Author Topic: Moto Guzzi isn't Honda  (Read 23699 times)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Moto Guzzi isn't Honda
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 09:06:48 AM »
  A case could also be made that Moto Guzzi has learned more from Honda than vice-versa.

d00d....

:sad:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 09:14:46 AM »
 I believe more than any mainstream manufacturer ,Honda has investigated extreme RPM engines..  I have a Honda dirt bike that so troublesome you might say it has European character  :grin:

Penderic

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 09:18:48 AM »
Hmmm. A lot of manufacturers studied Honda.

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 09:26:23 AM »
d00d....

:sad:

Sorry to disappoint.

However, I think that if we look objectively at the entire industry, that Honda has innovated and contributed more than Moto Guzzi over their respective histories. I highly recommend the book I cited - if you can find a copy.

I've had three Hondas - two of the 350-Fours and a 996 Superhawk. I liked them all (except for the stupidly small gas tank on the Superhawk), but I LOVE my Guzzis and my Husqvarna.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 09:26:23 AM »

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 09:35:01 AM »

Very cool... I was not familiar with that Guzzi model. It reminds me of a bike I used to have... (but with a front disc brake)

To the high-RPM point: My 1972 Honda CB 350-Four would do 100 MPH at 10,000 RPMs in 5th gear. Think about those numbers for 1972. Rather amazing.

1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2020 Yamaha TW200

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 09:38:36 AM »

Not a Guzzi, just a rebadged Benelli.
Charlie

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 09:55:15 AM »
 Scud , once again , the intention was not to bash Honda , or Harley , or McDonalds . Well , maybe Mcdonalds  :evil: The idea is this , some folks seem to be disappointed that MG doesn't act like Honda, or HD .

As for Soichiro Honda , no doubt he was an amazing man , loved motorbikes , apparently owned quite a few from different companies , hell , maybe even a Guzzi  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 10:11:19 AM »
Scud , once again , the intention was not to bash Honda , or Harley , or McDonalds . Well , maybe Mcdonalds  :evil: The idea is this , some folks seem to be disappointed that MG doesn't act like Honda, or HD .

As for Soichiro Honda , no doubt he was an amazing man , loved motorbikes , apparently owned quite a few from different companies , hell , maybe even a Guzzi  :laugh:

Dusty

I refer back to my original post on this subject............   "Doing a little deep thinking Dusty? ;-)"  <LOL>

We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 10:18:01 AM »
Thanks Dusty. As for acting like Honda:  I think Honda got the funds to be innovative by getting 80 million people to buy Super Cubs... and heaps of other popular models.

Now if Guzzi can get 10,000 people a year to buy V7s and V9s, maybe they can put some cash in the bank and develop the diesel-tractor adventure-bike we've all been waiting for...  :rolleyes:  ... or maybe a LeMans 7 (or whatever number is up next).
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »
McDonalds? can't eat that crap, made dirty hot dog water shoot out of my ass every time.

Information overload.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 10:29:44 AM »
Thanks Dusty. As for acting like Honda:  I think Honda got the funds to be innovative by getting 80 million people to buy Super Cubs... and heaps of other popular models.

Now if Guzzi can get 10,000 people a year to buy V7s and V9s, maybe they can put some cash in the bank and develop the diesel-tractor adventure-bike we've all been waiting for...  :rolleyes:  ... or maybe a LeMans 7 (or whatever number is up next).

:laugh: Yeah , the Super Cub production figures are approaching 90 million , truly incredible . Just assuming a profit of 10 bucks per unit over the production run , Honda has probably made more money on one model than Guzzi has in total since 1958  :shocked:,

Dusty

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 10:52:43 AM »
Moto Guzzi isn't Honda  ..................

:azn: :azn: :azn: :azn: :azn: :bow:  and that is good news
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

canuguzzi

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2016, 11:19:13 AM »
The whole anti anything not Moto Guzzi is strange. Sure, Moto Guzzi bikes are unique. So we now have the:

UIM, the unique Italian Motorcycle.

But it really doesn't matter. The character, soul, personality or whatever is what sits on the seat of a motorcycle, not the parts used to make it. Put a Neanderthal on any motorcycle including a UIM and that is what you have, nothing more. There is no genuine appreciation for anything else if accomplishment especially if it is better in any way.

The Honda V65 Sabre properly sorted as the UIM works says it, has as much soul, character and personality as any Moto Guzzi. It has the subtle vibes of power that with a competent rider was nothing less than an unleashed Saturn 5 rocket. Sorted right and anyone would do to any Moto Guzzi, it could take you across the country in supple pleasure or spin through curves without embarrassment. At idle its raspy burble could make any.muscle car drive envious.

There was none of this "you don't need ____________" justification because your bike didn't have it and no matter what you did never would.

You put an oil kit on it and then ran it 100,000 miles because that was the norm, not some holy grail achievement.

Yamaha had the GTS and if you wanted something unique, it was that in spades. Its 2 stroke twins left everything in a cloud of blue smoke on any day on any road that wasn't I10.

Suzuki's V-Strom practically made ADV the thing to buy.

The rider makes the motorcycle, not the other way around. Far too many people substitute having a uniquely styled motorcycle for not being able to see past their vacuum tube TV, transistor radio and the tube tire patch kit in their back pocket.

Motorcycling is the sum of all the brands and motorcyclists are the sum of all those who ride.

Those who berate brands they don't like for whatever reason aren't motorcylists, they are just tired hold backs of a tired era but they too will fade away.

What can we do to help?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2016, 11:40:28 AM »
 :rolleyes:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
On my first ride of the LeMans IV around Clearwater Beach a toll guard asked me "What kind of Honda is that?"

So there.

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2016, 11:57:42 AM »
I am about 90% of the way getting my EV sorted. 

Sometimes I wish it were a little more like a Honda.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2016, 12:11:45 PM »
 A frind of mine has two Guzzi's in his garage and a ST1100 Honda, the two guzzles sit waiting for repairs after he got fed up with them, the Honda with a lot of miles on it, just hit the starter and it goes, some times that what matters over soul. Just saying.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2016, 12:12:49 PM »
I think I get it.

Harley Davidson's like a Big mac! Honda is Burger King. Moto Guzzi is for guy's who preffer rissoles the way their Mama used to make 'em, well almost because it turns out these guys can also be partial to the odd Big mac and even though they prefer their rissoles, recently they have taken to adding a leaf of lettuce, a bit of gherkin and even some relish here and there. Some of these guys have even taken to bragging about the quality of there rissoles and tried to introduce young folk to the authentic taste of Mamas rissoles but it always comes to nothing - the young folk just look at the rissole and without taking a bite say 'It's OK, I'll go get myself a Big mac"

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2016, 12:50:01 PM »

A quote from Soichiro:

"Driving a car is like sitting in the living room; driving a motorcycle is something like riding a horse - it's driving and controlling something that is almost alive." (page 120)

YES.....

canuguzzi

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2016, 01:14:36 PM »
More like Mamas rissoles are the only food allowed and anything else is sacrilege, including adding a little pepper. And don't even mention a change to the recipie unless it passes muster and then only when applied to the original because changing the old is okay even if it means turning rissoles into rigatoni but even mention changes to something new and its you have the wrong food!

Or, completely rebuild an older model and turn a street bike into an ADV and hooray. Take the old bike and make a trike and its a feat of miracles.  Even mention changing a new model and you bought the wrong bike.

The younger people like rissoles, they just don't want it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

And that is why Hondas and McDonalds exists and why our Moto Guzzis have disk brakes, fuel injection and more than one mirror. :evil:

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2016, 02:06:35 PM »
More like Mamas rissoles are the only food allowed and anything else is sacrilege, including adding a little pepper. And don't even mention a change to the recipie unless it passes muster and then only when applied to the original because changing the old is okay even if it means turning rissoles into rigatoni but even mention changes to something new and its you have the wrong food!

Or, completely rebuild an older model and turn a street bike into an ADV and hooray. Take the old bike and make a trike and its a feat of miracles.  Even mention changing a new model and you bought the wrong bike.

The younger people like rissoles, they just don't want it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

And that is why Hondas and McDonalds exists and why our Moto Guzzis have disk brakes, fuel injection and more than one mirror. :evil:

That's funny,

By the way that other mirror, you have those in the US too? Unless we ride Lambretta's when we need lots of mirrors (obviously) we just have two in case we go riding on the continent, don't we?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:09:33 PM by pikipiki »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2016, 02:08:43 PM »
Without getting in too deep, other than the many miles I put on my Matchy I/we have owned two C100 Cubs, a C90, a CB100, a CB250RS and a GB400 followed finally by the Breva.

Must admit that the Hondas have all been very good. Took a year trying to get the agents to sort the 400 out (and couldn't) so the day it came out of it's warranty period I did it myself.

A Honda was the only Japanese bike I would consider (after working on friends various other brands0.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline guzzinka

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »
John gets it .. although we both would probably prefer personality to "soul" .

Dusty

I was recently laid up for 48 hours by a burger with too much personality :wink:

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2016, 03:46:23 PM »
Moto Guzzi isn't Honda  ..................

:azn: :azn: :azn: :azn: :azn: :bow:  and that is good news

If I wanted a Honda, I would have a Honda. I don't have a Honda, so what shall we infer?

It always chaps me when someone asks, 'Wouldn't you rather have a Harley?'

Bill Lovelady        IS
Eskino Spy
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »
I was recently laid up for 48 hours by a burger with too much personality :wink:

...and thank-you for not describing the "exit strategy."
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2020 Yamaha TW200

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2016, 04:09:18 PM »
The idea is this , some folks seem to be disappointed that MG doesn't act like Honda, or HD .

Exactly...  Too many people around here pissing and crying because Guzzi isn't like Honda or Yamaha or Toyota or whatever big mega company.

Too may threads crying "why doesn't Guzzi do what ______ mega company does".

It's getting old.  Real old.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2016, 05:09:51 PM »
 This forum in no different that most other forums of other brands, if you listen to all the complaining about issues the bikes are said to have you would be afraid to venture far from home on any of them.
 Bob

We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2016, 05:48:39 PM »
Exactly...  Too many people around here pissing and crying because Guzzi isn't like Honda or Yamaha or Toyota or whatever big mega company.

Too may threads crying "why doesn't Guzzi do what ______ mega company does".

It's getting old.  Real old.

The reason I am riding a Guzzi is partly because of its non-mainstream status. Add the beautiful flowing lines of the Guzzi designs, the unique power delivery of the engines, the above average handling of the chassis, and the ease of routine services and it suits me well...better than the "big" companies' offerings for the most part. Were Guzzi to become another "popular" make, some or all of the things that draw me would likely be compromised or gone altogether. I want them to stay in business....but just barely...like it's always been!  :evil: Flame if you will....I'm wearing Nomex.  :thumb:
  Oh yeah....Guzzi's draw "different" folks as owners. Where will we all end up if Guzzi becomes mainstream? Not a pretty picture.

Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

kirby1923

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2016, 05:57:36 PM »
Guzzi is that indy hippie Italian cafe in the dodgy part of town.  The arch opposite of Olive Garden.

No matter how many yuppies discover it and want to make it something it's not,  it remains the indy hippie Italian cafe in the dodgy part of town, and can never be Olive Garden...

Damn.  I'm getting hungry...

Its like old English sports cars and a few of my girl friends....you got to like a little pain to enjoy.

:-)

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2016, 06:00:14 PM »
What about that whole "You meet the nicest people on a Guzzi" campaign??  Was that just a load of mele stradali??

hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here