Author Topic: Moto - International Seattle is closing.  (Read 18947 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
Re: Moto - International Seattle is closing.
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2018, 11:31:22 AM »

Happier times - after cake, when I picked up my Stelvio on my birthday in 2014. (Even Hoffa got some...)

Spud
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:34:40 AM by Spuddy »
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Cross-tie Walker

• Gosling
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »
I first met Dave in about 1989. He was working as a wrench in a shop up in Lynnwood WA  several miles north of Seattle. I'd just purchased my first Guzzi - a '72 El Dorado Police version. The then small Guzzi community around here knew about Dave and that he was premiere  Guzzi guy at that shop of other European models. I had a ton of questions as I was going to restore it completely. He was more than generous with his time and knowledge and we became friends.

Not too long after that, a business opportunity came and he was the proprietor of Moto International. The new shop was down on First Ave south of "The Kingdome" ( remember that?) Herb was the main wrench.
I was so happy I didn't have to go all the way to Lynnwood any longer, this was only about 10 miles away. I bought my first new Guzzi there, a '96 Cali but kept my old Eldo. I could never decide which ride I liked better..probably the one I was on.

A year or so later, I went over an embankment on the Eldo and bent the front forks. talking with Dave about it, he happened mention. he had a front end from a '74 (with disc brake!) and he could make it work. He more than took care of and got me back on the Eldo in swift time. I was happy I had the '96 to ride in the meantime.

Soon there was news they were going to move. Imagine my happiness when the place on Aurora was chosen, this time only about 2 miles away! Micha and Jason came on board as the main wrenches and it was always easy and convenient to take the bikes there when needed.

Over the years I bought a traded in 2 more Guzzis there a '02 EV and my present '07 Vintage.
It was a sad day when Dave retired, although thrilled for him, I knew things were not going to be same.

This last weekend I drove by the shop but couldn't bring myself to go in...This year has seen a lot of changes in my area to places I frequented. Sears closed, Sams Club closed and now Moto International has closed.  I wish the very best for all involved with the shop and their future plans, I also hope to continue the Guzzi tradition and have to believe there will other resources near. Our Seattle Guzzi community has grown by leaps and bounds since I became a member.

Kevin in Seattle
Kevin in Seattle
'72 Eldo
'07 Vintage

Offline GoodyearAZ

• New Egg
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2019, 01:27:04 PM »
Back in town (after having moved in September from my lifetime city Seattle to Arizona after retiring) for a few weeks, I too was shocked, but not surprised, at this turn of events at Moto International.

Dave Richardson always acted as if I was his best friend when I would come in to the shop.  I had four Guzzi's, two of which I bought new there.

Offline GoodyearAZ

• New Egg
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2019, 01:33:46 PM »
Last Friday I drove past the former Moto International and found a bunch of bikers having a BBQ and beer party inside and out with DJ spinning vinyl.

It turns out that the long-lived Backfire Moto group has taken rent of the building and is reshaping it into a type of biker hangout.  They are getting licenses and have a three-tap setup ready to pour craft beer soon.  I like it.

I gave the club president my LARGE Moto Guzzi decal to put up in a place to honor what used to be.  I also dropped off a 750cc shop manual, for Breva's and Nevada's. 

But it's still sad to see what used to be the best Guzzi shop in the USA dead and gone.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2019, 01:33:46 PM »

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2019, 04:08:30 PM »
Welcome to WG, GoodyearAZ! 

I purchased my Anni from Dave a month before he retired and exchanged a few emails after when Hoffa passed. :cry: I'm glad to hear the building will be receiving some love in keeping with its long moto history. 
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here