM »
HEY ! look at me !!! :bike-037:

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »

It's kind of a leftover thing from the days of S&S carbs and Shovel Heads.

Also, many of them used to turn the idle down so low that the bikes would load up and die if idled very long.

Not an issue on the late model efi bikes, but the practice is sort of an automated response, now.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 01:44:15 PM »
It's kind of a leftover thing from the days of S&S carbs and Shovel Heads.

Also, many of them used to turn the idle down so low that the bikes would load up and die if idled very long.

Not an issue on the late model efi bikes, but the practice is sort of an automated response, now.

I suspect most, if not all of these guys, never had a bike with an S&S carb, so that doesn't explain the practice.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 01:44:15 PM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 02:10:18 PM »
I suspect most, if not all of these guys, never had a bike with an S&S carb, so that doesn't explain the practice.

Sure it does.  Older riders continue to do it, though it's not necessary.  Newer riders are aping the older riders, thinking they're cool.

And yes, even on Evos and Twin Cams, people turned the idles down so low that the bikes wouldn't continue idling very long without blipping.  Gotta have that lope!

I contend that today it's mostly a learned habit that people do because other people do because other people do.

Harley riders:  Different, like all the rest.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 02:22:26 PM »
Can't have this thread without this gem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LlA0_Hv3CQ
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online bikeridertim

• Gosling
  • Just ride it!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 02:29:50 PM »
2017 MOTO GUZZI MGX-21
1999 MOTO GUZZI EV11
1973 MOTO GUZZI ELDORODO
MGNOC L-201
AMA LIFE MEMBER 543509
IRON BUTT 12038

We struggle our whole lives so that we don’t have to struggle.  Huzo

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 02:41:58 PM »
On the other side how about those kids running their 600 sportbikes on the limiter for kicks.   :lipsrsealed:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 02:45:41 PM »
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 02:50:53 PM »
Maybe it is just me but I think it is being done significantly less than it use to be but yes still done more than it should. Maybe it is the crowd I hang with. :grin:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 03:04:00 PM »
Maybe it is just me but I think it is being done significantly less than it use to be but yes still done more than it should. Maybe it is the crowd I hang with. :grin:
GliderJohn

I find it to be done a lot more that it needs to be.   I agree with the "compensating for low self esteem" thing.   Why would any reasonable person do it?   

The "learned response" thing is like the monkey and bananas experience.   Actual experiment.

Cage full of monkeys.   Tall pole in the middle with bananas on top.   As soon as a monkey climbed the pole and got a banana, all the monkeys in the cage got a shock.

So, soon, as soon as a monkey went after the banana, the other monkeys would pull him back down.   The experimenters then stopped the shock when he grabbed a banana, but they'd STILL pull him back down. 

Then they started changing out the monkeys in the cage until only half of them had ever felt the shock, and they still pulled down any monkey that went after the banana.

Finally, NONE of the monkeys in the cage had ever felt a shock, but they would STILL pull down any monkey that tried to climb the pole.

So maybe it was just one dude with a high-compression shovel with a pair of SU carbs in 1973 that caused all the problems.

Or maybe these guys are just anti-social, attention-seeking, 3-year-old-level behavioral age arsewipes.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 03:05:59 PM »
 Haven't we about worn this topic out ?

Dusty

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 03:22:40 PM »
Knuckleheads on shovel heads

Offline paul in rochester

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 03:41:07 PM »
I told one fella that if my bike ran that bad, I'd sure as hell fix it before hitting the road again, just to be sure.
I received for my efforts the Hawaiian good luck salute.
who needs therapy? i have a motorcycle!!
'00 jackal; '83 GL650
babysitting two CX650T

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 03:52:43 PM »
Well if you notice its only those with loud pipes that do the throttle  blips. Those with quiet pipes just sit there at the light like a normal person. So it's obvious they are thinking they are impressing someone. Well I'm sure they are impressing themselves.  :boozing:
Bill

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 04:04:38 PM »
Blipping the throttle was necessary back in the days of Bendix carbs and manual ignition advances. Heck, if I didn't keep the rpms higher than 4K on my RD200, it would load up and foul the plugs! As several others have mentioned, these are lifestyle choices. The fantasy could not be complete without throttle blipping...

Hey, I'm sure that there are segments of the riding paradigm that find my choices bizarre, as well.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 04:30:15 PM »
It’s a portion of what Rocker said, and a good deal of , “ hey I bought a Harley so people will look at me vroom vroom, look at me dam it”.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »
Who really gives a fat rats ass if someone chooses to “blip” their throttle, it is their throttle? No skin off my arse if they do or don’t. I agree with Dusty👍
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 04:38:07 PM by Ncdan »

bobrebos

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 04:59:34 PM »
I have no problem with it. If they enjoy it so be it!   :bike-037:

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 05:03:59 PM »
It does help smooth a downshift , or to conceal a fart 

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »
Look obviously a bunch are looking to hear themselves and show off.

But it's true a bunch are aping what was necessary to prevent a shared manifold/fouled idle misfire on as late as 2006 EVO Sportster and TC Harley motors.

As a result of that, and carb irregularities on other brands I've owned I habitually give the throttle a goose or two before looking away from an extended stop or to shoot a gap.

Hell I use it to let the people with which I'm riding that I'm about to pull out.

Habit.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2019, 05:27:01 PM »
Look obviously a bunch are looking to hear themselves and show off.

But it's true a bunch are aping what was necessary to prevent a shared manifold/fouled idle misfire on as late as 2006 EVO Sportster and TC Harley motors.

As a result of that, and carb irregularities on other brands I've owned I habitually give the throttle a goose or two before looking away from an extended stop or to shoot a gap.

Hell I use it to let the people with which I'm riding that I'm about to pull out.

Habit.

Being used to riding old Brits, I don't have an issue with giving the throttle a blip or two to get the airflow moving toward the intake valves before taking off, or to signal that I'm ready to move out.

And if that's all that these guys were doing, it wouldn't even be an issue worth discussing (although, apparently, opinions differ as to whether it's worth discussing even now).   

But I think what makes it an issue is someone with 2" open drag pipes on a 113" V-twin sitting there at a light for, say, 90 seconds and CONSTANTLY revving the bike up and down, up and down, a dozen times or more.   That appears to be the most common thing that makes not only us but the car drivers who get collectively pissed off with ALL bikes because of the behavior of a few road toddlers with their noise toys.

And I don't even use the "H" word associated with this behavior.   One of the worst offenders I know is a guy with a Yamaha Road Star V-twin with short open slash pipes who is quiet and civil in normal life, but who turns into a noisy grinning throttle-blipping idiot when he gets on his bike ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2019, 05:42:51 PM »
Yeah but honestly I find maybe better than 50% of the people I meet don't understand how an engine works, never mind a carbureted vs EFI motorcycle. Ergo Rocker's point about aping/learned imitative behavior.

I honestly think a large percentage don't know why, or when they "should" do it, and just think "that's what people do".

I know, I know, it's obnoxious and that's no excuse and I actually agree, but it is an explanation.

I actually don't even think most of them are TRYING to be a holes, I think they're just a little ignorant.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2019, 06:16:44 PM »
u tube vid. "motorcycle advice" Harley Davidson rider gives a new biker some tips
Also when backing up to a curb to park you must rev the shit outta your pipes. I think it helps suck the bike backwards to make it easier to park??

Offline MarkMk

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2019, 06:18:01 PM »
Apart from the Guzzi, I own an old Harley. and a supercharged 250/4 honda, my pet hate is throttle blipping, one of my neighbors, the "Queen bee" has a HD blipping B/F, I doubt even she is impressed,,,on the other side, I have a Yamaharley riding drug dog, who not only blips, but can't figure why the bike spits back when he cold megga blips it, on top of that, he seems afraid to let the clutch out completely when moving the bike  :violent1:

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2019, 07:33:02 PM »
Never entered a trials section w/o giving the Domino throttle a little blip   :bike-037:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2019, 07:54:11 PM »
Who really gives a fat rats ass if someone chooses to “blip” their throttle, it is their throttle? No skin off my arse if they do or don’t. I agree with Dusty👍

I call cop out!   This could be said about 85% of everything humans talk about.   People that do it because they just think they should are dicks.   I don’t like having to stop a conversation with a friend because some moron thinks he needs to make needless noise.  And it’s almost ALWAYS males who do it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:52:11 AM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2019, 08:04:19 PM »
I always forget to blip the throttle

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2019, 08:11:47 PM »
I call cop out!   This could be said about 85% of everything humans talk about.   People that do it because they just think they should are dicks.   I don’t like having to stop a conversation with a friend because some moron thinks he needs to make needless noise.  And it’s almost ALWAYS makes who do it.

I agree and disagree at the same time.

I agree that people who make excessive noise are annoying dicks.

I disagree that they are ALL doing it on purpose. I mean really the level of mechanical ignorance of the average person is staggering. It's easy to forget when you're around people who know a carburetor from a throttle body or a wet sump from a dry sump. But they are in the overwhelming minority.

I mean crap look at tire pressure threads to show the level of misunderstanding of even the average rider.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2019, 08:22:16 PM »
I call cop out!   This could be said about 85% of everything humans talk about.   People that do it because they just think they should are dicks.   I don’t like having to stop a conversation with a friend because some moron thinks he needs to make needless noise.  And it’s almost ALWAYS makes who do it.

Huh ? <scratches head>

Dusty

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here