Author Topic: 2003 ev good deal , not mine  (Read 2228 times)

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 12:11:10 PM by arveno »

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
Re: 2003 ev good deal , not mine
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 12:23:57 PM »
Good looking bike.....03, hydro lifters? if so it's only a very good deal if they have been properly shimmed. I've been told that once shimmed & set up the hydro motors are among the smoothest you can find in a  Guzzi.  Fact? Comments?
ronkom 
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
Good looking bike.....03, hydro lifters? if so it's only a very good deal if they have been properly shimmed. I've been told that once shimmed & set up the hydro motors are among the smoothest you can find in a  Guzzi.  Fact? Comments?
ronkom

When I see a post like that I think "danger Will Robinson."  The first thing I would state in my ad if I sold my '03 wouldn't be that the maintenance is up to date;  it would be that it has had its hydro recall done, the triple tree checked, and that it has a dual plate clutch.  None of those issues are mentioned here . Since he is not the original owner it will probably be impossible to find out if the bike failed and was fixed, if it was just fixed, or if it hasn't been touched.   The failed bikes had a tendency to fail again if the right person didn't do the work so that's a whole other layer of information you would need to make a decent buying decision.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 02:18:28 PM »
When I see a post like that I think "danger Will Robinson."  The first thing I would state in my ad if I sold my '03 wouldn't be that the maintenance is up to date;  it would be that it has had its hydro recall done, the triple tree checked, and that it has a dual plate clutch.  None of those issues are mentioned here . Since he is not the original owner it will probably be impossible to find out if the bike failed and was fixed, if it was just fixed, or if it hasn't been touched.   The failed bikes had a tendency to fail again if the right person didn't do the work so that's a whole other layer of information you would need to make a decent buying decision.

Darn, I'm in the market for a newer, nice used bike (raided my retirement account), and this checks a lot of boxes - windshield, back rest, and bags.  Just afraid to possibly have to mess with the above unknowns.  Oh well.
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 02:18:28 PM »

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:32:47 PM »
A sorted "hydro" is one of the best Guzzi engines. If one knows how to, checking for the  recall/clutch takes only about 10 minutes, you pop the rubber plug from the bellhousing, you can see it through the hole, then remove a valve cover, and look under the triple clamp or check the vin# for the clamp recall. My 03 aluminum hydro had the recall performed at 10K miles, currently has almost 30K and has been flawless, heck even the tach and speedo work !!   :thumb:
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 03:03:29 PM »
That's all fine and good regarding the 2003, what of the 2001? that can't be the correct mileage (1100?) But what a sweet paint job, on a workhorse motor with none of that hydro nonsense to be concerned with.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »
My hydro is the lowest-gruntiest, smoothest revved, quiestest running guzzi in all of guzzidom.  It has took ten years and 30 pounds off of me, restored my teeth and hair, and attracts the wimmins like a big bag of money.  We wuz flying to Nome one day and the engines quit on the Grumman Goose.  We hauled out the hydro, strapped it to the wing with some red suspenders, and continued to town without losing altitude.  Coupled to the mighty 'vert it performs far ahead of mediocre, and not too far behind everyone else.  In fact, it has never started but that it has also stopped.  It's been border to border and coast to coast, mostly under it's own power.  So if anyone axes you should they get them one, tell them Heck, yeah!  They work good!

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 03:09:29 PM »
That's all fine and good regarding the 2003, what of the 2001? that can't be the correct mileage (1100?) But what a sweet paint job, on a workhorse motor with none of that hydro nonsense to be concerned with.

Not sure that is a 2001 model .

Dusty

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 03:57:06 PM »
Not sure that is a 2001 model .

Dusty

That looks like a 2002 although I've never seen the black/chrome in that year.   Black crinkle paint, latest EV wheels and no crossover in the front.

I would prefer a well sorted hydro (biased!) but many think the 2002 was the finest year.  The only known problem was that the black paint sometimes peeled/flaked.

Oh he says that it was an anniversary model.  There was an 80th anniversary model in 2002 but they were burgundy and had leather side cases.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:58:26 PM by Dilliw »
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 10:13:50 PM »
I don't know if the '03 EV bike is still available, but this is the same seller I bought my R1100R from about a month ago, and I can vouch that he's 100% trustworthy and reliable. He told me a little about the EV when I took possession of the R11, and it sounded like a clean, solid bike. Jim also has/had the bike listed here on the MGNOC classifieds link. He's a longtime BMW & Guzzi guy, and cutting back on the fleet due to some medical issues. The price seemed very attractive, and I personally wouldn't hesitate if I was in the market for a hydro EV.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:19:15 PM by NC Steve »
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here