Author Topic: Strange "chuffing" at idle on left cyl  (Read 1148 times)

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
Strange "chuffing" at idle on left cyl
« on: September 18, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
My Cal 2 has been doing this strange thing at idle, more so now since I've rebuilt the heads, installed new rings, and tried to fiddle with the timing to get the LH side retarded to match the right. I'm as close as the dizzy adjustment will allow at this point; bike starts and runs fine, plugs seem to be burning correctly.

But at idle, there is a periodic (every 15 sec or so) "chuff" phenomenon in the left cyl; not a backfire, not a misfire, it's kind of like a hiccup. Has anyone experienced something similar? I'm going to assume it's because of my timing, and for this (and other) reasons I think a winter Dyna kit is in order, but I wonder if I can interpret it as too far advanced or retarded on that cyl? Maybe it's carb-related? No symptoms above an idle.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: Strange "chuffing" at idle on left cyl
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 10:35:09 AM »
If it were timing or ignition parts I would presume it to happen on every stroke.  15 seconds sounds like something intermittent.  Have you replaced or swapped the plugs left/right?  How old are your spark secondary wires?  Are you leaking a spark occasionally?  Try swapping the wires.  Also try swapping the coils left/right to see if you can move the fault to the other cylinder.  That might narrow the diagnostics.

Sounds a bit like a momentary lean running sneeze.  Note exactly where the recessed screw is positioned in the left carb.  Back it out half a turn and see if it alters the condition.  You can always return to the original screw position.

Could be a differential in the float height on the left carb causing an occasional leaning of mixture.

All guesses.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 10:46:13 AM »
If it were timing or ignition parts I would presume it to happen on every stroke.
Of course!

Have you replaced or swapped the plugs left/right?  How old are your spark secondary wires?  Are you leaking a spark occasionally?  Try swapping the wires.  Also try swapping the coils left/right to see if you can move the fault to the other cylinder.  That might narrow the diagnostics.
Plugs and wires are spankin' new, coils are not! I will swap and see.

Sounds a bit like a momentary lean running sneeze.  Note exactly where the recessed screw is positioned in the left carb.  Back it out half a turn and see if it alters the condition.  You can always return to the original screw position.
Now there's something I haven't dabbled with, and I'll give this a try, too. Actually, I was going to do my first attempt at synching the carbs very soon, but if the coil-swap shows no effect, I'll try this on the left and see what happens.

Thanks!
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 11:01:18 AM »
Actually, I was going to do my first attempt at synching the carbs very soon,

You *really* need to sync the carbs..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 11:01:18 AM »

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 11:04:25 AM »
Actually, I was going to do my first attempt at synching the carbs very soon,

DOH!  I foolishly presumed you had already balanced and synchronized the carbs. (two different things).  Surely a MAJOR reason for any side-to-side inconsistency.  Do you have a vacuum synchronizing tool?  If you've never done this before, give a good read here:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_carburetor_balancing_synchronizing.html

You likely have round slide carbs, but the tuning logic will be the same.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 11:20:25 AM »
DOH!  I foolishly presumed you had already balanced and synchronized the carbs.

Between you and Chuck I am now ashamed that I brought this subject up before "doing" the carbs.

Case closed, I will refrain from further embarrassing myself now.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 02:10:16 PM »
since I've rebuilt the heads,
Have you retorqued the heads/adjusted valves since then? If not, do that before trying to sync the carbs. No shame involved. We are all in this to learn and have fun, after all.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 01:40:06 PM »
If you go to Greg Bender site this old tractor do a little searching there's a piece in there about how to modify the points plate for the left cylinder I did on my convert and I was able to get enough movement to retarded to the correct position that I needed seems as though the points plate that screws in the screws hit the opening and limiting the travel that required to modify the plate according to the pictures you'll have enough movement that you can retard the timing to any position you want
TOMB

PS
For those that feel they need to criticize my no punctuation marks read the message disregard the grammar
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 01:40:59 PM by TOMB »
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 01:49:57 PM »
Yes, I modified my points plate per Bender's instructions, but apparently I didn't provide enough relief because the left STILL won't retard far enough to match the right. I have them adjusted now to an average that so far doesn't advance the left too far. Plugs look good, no detonation/pre-ignition noises (had those before I rebuilt the heads, when the left cyl was blowing smoke).

So I am going to go Dyna during the winter, I won't pull that points plate off again without replacing it with the Dyna. I'll pack it as a spare.

I also wrote a PM to a member on this thread asking about the home-made (SERIOUS Guzzi-content) manometer for carb-tuning. does anyone know the thread size offhand for the PHM30 manifold tuning port?
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 03:27:00 PM »
^^^^ That would be M6X1.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 03:36:39 PM »
For adapters use MiG tips. Miller mig tips for the smaller welders are 6x1mm
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 06:34:55 AM »
Between you and Chuck I am now ashamed that I brought this subject up before "doing" the carbs.

Case closed, I will refrain from further embarrassing myself now.

Dude... I had a bad skip/misfire on my bikes that kept getting worse and worse... Tracing connectors, and testing sensors, I started removing the tank, and found no gas in it... your good..  No need for shame. :)
Paul B

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here