Author Topic: The heedless headless needless blippery merged threadfest  (Read 21589 times)

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: unnecessary Harley throttle blipping
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2019, 06:26:20 PM »
 Someone told me about this thread so I take a look and Holy crap, handbag throwing season looks to be coming early this year.  Y'all might want to think about backing away from the keyboard and do a little riding. Get some of the excitement back. Maybe give that throttle a little blip.
 Yeah, I know,  poking the bear.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2019, 06:41:29 PM »
Someone told me about this thread so I take a look and Holy crap, handbag throwing season looks to be coming early this year.  Y'all might want to think about backing away from the keyboard and do a little riding. Get some of the excitement back. Maybe give that throttle a little blip.
 Yeah, I know,  poking the bear.

Hey, for someone who's taking the time to read this thread and then contribute to it ... well, your Gucci handbag had better be as heavy as our Guzzi ones .....  :thewife: :wink:
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2019, 07:00:10 PM »
Lannis, I am going out to the garage right now to put some old fishing weights into my old canvas bag to give it a little more heft when I swing it. I am not as strong as I used to be.  Blip blip.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:08:03 PM by wavedog »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2019, 08:00:22 PM »
I saw one at a light tonight. Thought, "Poor guy can't even afford decent mufflers, and can't tune it well enough to get it to idle."  :evil:  :smiley:  :whip2:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2019, 08:00:22 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2019, 10:00:26 PM »
 What a blipping thread this is  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2019, 10:42:39 PM »
Don’t sweat it Dusty. I don’t don’t think you can regulate content, as long as it remains in bounds, despite how trying it may be.

My hat is off to you.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2019, 05:14:16 AM »
Don’t sweat it Dusty. I don’t don’t think you can regulate content, as long as it remains in bounds, despite how trying it may be.

My hat is off to you.

You see Dusty CONTROL is an illusion....  :evil:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2019, 06:59:24 AM »
You see Dusty CONTROL is an illusion....  :evil:

Dusty has been looking for a reason to shut down this post... :evil: 

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2019, 07:02:54 AM »
resistance is futile

you will be blipped

oldbike54

« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2019, 07:03:34 AM »
  Don't really give a blip .

Dusty

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2019, 07:08:30 AM »
and remember, kids - blippin' is OK

- BUT -

FLIPPIN'    is NOT !

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2019, 01:27:36 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2019, 09:29:23 PM »
Ya know,  it happened to me today. I was trying to have a conversation with my friend at his business on PCH in Lomita Ca.. It seemed like every HD had to blip right outside the shop. The funny part was that we were chatting about our Harley's sitting in front of us and how we don't have to blip at a light :evil: :evil: :violent1:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2019, 10:55:55 PM »
One of my bikes is a Harley and I don't blip the throttle at stops. I too find it very annoying and don't understand why some do it. I much prefer the sweet sound of the Harley motor at idle, that slow steady rhythm buba, buba, buba. When a Harley is running as it should, there's no better sounding motor at idle, except for maybe my Griso, its kind of sweet sounding too.

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2019, 11:56:37 PM »
When a Harley is running as it should, there's no better sounding motor at idle

Here is the reason for that... :evil:

HARLEY-DAVIDSON: "THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO CONVERT GASOLINE INTO NOISE WITHOUT THE SIDE-EFFECTS OF HORSEPOWER"

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2019, 06:34:31 AM »
Here is the reason for that... :evil:

HARLEY-DAVIDSON: "THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO CONVERT GASOLINE INTO NOISE WITHOUT THE SIDE-EFFECTS OF HORSEPOWER"

Are you one of those that needs to say how much HP their vehicles have to compensate for something?   :evil:

My bikes have 12, 24, 52, and 80HP.  I enjoy each of them the same when I am riding where they are in their element.  No need for excess.  :)
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2019, 09:37:57 AM »
Are you one of those that needs to say how much HP their vehicles have to compensate for something?   :evil:

My bikes have 12, 24, 52, and 80HP.  I enjoy each of them the same when I am riding where they are in their element.  No need for excess.  :)

Nope,
but seem to hit a nerve with you... :cool:

I probably had many more 250 street bike then you..

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2019, 09:40:25 AM »
Nope,
but seem to hit a nerve with you... :cool:

I probably had many more 250 street bike then you..

Didn't hit a nerve.  I just enjoy sparing with antagonists.   :whip2: 

Although, I guess because you felt the need to respond to my post, and BRAG about possibly having more 250cc motorcycles than I, must have hit a nerve with you. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2019, 12:42:33 PM »

Hmm, I was wondering the same thing.

Same here, My current bikes range from 28 HP to 110 HP, not including my 50cc Honda scooter. I enjoy them all when appropriately matched to the kind of riding that I'm doing. I guess he doesn't know that there are different bikes for different types of riding and purposes.

Offline philwarner

• Gosling
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2019, 01:42:41 PM »
What a blipping thread this is  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Hmmm.  I think I unconsciously blip a time or two just before I let out the clutch to start moving; I don't know why - maybe to make sure it is still running.

A couple of years ago headed toward BBB on Dixon street in Fayetteville, Ar on my Triumph America with TORs (Triumph Off Road pipes) I got stopped at a light between two Harley riders and they were so loud I couldn't begin to hear my bike - couldn't tell if it was still running even when blipping it.  The Pied Piper in Eureka Springs that catered to riders ( mostly Harley riders) even had to add on their menu a notice asking riders to not "rack" their pipes because the town had threatened to close them down.

I like to be heard for safety, but do not condone excessive noise be it from really really loud pipes or those who ride their custom tail dragging full dressers who feel the need to pump out 50K watts of rap "music" while they cruise through town. A little blip here and there is just habit while prolonged "racking" is most often a case of "look at me" compensation.
1996 California 1100 carb
in Northwest Arkansas

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2019, 02:38:44 PM »
Throttle blipping replaces the little blue pill.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Brand X

• Gosling
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2019, 03:45:37 PM »
Hmm, I was wondering the same thing.

Same here, My current bikes range from 28 HP to 110 HP, not including my 50cc Honda scooter. I enjoy them all when appropriately matched to the kind of riding that I'm doing. I guess he doesn't know that there are different bikes for different types of riding and purposes.

Typical Throttle blipper response. :thumb:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 03:47:16 PM by Brand X »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2019, 04:52:51 PM »
This thread is to good to not keep up with, it’s like riding past a bloody accident and not rubbernecking. The real issue for me is.... I’m still not sure I know what blipping is in the first place, here is the first time I ever heard the phrase, dang I love this forum 😂😂😂😂😂👍👍👍

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2019, 06:49:21 AM »
This thread is to good to not keep up with, it’s like riding past a bloody accident and not rubbernecking. The real issue for me is.... I’m still not sure I know what blipping is in the first place, here is the first time I ever heard the phrase, dang I love this forum 😂😂😂😂😂👍👍👍

i first witnessed it among muscle cars with hot cams in them.  They would give it a couple taps of throttle before letting out the clutch to make sure it wasn't going to stall.

On the carb'd Harleys guys would like to set the idle real low and if they idled too long the bike would stall.  So to compensate they would give a quick little twist of the throttle.

I've seen guys do this on bikes without a choke upon startup as well. 

I really don't see it anymore around here because most riders have newer bikes that don't require it. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2019, 08:01:40 AM »
The last weekend in September is Street Vibrations, thank God I will be 3000 miles away for the duration.

http://roadshowsreno.com/sv_fall.php
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2019, 08:16:48 AM »

I think that folks are getting two different things mixed up.

One is the arguably NECESSARY throttle blipping that anyone would do to smooth the transition from idle to higher revs, whether because of a engine that is prone to loading up the plugs, or is idling low and maybe not jetted to transition cleanly.  This is just a couple of light twists of the throttle or pokes on the gas pedal, and if that's all we were talking about, there wouldn't even be a thread.  It's barely noticeable.

The UNNECESSARY part that the thread was originally about is the ....

blubblubblubWHAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHBLA MApopBLAMblubblublu bblubblubblubWHAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHBL AMApopBLAMblubblubl ubblubblubblubWHAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHB LAMApopBLAMblubblub lubblubblubblubWHAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BLAMApopBLAMblubblu blubblubblubblubWHA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HBLAMApopBLAMblubbl ublubblubblubblubWH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AHBLAMApopBLAMblubb lublub

over and over again with open pipes, from either a bike with a grinning idiot sitting on top looking around to see who he's scaring, or a uniformed outlaw just being bad and glaring with a "What do you want damn you?' look.

Never fear that someone will think that you're a "throttle blipper" if you're the first type; you're obviously not.   And if you're the second type, you won't be posting here because this group is not BAAAD enough ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2019, 07:30:08 PM »
In the humor of this thread, I have to confess that I have been a Harley throttle blipper :sad:

I was happily riding along on my '07 FI and came to a stop light. Stopped at the light, the engine for whatever reason that the gods of FI might explain (maybe because I was wearing my Guzzi T shirt :evil: :evil:) wouldn't idle. Kept trying to die. So I had to keep blipping the throttle to keep it running. I again confess that this has happened twice. It normally just idles without a problem.

So what is my penance for blipping :sad: :sad:      :evil: :evil:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2019, 07:41:00 PM »
Blip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Blip-A-Dee-A
My oh my what a wonderful day
Plenty of sunshine headed my way

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2019, 08:24:32 PM »
I think that folks are getting two different things mixed up.

One is the arguably NECESSARY throttle blipping that anyone would do to smooth the transition from idle to higher revs, whether because of a engine that is prone to loading up the plugs, or is idling low and maybe not jetted to transition cleanly.  This is just a couple of light twists of the throttle or pokes on the gas pedal, and if that's all we were talking about, there wouldn't even be a thread.  It's barely noticeable.

The UNNECESSARY part that the thread was originally about is the ....

blubblubblubWHAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHBLA MApopBLAMblubblublu bblubblubblubWHAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHBL AMApopBLAMblubblubl ubblubblubblubWHAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHB LAMApopBLAMblubblub lubblubblubblubWHAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BLAMApopBLAMblubblu blubblubblubblubWHA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HBLAMApopBLAMblubbl ublubblubblubblubWH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AHBLAMApopBLAMblubb lublub

over and over again with open pipes, from either a bike with a grinning idiot sitting on top looking around to see who he's scaring, or a uniformed outlaw just being bad and glaring with a "What do you want damn you?' look.

Never fear that someone will think that you're a "throttle blipper" if you're the first type; you're obviously not.   And if you're the second type, you won't be posting here because this group is not BAAAD enough ....

Lannis
Lannis you have a way of explaining things in a simple way. I hate loud @$$ pipes on any bike Harley or otherwise and it’s even worse when they are blasted either moving or setting still. Furthermore cops need to do their jobs and issue the appropriate  citation for the traffics offense. If this happened like it should there would be less of the BLIPPING. Back in my day of LE if an equipment citation was issued it could not be  rectified in traffic court until proof the vehicle was returned to factory equipment. This ended most of that crap in our county and city. With motorcycles it was pretty much restricted to the use of straight pipes. We used a 30”  dowel rod to check pipes for baffles, as straight pipes were a separate offense than loud mufflers which was in the noise ordinance section of the city county codes.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 08:27:22 PM by Ncdan »

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2019, 08:28:57 PM »
If anyone still claims to be confused by what is meant by “blipping”, then they clearly are among those who partake in this Yellow Hammer activity.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here