Author Topic: NGC Im struggling with this retirement thing....How to stay busy?  (Read 15107 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Im struggling with this retirement thing....How to stay busy?
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2017, 12:49:14 AM »
ever think about volunteering at a dog shelter? you can be their first best friend, and they'll thank you every day.
just a pet on their heads, a treat, taking them on a walk, or just a kind word can make a huge difference in their life.
That is a beautiful sentiment and I cannot better it...
However a good way to stay busy is to restore a bike, especially one that you may have had a history with.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2017, 05:52:22 AM »
That is a beautiful sentiment and I cannot better it...
However a good way to stay busy is to restore a bike, especially one that you may have had a history with.

Dogs have always been, and will be forever my best friends.
Recently I clipped off the end of my little finger. Blood everywhere.
My Boxer, rescued after being abused as a pup, and my constant companion for 13 years, had a look of concern on his face as if it were his finger. I forgot about my pain to comfort him. Never had a bike that I care about as much as my current 3 rescues, or any of the other rescues I've had or fostered.
But that is me. Everyone needs an interest that works for them.

bobrebos

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2017, 06:12:03 AM »
Dogs have always been, and will be forever my best friends.
Recently I clipped off the end of my little finger. Blood everywhere.
My Boxer, rescued after being abused as a pup, and my constant companion for 13 years, had a look of concern on his face as if it were his finger. I forgot about my pain to comfort him. Never had a bike that I care about as much as my current 3 rescues, or any of the other rescues I've had or fostered.
But that is me. Everyone needs an interest that works for them.

:thumb:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC Im struggling with this retirement thing....How to stay busy?
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2017, 06:25:18 AM »
I told my wife that when I retire I am going to resurrect my woodworking skills and drive around picking up discarded furniture to restore and/or remodel and then resell.  She wants me to buy and sell motorcycles.  I may take a part time job at the local motorcycle shop since I have already put a lot of people on bikes even though I don't work in the industry.

My Grandparents occupied their time by going to garage sales.  My Grandfather bought anything that was broken and my Grandmother bought items that she knew she could resell.  Then they went to a local flea market once a month and sold what they fixed/bought for a profit.  It was something they could do together and gave them some spending money.

My parents did a lot of volunteer work.  Helping adults study for the GED.  Cleaning streams.  Working at the public television station.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2017, 06:25:18 AM »

Offline gerryp

• Gosling
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2017, 07:07:02 AM »

I work with the local Agency on Aging assisting senior veterans (well, those more senior than me) with companionship and money management.

Gerry
2015 Guzzi V7 Stone - Gloss Red

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2017, 07:07:15 AM »

As my good friend Bob Wegman says, "When I get up in the morning I have nothing to do. When I go to bed at night I only have 1/2 of it done!"

Or, like the old song says ... "They say I'm lazy but it takes all my time!   Life's been good to me, so far ... "

Retired three years this month.   

I probably have 50 unfinished projects around the house and farm and in the shop.   Just got back from two weeks in Cornwall just exploring.    Going to every rally I can.    Visiting family and old friends.

If there were three of me and we had 25 years, I couldn't do all the things I want to do and finish all the projects I want to finish, so it's hard for me to relate, other than say that even though I enjoyed my work, the day I retired was one of the happiest days of my life and it's just gotten better as time goes on.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2017, 08:36:30 AM »
Dogs have always been, and will be forever my best friends..

I've also been taking my puppy (now 6 mos old--this pic was taken at 5 mos) to an assisted living facility to visit the residents.

upload your pictures

Rich A

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2017, 08:59:10 AM »
I've also been taking my puppy (now 6 mos old--this pic was taken at 5 mos) to an assisted living facility to visit the residents.

upload your pictures

Rich A

Wow! What a great thing to do. For the residents, and your best friend.  :smiley:

Offline SmokinJoe

• New Egg
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2017, 11:16:10 AM »
Volunteer work and travel. Find the best match for your skills and it fills your time perfectly.

upload image to a post on web
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:59:52 AM by SmokinJoe »

Offline MarkPell

• New Egg
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2017, 02:41:18 PM »
Good timing for this topic to pop up for my situation considering I just decided last week to retire in the spring.
After chewing up the last 2 months of weekends rebuilding a deck at the house and missing the best 2 riding
months of the year helped making my decision.
I really enjoy these home projects (have plenty more waiting) but it stinks that they become such a grind plus
taking up all my free time takes all the enjoyment out of it.
I am not really worried as the OP is with finding things to do in retirement but you all have given me more great
ideas that I won't likely have time for!!  Can't wait!!
Mark

2000 Kawasaki W650
1983 Lemans III
2019 Road Glide
2006 FJR1300
2007 Rokon Scout
1971 Bultaco Alpina
1971 Rupp Roadster
2006 Aprilia Mojito 150
2010 Vespa 150

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2017, 11:54:03 PM »
Just Thinking........

10 Best Roads in America

� on: November 07, 2017, 10:26:35 AM �

So I came across this 10 Best Roads in America list on You Tube.
1. Pacific Coast Highway
2.Pikes Peak
3.Blue Ridge Parkway
4. Tail of the Dragon
5. Beartooth Highway
6.Going to the Sun road
7.Coastal Route 1 Maine
8.Grand Staircase, Escalante, Utah
9.Natchez Trace Parkway
10.River Road Texas
I have ridden number 1,2, 8, 10. But I wonder about number 10. How about Million Dollar Highway? Maybe they were afraid Montana and Colorado would dominate? In Texas is Twisted Sisters better than River Road? I have ridden both each has it strong points. So almighty all knowing Guzzi riders please weigh in with your thoughts.

Paul

I've ridden the Million Dollar Highway and it's nice but has far too much traffic on it to be considered a fun ride IMO.  I think they should add the Chief Joseph's Highway to the Beartooth Pass road as one can lead right into the other and CJH was pretty great too.

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2017, 06:39:57 AM »
The choice of the Pike's Peak road is a headscratcher.  That's a great road only if you enjoy going up hill in heavy traffic.  I wonder if the persons who wrote the list have actually ridden the roads they chose.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2017, 06:49:17 AM »
Hike. brings back the innocents of your youth, great for your mental and physical health.
Bring a PB&J, something to drink, binoculars, and your best friend. 4 legged ones, they don't complain  :wink:

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2017, 07:12:17 AM »
I'm not really qualified to answer that question, but I look forward to the day I have your problem.  Some things I want to do are, riding, hunting, fishing, yardwork, riding, woodworking, riding, woodworking, building a lake, riding, woodworking, fishing, napping.

We'll see what happens :evil:
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

bobrebos

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2017, 07:33:11 AM »
Well, i like older used cars and trucks, and enjoy working on them (and cycles of course) so this is my new to me purchase.  1990 Ford F150.

Has a bad squeal coming from Serpentine belt area.  Belt has been replaced, and still squealing.  I sprayed water on the belt while its running and the squeal goes away.  That is supposed to indicate a bad belt alignment, but Il be darned if I can find where its not aligned correctly???  Maybe I'l replace the belt tensioner even though the mechanic video I study says if water shuts down the squeal its an alignment and not a tensioner problem??? 

Oh well, keeps me out of trouble.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:38:41 AM by bobrebos »

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 08:24:40 AM »
Many good suggestions and ideas here, a lot depends on your personality. Are you a people person? Are you one of the live to work folks? I'm one of the work to live folks and have been enjoying retirement for 7 years now. I wonder how all the things I do now got done when I was working 40+ hours a week. Travel, learning a new language and going to computer classes are filling my time and still all is good. Good luck, most times it's a failure of imagination that holds us back.

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »
Something else to consider if relocating;  Do you like the action & activities of a city or the solitude of the woods?  I'd go crazy in the woods after a few days.  I like all the action and activities to be nearby and easy to get to.   In Phoenix we chose to be within the "freeway loop" with fast access to a lot of activities.  Many of our friends are one hour away to come in for events.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2017, 09:55:16 AM »
Spend your day posting on WG! 😄

1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »
If you want a single project that will keep you busy for a couple of years, pick up and restore a basket case Indian. I'm not retired but my basket took me a couple of years AFTER I collected all the parts I needed. There's a large learning curve (learning is good), you have to rethink engineering and assembly processes you've learned on Italian bikes and the rewards are incredible!
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline Higgins9875

• Past and present motorcycles
  • New Egg
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2017, 04:45:22 PM »
This book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/544038.How_to_Do_Things_Right

It is out of stock at Amazon but available used. Very funny musing on retirement. I read it years ago but now need a reread as I approach retirement.
1969 Honda 350 Scrambler
2010 RE Bullet 500
2012 Triumph 800
2016 V7II Stone

twowings

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2017, 06:28:02 PM »
Remember all those times at work when the meeting was droning on or you suddenly realized everytime you emptied your Outbox your Inbox magically filled back up, or a annoying customer or co-worker wanted to blame all their troubles on you, and then your mind and gaze drifted out the window to regard a PERFECT DAY and wished with all your heart that you could be RIDING YOUR BIKE instead??

Now you can, because THAT'S what retirement is for...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2017, 08:33:50 PM »
Now you can, because THAT'S what retirement is for...

Couldn't have said it better..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2017, 09:20:56 PM »
Everyday is a Saturday:thumb:
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline ridingron

• Gosling
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2017, 11:28:52 PM »
Wife: What are you going to do today?

Husband: Nothing.

Wide That's what you did yesterday.

Husband Yea, I didn't get finished.

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2017, 05:02:42 PM »
I’ve got bees in two locations. They take up a bit more time than I thought they would, but the honey makes the time and the stings worthwhile. I’ve taken on secretarial duties for a couple of Masonic bodies. And whenever possible I’m out on the Guzzi, or visiting dealerships to have a road test on something interesting (without any intention of buying it).
I need these diversions. My wife packed in her job about nine months after me, and if she sees me sitting down without any apparent task in hand she finds me things to do. Shortly after she retired, she saw our doctor for a routine check, and was told that retirement suited her. Her blood pressure had gone down. I saw him a couple of weeks later. He told me that mine had gone up, innocently adding “your wife’s just retired, hasn’t she”. He’s now retired too, to spend more time with his Speed Twin.

Offline Grant Borden

• New Egg
  • It's Time To Ride
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2017, 09:57:41 PM »
After reading all these post about retiring makes me wish I had asked for advise on what to do upon retiring.

Did I ever make a huge mistake shortly after retiring, told the wife to make a list of a couple of things she wanted done now that I would have gobs of time to do them between riding, building a man cave/garage for my toys. On returning home a day or two later from a short 200 mile ride I was presented with a 1000 sheet toilet paper roll with just a few honey do's she said. There were about ten items per page for the first 100 pages, then the number per page increased.

Long story short, after more than ten years of retirement I finally finished the second page. Not a whole lot of time available between riding and building a small building. The building did grow in size every time I heard complaints, it is still growing, I still hear complaints. At present it is 52' X 32' and growing.

Grant
1976 BMW R60/6
1980 Vespa P200E
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
2008 Kawasaki Concours14
2014 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome
2016 Royal Enfield Continental 535 GT

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2017, 10:39:52 PM »
From Grant Borden:
Did I ever make a huge mistake shortly after retiring, told the wife to make a list of a couple of things she wanted done now that I would have gobs of time to do them between riding, building a man cave/garage for my toys.
Oh my, my poor naive retirerie. Never, never ask the wife what she thinks needs to be done or you will never have time to do the man things. :the wife:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2017, 07:18:26 AM »
From Grant Borden:Oh my, my poor naive retirerie. Never, never ask the wife what she thinks needs to be done or you will never have time to do the man things. :the wife:
GliderJohn

Man, that's a fact. I made the mistake one time of telling Dorcia that my Winter projects were caught up..  :smiley:
building a lake,
Trust me, that will keep you busy for years. It's not just the making it, it's the upkeep.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

bobrebos

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2018, 07:37:22 AM »
I visited this old thread again because I still haven't made any firm decisions/choices as to whats the best to do with all the time once entering retirement.  I guess Ive decided on procrastination!  LOL   :grin:

Offline 93spada

• Hatchling
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2018, 08:44:35 AM »
I retired in June of 15.  For the first 2 years I worked on cleaning out my home and selling it. At the same time I had to find a new place to live. Then it was time to resurrect my neglected bikes.  Got that done and Bro and I did some touring to work out my and the bikes bugs. We really enjoy heading your way and finding all the Army corps of engineer projects we can and touring them.  One thing that helped me a lot was NAPS!!!! Once that was all caught up, I got a part time job with a buddy of mine for the winter doing land surveying. It is good exercise and gets me into the woods on beautiful sunny/snowy days.
have to go clean up the snow from this last nor'easter!!!!
More to follow.
Paul

3/15/18
So, I have to say, it's not hard to keep busy.
Just got back from snow blowing my ex-in-laws driveway. She is still in good shape but he has issues that keep him from running machines, so they need help around the house.
Now i'm seeing another storm coming next week!!!!!!  ENOUGH ALREADY!!!
I also do small odd jobs for them also. That takes up 1 day a week year round.

Stuff seems to keep me busy. Yesterday, after snow blowing, spent 2 hrs on the phone trying to figure out why I got $1600 in bills from my colonoscopy. (got bent over twice!!!)
This year I am also going to try to do my own taxes. That should take up a solid month!
NY instructions 71 pages, Fed 107 pages. WTF!

But, back to riding......
I now keep a small ultralight collapsible fishing pole and small box of lures on the bike. See accessible water, Fish!

I have also gotten back in touch with some old friends and we play 4hrs of doubles ping pong every Friday night. It would be really good exercise if we didn't eat pizza and drink heavily. 
We add 2 other guys and play $0.25 -0.50 cent poker once a month. A bad beat night is $20.
The last round I lost $1.75 after 3hrs play. That is a lot cheaper than going out drinking at the local pub.

So..... after all that blah blah blah,
Do what you want. If you want to sit in a chair all day every day, do it. Its your life.
But... I think you'll find that life stuff will keep you busy.
For me the most important thing is the part time job.  I need to feel that I am needed and contributing.

Happy retirement!!!!
Paul
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 06:36:43 AM by 93spada »
PJM

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here