Author Topic: Just for balance , what do you not miss ?  (Read 9644 times)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Just for balance , what do you not miss ?
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2016, 10:06:01 AM »
Cable TV

Still have that too...

Crappy eurofuses inside the headlamp

Still running those in all of Loops - no problems. <shrug>
Charlie

Offline SmokinJoe

• New Egg
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »
Out houses, indoor plumbing is great.
I don't have a problem with points ignition, carburetors, or tube tires but I like electronic ignition, fuel injection, and tubeless better.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »
I don't miss working in the family chicken business . ....  two hen houses with about 400 chickens.   Not a lot of fun when you're 12 years old and being paid $1 a week.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline zedXmick

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2016, 07:24:58 PM »
the old crap camera's of my youth....the 110 camera, pure garbage. loading film, running out of film. running out of flash bulbs....
2010 VFR1200F  DCT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2016, 07:24:58 PM »

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2016, 07:57:30 PM »
the old crap camera's of my youth....the 110 camera, pure garbage. loading film, running out of film. running out of flash bulbs....
Yeh film cameras were pretty crap, the cheap ones esp and the 110 film. Better results on a box brownie with its large negatives.

Having said that it was fun playing with an enlArger and 35mm film b/w only.
Amen to the vacuum wipers. Morris 8's had them here in NZ but you could disconnect the mech and operate them by hand if you were desperate.
My first car a Humber 80 had no heater so you had to rug up before taking a long drive. No radio of course either.

Ahh those were the daze ;-p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2016, 09:37:44 PM »
dimmer switches in the floorboard of a manual shift transmission vehicle while stopped at a light or intersection
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2016, 09:43:40 PM »
Running full wheelbarrow loads of concrete to pour slabs.  10 yds of concrete is a lot of wheelbarrow loads.  Cranes with 1cy buckets were to expensive to bring in.  Concrete pumps hadn't been invented.  So we wheeled concrete as fast as whe could.  We'd use two wheelbarrows per laborer.  Drop off the empty, pick up the full and push.

Nobody wheels concrete anymore, pump rental is so cheap.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2016, 09:43:51 PM »
Disco! The 80s was a long decade in the wrong way music wise.
GliderJohn

Ummm, John - you may want to check the settings on the WayBack Machine. Disco was a thing in the 70s, and by '81 had punk and various other genres competing to put well-deserved nails in its coffin. The 80s weren't all that bad, if you could get past Boy George.  :wink:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2016, 09:49:27 PM »

Carborated cars, especially in the winter. Pulling the air cleaner when it was 10 below or colder and trying to spray starter fluid was nuts.

DOS 6.x

sigh

I remember Winnipeg in the winter in the early '70s. Stick-on things to fake the car windows into being 'double-layer' so you could see through them. A can of ether under the seat. Being sent out by my parents to start the car 20-30 minutes before we were going anywhere.

DOS 6 wasn't bad - not compared to DOS 4! Our old joke was always that Windows versions were like Foreigner albums and Star Trek movies - every other one was good!
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2016, 09:56:11 PM »
I don't miss working in the family chicken business . ....  two hen houses with about 400 chickens.   Not a lot of fun when you're 12 years old and being paid $1 a week.

I went to a boarding school for grades 8-11. We had a chicken barn where we raised 12,000 chickens a year (4 months chick to meat packing, 24-hour lights). Chicken barn duty was the most hated of all chores...
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2016, 09:57:56 PM »

Actually the Minolta 110 SLR I still have (bought it new!) was a great compact camera. 110 film wasn't too much smaller than half-frame 35mm, the real problem with 110 cameras was that they mostly came with crappy plastic lenses.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Penderic

« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2016, 11:06:19 PM »
Its' Hot Hot Hot!

Local warming, and overheating again? Darn.

No more!

:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:35:31 PM by Penderic »

Penderic

« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2016, 11:12:14 PM »
Wish I could avoid climbing up and down stairs.

Oh well ....

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2016, 11:24:35 PM »
 Hey Kiwi Kev, What year and model Humber did you have?
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »
Hey Kiwi Kev, What year and model Humber did you have?
Umm. That's going back a bit now, it was a Humber 80 I know 1475 cc and gutless which is just as well. Usual crappy brakes of that era but it was easy to work on. I pulled the engine out a few times over in our barn .. god knows why but we did that sort of thing then .

Fixed the gearbox myself once which I was proud of at the time. The main shaft had a big curclip thingy on it to hold gears in place. It had slipped out of its groove and caused mayhem in the box.

Anyway I ended up rolling it in a back country round one night going home a diff way for a change. Damn corner just kept getting tighter and tighter until she flipped. No seat belts so I end up sitting on the ceiling unscathed.

Fun times :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2016, 03:56:08 PM »

Ha I have a new drug test I have to take for my doctor who gives me narcotics. I have to pee in a cup to prove that I actually take the narcs and not sell them on the street. The Feds will check my results and my doc is off the hook if the narcs are in my pee.
How about them apples. They got you both ways now. Legal or illegal you gotta pee in the cup.

RedRider, Could you please elaborate on that more? Is it the feds that require it, or your MD?  I am an RN. and I also take narcs for chronic pain, but I had never heard of this.......Man , what is our world coming to!
Thanks , Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2016, 04:04:47 PM »
RedRider, Could you please elaborate on that more? Is it the feds that require it, or your MD?  I am an RN. and I also take narcs for chronic pain, but I had never heard of this.......Man , what is our world coming to!
Thanks , Rick.

I saw my doc on Friday and she wrote my Rx for vicodin and then wrote an RX of a urine drug blood test. She said the Feds NOW require prescribing MDs that give out narcotics on a patient on a regular basis to have that patient take a drug test to prove he/she is actually taking the drug. She said if I do not take the test proving I am taking the drug she will be in trouble with the FDA. She said it is a NEW FDA requirement for schedule II drugs.
Red 90 Mille GT

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2016, 04:48:43 PM »
 Polio scares in the summer...Having to ask for rubbers in the drug store ...

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2016, 10:03:34 PM »
Here's a big one for me.   The truly crappy riding gear of yesterday.   That old stuff that would not keep you dry, or warm, or cool.  Today's Aerostich stuff, the heated gear, truly waterproof boots, and great helmets are magical to me. 

I was never a fan of tube tires.    And let's face it, a lot of the "braking" systems back then were more aspirational than actual deceleration devices.

Tire technology has come a long, long way.

How about having 2 channels on the TV, and maybe a third if you adjusted the antenna just right and made the correct incantations to the Moon Gods?

I have mixed emotions about this one--the ever-present cigarette smoking back in the day.  I was never a smoker, yet felt at the time that smokers were being unfairly turned into pariahs.  But on the other hand, it sure is nice nowadays for a non-smoker like me to be able to go onto an airplane, restaurant, lobby, bus, etc. and not be made sick by great billowing grey clouds of tobacco smoke. 

Another big one for me is the blandness of the food back then.  I can remember my paternal grandmother regarding pizza as something pretty exotic.  She called it "pizza pie."   I can remember Del Taco being somehow "radical" in the food department--gee, what's a taco?  We seemed to think that Rice-A-Roni was a pasta/rice dish invented in San Francisco, which the Persians probably stole from us. 

At least growing up in Georgia, you had plain mustard and ketchup and BBQ sauce.  No readily available picante sauces, salsas and the like. 

Today, it's nothing to find fantastic foods from Mexican, Chinese, Thailand, India, Persia, etc.   
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Penderic

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2016, 12:38:53 AM »
Batteries not included!

:huh:

Penderic

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2016, 12:47:28 AM »
Having to dress up.

:shocked:

Penderic

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2016, 01:06:59 AM »
Fountain Pens! Hate em!

:embarassed:

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2016, 08:15:23 AM »
I saw my doc on Friday and she wrote my Rx for vicodin and then wrote an RX of a urine drug blood test. She said the Feds NOW require prescribing MDs that give out narcotics on a patient on a regular basis to have that patient take a drug test to prove he/she is actually taking the drug. She said if I do not take the test proving I am taking the drug she will be in trouble with the FDA. She said it is a NEW FDA requirement for schedule II drugs.

At the VA if you are on the narcotics renewal plan, you get drug screened once a year, to make sure you are taking them and not selling them. I always ask how I can find these sellers.... :evil:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:16:47 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here