Author Topic: NGC IPA Beer?  (Read 7083 times)

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
NGC IPA Beer?
« on: September 19, 2019, 11:31:39 AM »
So last weekend visiting son in law (hipster) wanted to go to one of the locale brew pubs, they usually have 6 choices but due to unexpected events they are down to 3 a dark, some fruity crap and an IPA he chose the IPA, here’s my question who decided IPAs are beer, I’ve heard the history about preserving for shipping and travel but it’s not excuse to call it beer. Especially when we can make and consume really good real beer. Livening in the Midwest  there are really good every day beers like Spotted Cow, Leinenkugel, and Potosi from Wisconsin, Grain Belt regular and Nordeast , also St.Pauli girl  from Minnesota and the list can go on. But in my opinion IPA at least the few I’ve tried is like drinking cat urine and I don’t know why people consume it.
There rant over. Any body had a good IPA ( one that actually tastes like real beer) that they would recommend?
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: NGC IPA Beer?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 12:10:05 PM »
DRDWB,

As a long time IPA drinker, I started with Red Hook Ballard Bitter back in the 1980's, I have seen a big change in IPA's.  There is a huge variety of styles out now.  I have attached a link to a brief explanation of choices.

I do agree that many of the IPA's out now are not good.  Maybe too much experimentation on just how far they can go.  However, when you do find a good one, it is very drinkable.  The problem is they come and go so fast you often can't find it again.

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/ipa-beer-styles
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 12:17:15 PM »
First off, IPAs are definitely an acquired taste. I've been a beer geek for 20 years, but I didn't get turned on to IPAs until maybe 8-10 years ago.

There's an infinite number of variables in play regarding how a beer tastes to an individual. Not just with the beer and its preparation, but with the person doing the drinking. Weather, activity and food all contribute more than you would think. I've tried beers that I considered "meh", and then tried again later in a different situation and it would be a whole different ball game. Sometimes a certain beer will just "hit".

I tell people that what you don't like today, you can't count out tomorrow!

The problem with IPAs in particular is that they have been "hot" for awhile now and everyone with a stainless bucket is making them. As is typical in such situations, the good ones get crowded out by the mediocre ones. There's more to an IPA than just dumping boatloads of hops in, and a great many breweries are still figuring this out.

Furthermore, I run into a lot of "IPAs" that really stretch the definition. Quite a few are just dry pales and hype.

From the beers you mention, I gather you're in the Upper Midwest somewhere. I don't know if you can get Great Lakes (Cleveland) brews where you are, but their Commodore Perry is IMO the best, most consistent IPA for the money.
Dogfish Head 60 minute is also a good choice with wide availability. Lagunitas will also treat you right.

As a rule of thumb, a good IPA should have a mild citrus type smell regardless of whether or not any actual citrus ingredient is used. If it smells like Vicks Vapo-rub, it'll surely taste like it too.

"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 12:34:20 PM »
First off, IPAs are definitely an acquired taste. I've been a beer geek for 20 years, but I didn't get turned on to IPAs until maybe 8-10 years ago.

There's an infinite number of variables in play regarding how a beer tastes to an individual. Not just with the beer and its preparation, but with the person doing the drinking. Weather, activity and food all contribute more than you would think. I've tried beers that I considered "meh", and then tried again later in a different situation and it would be a whole different ball game. Sometimes a certain beer will just "hit".

I tell people that what you don't like today, you can't count out tomorrow!

The problem with IPAs in particular is that they have been "hot" for awhile now and everyone with a stainless bucket is making them. As is typical in such situations, the good ones get crowded out by the mediocre ones. There's more to an IPA than just dumping boatloads of hops in, and a great many breweries are still figuring this out.

Furthermore, I run into a lot of "IPAs" that really stretch the definition. Quite a few are just dry pales and hype.

From the beers you mention, I gather you're in the Upper Midwest somewhere. I don't know if you can get Great Lakes (Cleveland) brews where you are, but their Commodore Perry is IMO the best, most consistent IPA for the money.
Dogfish Head 60 minute is also a good choice with wide availability. Lagunitas will also treat you right.

Good council included here. I ran a bar known as a beer lovers establishment in Chicago 2009 - 2014.  We had over a 100 titles in bottles/cans and 24 rotating handles, constantly being sought by the abundant Craft brewers in the Midwest. What Mojo says all rings clear to me. I affirm his choices and will add Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Founders Centennial to that list. Should be able to find both of those in the midwest.

More and more though, I'm over IPA's in general. At a craft house anymore I'll look for their Pilsner offering, which are shockingly limited. Pilsner IS Beer. For those not craft savvy, think Stella Artois. There are some out there though. One that can be found fairly widely in Victory Pils. To the OP, I think you'd like it. It is definitely more complex than the billion gallon at a time stuff we all knew and, admit it, loved, for decades, but it's got bite and flavor while being very drinkable.

first world problems.  :boozing:
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 12:34:20 PM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 12:56:46 PM »
Can't seem to acquire a taste for the stuff. We have micro brew joints popping up all over town. I'll take an old fashion or a Manhattan and the hipsters can sit around and make a bitter beer face. 
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 01:07:54 PM »
India pale ale
Like old pale ale but slight variation
Very different when it got to colonies
Merkan ipa, another thing
Straylian merkan ipa just odd
If anyone cares , Green King IPA
Is as close to real thing as you can buy
Only in uk asfaik

Offline acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »
mmmmmm, IPA

jwinwi

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 02:22:55 PM »
Try New Belgium Voodoo Ranger or Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA if you want a real treat. These are not as bitter as many (many, many, many) I've tried - more citrus and pine.
Cheers! :boozing:

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 02:54:20 PM »
I tried for five years to like IPAs. My taste buds scream, "Nooo!" Back to lagers and pilseners for me. I do like an occasional porter or stout in the colder months. The season is beginning for Octoberfest beers. Yumm! Still don't understand the sour beer craze... My son-in-law is a partner in a brewery in Waltham, MA. In addition to his company beers in his garage fridge, PBR and Coors Banquet beers are found...
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 03:16:07 PM »
Unfortunately, I like em all.  :boozing: Fish beer (Bell's two hearted) is a staple here, as well as Elysian space dust. Daredevil Lift off. Torpedo (Sierra Nevada never made a bad beer) Green Flash when we're out in SoCal. It doesn't seem to travel well.
Still don't understand the sour beer craze...
Me, either. That *must* be an acquired taste that I'm not about to acquire.  :grin:
Yeah, I like those sissy beers, too  :evil: pilsners, lagers, porters, stouts. No foo foo flavored stuff, though.
Not that I'm opinionated.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 03:45:45 PM »
IPA is crap.

Yes, I said it.  Crap. 

Beware, it looks like beer.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 03:59:34 PM »
At a craft house anymore I'll look for their Pilsner offering, which are shockingly limited. Pilsner IS Beer.

I feel your pain. I searched almost in vain for some good unfiltered Hefeweizen all summer. I can always fall back on Hofbrau, but the local craft houses are out to lunch. Shelf space is dominated by the aforementioned IPAs and Faux-PAs, as well as the new bandwagon of Gose and Sours. I'm pretty much at square one with those things, although I look forward to the day when one of those may "hit" as well!   :boozing:
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
India pale ale
Like old pale ale but slight variation
Very different when it got to colonies
Merkan ipa, another thing
Straylian merkan ipa just odd
If anyone cares , Green King IPA
Is as close to real thing as you can buy
Only in uk asfaik

Greene king IPA isn't really a IPA, at 3.6% abv and not pale in colour. It is basically a session bitter usually sold as cask conditioned (real ale).
Plenty gets drunk here in Blighty so Greene King must be doing something right (the business as just been sold for £2.7 billion).
Maybe the brewery does a stronger export version but I'm not certain.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 04:55:35 PM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 04:56:10 PM »
IPA is crap.

Yes, I said it.  Crap. 

Beware, it looks like beer.

Truer words have never been typed!
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 05:18:19 PM »
Never liked IPA's until I tried Lagunitas.  It's a favorite of mine now.  Not too hoppy.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 05:44:32 PM »
Never liked IPA's until I tried Lagunitas.  It's a favorite of mine now.  Not too hoppy.
You should try it "fresh."   :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
  • There is no try; There is only do.
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2019, 06:09:20 PM »
But in my opinion IPA at least the few I’ve tried is like drinking cat urine and I don’t know why people consume it.

Agreed.  I think the reason for its popularity is the marketing people for these ales telling people that they taste good. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 06:09:55 PM by roadventure »
dave
Millville, DE

"Moto Guzzi....you're never more than 500 miles from your nearest dealer"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »
Pffffft. I'm a hop head, and I've liked big hops ever since I first tasted them at the GABF in Denver..uh.. 99 or so. I was a Guinness guy until then.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Swedemoto

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2019, 06:44:34 PM »
Personally, I like a good unfiltered Northeast style IPA. Hop, citrus and pine, yum! I like what I like. you like what you like. Unfortunately, I wasted much of my youth drinking Budweiser and Genny. Now, that is truly cat urine!

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 07:32:20 PM »
I am an IPA fan to the Nth, and am drinking a Commodore Perry at this very moment.  Arguing taste is pointless...remembe r, to some people cilantro (another favorite o'mine) truly tastes like soap.  I suspect there is something in this with hops, also.  And I believe it has been proven that as you acclimate to hop bitterness, it takes progressively more IBU's to make your taste buds a-tingle.  But if you are looking for a starter drug to IPA's and you are coming from lagers--especially American lagers--try Summit Pale Ale or Great Lakes Dortmunder.  Both are very drinkable with balanced hop flavors.  C'mon! Drink the Kool-Aid!  What could possibly go wrong except you start spending $13 for a four-pack :weiner:
Steve
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 07:52:12 PM »
I was never was an IPA drinker, but now it's growing on me. Troegs brewery in Hershey PA makes some really good beer, perpetual ale is my favorite.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 08:15:09 PM »
OldMojo said it perfect.

And, some of us are grateful we can now get good beer everywhere instead of (I'll go Roper here) that rhino piss that used to pass for beer in the old days!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 09:05:01 PM »

Truer words have never been typed!

You're a scholar and a gentleman. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 09:09:24 PM »
You should try it "fresh."   :smiley:

I always considered you to be a brilliant man, Yes, brilliant.  I always overlook your habit, an addiction.  If your loved one make an intervention, I'll always support you.
John L 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2019, 09:11:08 PM »
Pffffft. I'm a hop head, and I've liked big hops ever since I first tasted them at the GABF in Denver..uh.. 99 or so. I was a Guinness guy until then.

OMG, he's a head.   :sad:
John L 

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2019, 10:10:12 PM »
Try New Belgium Voodoo Ranger or Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA if you want a real treat. These are not as bitter as many (many, many, many) I've tried - more citrus and pine.
Cheers! :boozing:

These are pretty good beers.  I've used the Imperial as my 'house beer' for a couple years now.   I hate that they changed the design on the bottles- too hipster for me. 
Another two to try are Sierra Nevada 'Hop Bullet', which I think is 'ok' and O'Dell 'Myrcenary' which I think is outstanding, though it is expensive.  I only drink one beer a day, so expensive doesn't matter to me.

I'm really sorry all you limp-wristed, weak-kneed, fainting pilsner lovers cannot enjoy the gustatorial delight of a hoppy beer, but I won't judge you, reprobates. 
Cheers, mates-
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2019, 10:22:23 PM »
give me an Abita Amber a dozen oysters on the half shell. 

Thanx
John L 

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2019, 11:36:21 PM »
What a relief this thread is. I can now come out and publicly declare I don't like IPA  :boozing:.

That may be a bit strong but since IPA's seem to be the flavour of the day I have received some strong reactions from the hipsters, trendsetters and so called beer experts if I say I don’t like strong hop flavours beers. I am obviously not a real beer drinker unless I like a beer with enough hops to make my face look like a scrunched up piece of paper and my mouth feel as dry as the Sahara desert after taking a sip. I have nothing against someone who wants to drink half a kilo of hops in a pint of beer but that does not mean it is the best beer in the world.

It seems to be that for a number of the local micro-breweries it is their only option to change the flavor profile of their beers. Sure have a Hop thief beer but what about a nice German bock or something else in the range.

It can be the same with some curry eaters. Unless the curry gives you third degree burns to the mouth and you are too scared to take a shit for a couple of days it is not a real curry.

Steve

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2019, 07:49:34 AM »
I always considered you to be a brilliant man, Yes, brilliant.  I always overlook your habit, an addiction.  If your loved one make an intervention, I'll always support you.

All this over a taste in hops.. :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2019, 08:02:45 AM »
Yeah not a fan.

I get the style. The problem is a billion little craft Brewers each trying to out-do the other has resulted in some horribly overdone creations.

Sometimes less is more.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here