Author Topic: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles  (Read 236247 times)

Offline gary martin

• Gaggle Hero
  • My train of thought runs on a short track.
Re: The stupidest thing anyone ever said to you regarding motorcycles
« Reply #390 on: September 11, 2014, 07:20:14 AM »
gassing up the wee Strom yesterday.  Woman on other side of pump island said, "Nice motorcycle."

me (smiling): Thank you!

woman: Is it a Harley?

me (grinning): No, it's a Suzuki.

woman:  Oh, they're fast!

I was going to tell her it was no Hayabusa but figured we already reached the limits of her motorcycle world.
04 Guzzi evT, 11 Suzuki V Strom, 84 Honda CT110, 70 BMW R50/5

dilligaf

« Reply #391 on: September 11, 2014, 09:42:56 AM »
"How do you know where the front tire is...with all that plastic up front?"

Sounds like a reasonable question to me.   ;D  :BEER:
Matt

oldbike54

« Reply #392 on: September 11, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »
"How do you know where the front tire is...with all that plastic up front?"

Heard that once , my response "if you are looking at your front tire over one MPH there is a problem"   ??? :D

Dusty

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #393 on: September 11, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »

"If it isn't turbocharged why has it got an intercooler then?" He said drawing himself up to his full five foot five of simian immensity!

This floored me and I suspect I looked pretty stupid myself certainly my bafflement was obvious. He unfolded his arms and pointed with a 'j'accuse' finger, (More like a claw really.) at the oil cooler.

"Ahh, no, that's the oil cooler my friend, its oil cooled."

Pete

Pete, I had the exact conversation when I just got my Griso.

Except I told the guy that Griso is supercharged instead of turbocharged and pointed to him the belt driven supercharger that housed between the cylinders.  ;D
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #393 on: September 11, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2014, 10:51:50 AM »
I've been to the local "Black Snake" Doctor twice and both times was asked who would be driving me home.  They seem surprised when I say I'll do it myself, since I won't be getting any sedation.  It feels about as bad as what happens after eating a big bowl of beans, and it saves my wife several hours of boredom.  They also skip the I.V. in my arm.

I wonder if the non-US guys here can confirm... I've heard that it's mainly the US that pushes sedation for colonoscopies.

I was done both ends the same day and whilst plumed in for a sedative didn't need any

Still the effect of the "flushing agent" you're privileged to take before the event is something to behold!
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #395 on: September 11, 2014, 11:06:58 AM »
I was done both ends the same day and whilst plumed in for a sedative didn't need any

Still the effect of the "flushing agent" you're privileged to take before the event is something to behold!

I hope they didn't mix up the two borescopes.

Done my first colonscopy two yeas ago, no sedative given.
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #396 on: September 11, 2014, 03:11:31 PM »
To continue this thread drift in the nether regions, I had a colonascopy a couple of months ago. Yes the flushing agent is a mavelous curitive for constipation.  I had put in the paper work for the time off here at work, which would negate the need for a doctors slip for usage of sick leave.  A month after the event, I get pulled into the Lt's office and asked where my sick slip is.  I told them I had prenotified them and as such, a sick slip was not needed. They told me I needed proof of the event in order to get sick leave approved. So I gave them proof.  I burned a copy of the DVD they gave me of the procedure and copies of the stills showing all the exciting damage in my tract.  The DVD opens with the sight of my little brown rose bud about to be violated. Appearently that was enough proof that I had the medical event.  They did not ask me for another doctors slip for sick leave. I guess you could say I really showed my ass to them this time.  You know, I don't understand why I can't get promoted here.  ;) :D ;D ~;
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

barenekd

« Reply #397 on: September 11, 2014, 03:23:24 PM »
My wife's girlfriend told me, the other day, totally out of the blue, "Now you can quit riding that motorcycle."

Rather taken aback, all I said was, " Why would I?"

She didn't say anything else.

Bare

oldbike54

« Reply #398 on: September 11, 2014, 04:54:09 PM »
My wife's girlfriend told me, the other day, totally out of the blue, "Now you can quit riding that motorcycle."

Rather taken aback, all I said was, " Why would I?"

She didn't say anything else.

Bare

I don't understand , the statement simply makes no sense , unless she meant she was buying you another bike to
ride  allowing for the retirement of the current ride  ???

Dusty

Phil_P

« Reply #399 on: September 11, 2014, 05:10:26 PM »
I don't understand , the statement simply makes no sense , unless she meant she was buying you another bike to
ride  allowing for the retirement of the current ride  ???

Dusty

Well I guess that would be one interpretation of a 'happy event'  ;)

Phil

oldbike54

« Reply #400 on: September 11, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »
Well I guess that would be one interpretation of a 'happy event'  ;)

Phil

Of course Bare did define the woman as his wife's GF , there may be some other "happy" events than what we are unaware of  ;D Bare , you old dog you  ;)

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #401 on: September 11, 2014, 06:59:50 PM »
Of course Bare did define the woman as his wife's GF , there may be some other "happy" events than what we are unaware of  ;D Bare , you old dog you  ;)

Dusty

On the other hand, I notice that Bare's boyfriend had no comment ... ?
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Penderic

« Reply #402 on: September 12, 2014, 05:33:59 AM »
A person with absolutely no knowledge of motorcycles tells me....."I bet that Motor Gussy goes real fast!, huh?"  ;D

Is your bike a goer?

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #403 on: September 12, 2014, 07:39:46 AM »
A person with absolutely no knowledge of motorcycles tells me....."I bet that Motor Gussy goes real fast!, huh?"

I have got that one many times when on the T-3. I think it may come from that beautiful sound. To the uninitiated anything that sounds that powerful has to be fast. I am okay with that. ;-T
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #404 on: September 12, 2014, 07:56:25 AM »
On the other hand, I notice that Bare's boyfriend had no comment ... ?

Bare ain't got no bf he's a manly-man, a real dirt bike rider from way back, not like them there modern-day posers strattl'in them big street machines with dirt pretentions.

I know you guys think CA is a progressive state but we all ain't THAT progressive!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:12:07 AM by Randown »
Flippity Floppity Floop

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #405 on: September 12, 2014, 10:06:47 AM »
Bare ain't got no bf he's a manly-man, a real dirt bike rider from way back, not like them there modern-day posers strattl'in them big street machines with dirt pretentions.

I know you guys think CA is a progressive state but we all ain't THAT progressive!

Well, how come our wives can have "girlfriends" that they meet for lunch and go shopping with, but guys don't have "boyfriends" that they hang out  and ride bikes with?

Funny language, dat Eenglish ...

Lannis

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #406 on: September 12, 2014, 12:17:03 PM »
We stopped at a awesome Mexican restaurant in Marietta, OH this past Sunday.   Lots of bikes out (and old cars) as there was a sternwheel festival going on.   We were on our aprilia Futura which grabbed the attention of a cruiser dude.   Spotting the "aprilia" on the tank,  he asked who made them....... "It's Italian", I told him.   I also mentioned that we're normally on our Moto Guzzi.....at which point he said his (dad, uncle, or grandfather) used to ride one.   The odd part was that while saying that,  he held out his arms like he was riding the MG and was moving them back and forth as to show how bad it handled/shook from side to side.   

richy

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #407 on: September 12, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
We stopped at a awesome Mexican restaurant in Marietta, OH this past Sunday.   Lots of bikes out (and old cars) as there was a sternwheel festival going on.   We were on our aprilia Futura which grabbed the attention of a cruiser dude.   Spotting the "aprilia" on the tank,  he asked who made them....... "It's Italian", I told him.   I also mentioned that we're normally on our Moto Guzzi.....at which point he said his (dad, uncle, or grandfather) used to ride one.   The odd part was that while saying that,  he held out his arms like he was riding the MG and was moving them back and forth as to show how bad it handled/shook from side to side.   

richy

Sometimes when a friendly guy stops to talk about your bike, you just have to grit your teeth and smile when they come out with popular misconceptions ... 

1) "BSA, that's British Small Arms!"

2) "That Moto Guzzi engine, they took them out of tractors and used them in motorcycles!" (You get that for Triumph TR-3 sports cars too).

3) "Norton, yeah, that's nice but you should have a Vincent like my uncle did, he had a Vincent Black Widow, it was so fast it killed everyone that tried to race it!"

Etc etc ... I've tried correcting them but they don't want to hear it, they just want to talk ....  I suppose it could be worse!

Lannis

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #408 on: September 12, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »
I was in a fast food restaurant a couple weeks ago with my Mille in view through the window, and with my gear on, and an older guy gave me a pitch about how dangerous motorcycles are, and that some number of riders had been killed in the small town we were in, and that I needed to be careful.  Then about 5 minutes later he came back and said he was sorry, and hadn't meant to scare me.  I told him not to worry, I wasn't scared and am used to it.

I wish I had a video camera running earlier this summer when my battery developed a broken internal connection.  Leaving the local Post Office, the Mille wouldn't start.  So I backed it up to the rear of the parking lot, which was uphill a little, waited for a break in the traffic, and got a running start to bump start it.  An older gentleman saw me and ran down to the road, waving with his hands to tell me when it was clear and holding them up to stop me if there was so much as a car on the horizon, even though I could see fine from where I was.  My first and second attempts failed due to lack of sufficient speed, and all the while the guy kept waving or putting his hands up to stop me, like he was my life line to safety.  I was getting frustrated and hot by the 3rd attempt, and got a little satisfaction when I violated his "stop" signal, got it started, and took off up the road, waving "thanks" to the guy on the way out.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #409 on: September 12, 2014, 02:32:22 PM »
It was the fall of 2013, and I was looking at Guzzis on the internet. I told my wife " I kind of wish I had another Moto Guzzi ".

Her reply was " I think you should get one ".

;-T
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #410 on: September 12, 2014, 02:38:17 PM »
At Rabbit Hash, KY, a place where bikes, mainly cruisers, gather, I had parked the Norge a few minutes earlier and was standing behind it. A young couple in proper HD garb on a very nice big-inch Harley pull in a few bikes from me. They get off the bike and start walking around. As they walk past the Norge, the young lady says in a loud voice (I assume so that I could clearly hear her) "who would buy a piece of Jap crap like that?!"

I keep my mouth shut and smile. However, I am thinking......well, you probably know.  :BEER:
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #411 on: September 12, 2014, 02:43:15 PM »
At Rabbit Hash, KY, a place where bikes, mainly cruisers, gather, I had parked the Norge a few minutes earlier and was standing behind it. A young couple in proper HD garb on a very nice big-inch Harley pull in a few bikes from me. They get off the bike and start walking around. As they walk past the Norge, the young lady says in a loud voice (I assume so that I could clearly hear her) "who would buy a piece of Jap crap like that?!"

I keep my mouth shut and smile. However, I am thinking......well, you probably know.  :BEER:

She'd been well taught by the best.  She'll soon be Poser Queen First Class and get a gold badge for her assless chaps.

Lannis

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #412 on: September 12, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »

Well, for one thing, riding on the back of a motorcycle does not make one a motorcyclist.

"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #413 on: September 12, 2014, 03:43:20 PM »
  But if it makes her wear assess chaps and nothing else you can see her assets.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #414 on: September 12, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »
By definition, chaps don't have "asses".  They're joined leggings.  Saying "assless chaps" is like saying "motorless bicycle" or "fat-free lemonade".   ;D :BEER:
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

oldbike54

« Reply #415 on: September 12, 2014, 05:02:40 PM »
By definition, chaps don't have "asses".  They're joined leggings.  Saying "assless chaps" is like saying "motorless bicycle" or "fat-free lemonade".   ;D :BEER:

True , until the wearer of chaps slides down the road at 60 on their derriere , at which time the wearer of said chaps becomes , well , sorta assless . So we can define them as "potential assless chaps" or "chapettes" as the case may be ;D

Dusty

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #416 on: September 12, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »
I found chaps lacking in protection as well.
Flippity Floppity Floop

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #417 on: September 12, 2014, 05:31:19 PM »
  Just thinking about that chaps my butt.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #418 on: September 12, 2014, 05:41:50 PM »
I like wearing assless chaps when I'm riding the Nuovo Falcone. One of these days someone will figure out I'm taking the piss.  They'll be right.

Nick

oldbike54

« Reply #419 on: September 14, 2014, 08:21:13 PM »
A repeat , but worth telling . Worked a few hours today  and the homeowner sold a DR 400 to a beginning rider while I was there . The buyer was accompanied by an older friend riding a wing  The GW rider was holding forth ,freely sharing his knowledge of  MCling , most of it laughable . The bit of advice that I finally had to contradict was the old nugget , "Well , never ever use the front brake , I'll explain why later"  ::) Not seeking confrontation , I told the wife in private that that was really bad advice , and to please have her husband find an MSF beginning  riders class , or at least someone more knowledgeable about riding MCs to learn from .
  I pointed out that the GW had linked brakes , and whether the guy knew it or not , he was probably using his front brake , which just drew a blank stare . The GW did have a loud stereo  ;D

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here