Author Topic: 1100 sport on CL needs saving.........  (Read 5763 times)

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1100 sport on CL needs saving.........
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »
"Continue as naked street fighter..."

Be afraid - be VERY afraid!

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 02:46:58 PM »
 :1:  He wants to "cafe" this bike.  :grin:  Must be allergic to fiberglass.  :grin:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:47:25 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »
Someone grab it. It's spare parts pricing. (If only it were a little closer -over here a runner might go for as low as $AUD8,000 - $US5,000 & the fairing alone is the best part of $1,000 used). At present  I still think we have trouble getting a '96 registered for the road (legacy local car industry protection regulations).
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 03:40:43 PM »
Is that the one that's been listed before, and is now in pieces, unlike what the photo shows?  If it is, it's been crashed, and that's why the streetfighter thing.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 04:31:14 PM »
here's one in Mpls, I'm not connected to the seller just posting in case you need it.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/mcy/d/moto-guzzi-sport/6231452490.html
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 05:34:54 PM »
At present  I still think we have trouble getting a '96 registered for the road (legacy local car industry protection regulations).

Your law is the reason why I ended up with my 97 Daytona. Leafman owned the bike and sold it to a guy in Australia from an eBay listing, but after trying to find anyway possible to get the bike into the country he finally gave up and sold it to me.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline guzzinka

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 06:02:00 PM »
Is that the one that's been listed before, and is now in pieces, unlike what the photo shows?  If it is, it's been crashed, and that's why the streetfighter thing.
Maybe it fell off that way too tall silly jack

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 01:35:38 PM »
FI '96 ???  Highly likely late '96. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 01:49:59 PM »
Your law is the reason why I ended up with my 97 Daytona. Leafman owned the bike and sold it to a guy in Australia from an eBay listing, but after trying to find anyway possible to get the bike into the country he finally gave up and sold it to me.

Lucky you. And my lust for a mate's restored 1000S in the UK remains unsatisfied. The regs are supposed to be changing, but as regulators here rarely have any contact with the real world, we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out before jumping.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 02:31:15 PM »
FI '96 ???  Highly likely late '96.

100% chance that it's a Model Year 1997 Sport 1100 with a build date in 1996.

A quick look at the VIN will confirm it's not a 1996.  The 10th digit in the VIN is going to be a "V", indicating model year 1997.  A 1996 model year would be a "T".

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 02:45:50 PM »
 :1:

Offline Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 04:00:03 PM »
The picture in the ad shows a FI bike, there is a noticeable difference in the "pork chop" frame bracket.  The carbies all have the through-hole version, this one doesn't have the hole.  Also, the rear bodywork says "Corsa" which as far as I know was only FI.

Howard
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

pete roper

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »
Lucky you. And my lust for a mate's restored 1000S in the UK remains unsatisfied. The regs are supposed to be changing, but as regulators here rarely have any contact with the real world, we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out before jumping.

Mal, it's now changed. It's still a PITA but you can bring in bikes from any year. I think the model has to have an ADR compliance number but other than that I think it's open slather now we no longer have a local auto industry to protect! :rolleyes:

Pete

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 06:59:18 AM »
Mal, it's now changed. It's still a PITA but you can bring in bikes from any year. I think the model has to have an ADR compliance number but other than that I think it's open slather now we no longer have a local auto industry to protect! :rolleyes:

Pete

Don't tell me that! I've already too many projects & not enough on the road. I suppose I had better find out about the ADR compliance number. I do remember that all the Royal Enfields imported by the previous distributor has the same compliance number, whatever the model. A little investigation needed.

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 04:17:00 AM »
Also, the rear bodywork says "Corsa" which as far as I know was only FI.

The decals on the tail say 1100 Sport. Also the top half of the tail section on the Corsa was painted black on both the red and the yellow models. 1998 Sport 1100 Corsa never made it to the US.
1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 04:49:16 AM »

Todd.
What is there that needs to be avoided like the plague ?

Offline MedicAndy

• Stable Companions:
  • Gosling
  • It's not always easy being me!
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 07:42:35 AM »

Todd.

Todd is right on with his comment!

I talked to the owner yesterday, and I was about to go on a 21 hour round trip to pick this bike up. I did tell the owner that I needed to see a couple more pictures, and a picture of the title before starting my trip. I remembered seeing this bike for sale before about a year ago, the "Street Fighter" comment stuck out, so yes, this bike had been on CL several times. And yes, it's a 97, and yes, the owner stated that he didn't knew that the bike had a salvage title until I asked for a copy of the title!

Here are the reasons why I decided to pass on this bike, at least for now with it's current asking $$$

- Salvage title still in first Illinois owners name, so the new owner never had the title transferred, which is probably ok, but.....
- Front wheel and fender is from a Suzuki, and the past owner used a saw-saw to cut the original front fenders hardware off,
  fender is missing
- All fiberglass moldings are damaged
- The bike is suppose to run, but the clutch cable is not connected
- Gages are not hooked up
- Engine is spray painted in black
- Original exhaust was so damaged that a aftermarket was installed (see picture)
- Every lock has been drilled out, so no keys are needed here!
- No rear seat
- Electrical issues
- Lots of rust
- Handle bar and grips are non Moto Guzzi
- Side-stand is missing
- MG front light is missing
- Front fairing's mounting brace / frame was cut off, and part of the brace is still attached to the fairing
- What mirrors.......
- Lots of items bent, scratched, or missing
- and, and, and....

But, having stated all of that, this bike still has value as a parts bike. If someone out there needs to replace body molding pieces, or a gas tank, or needs a engine, and you know up front that you will spend $$$ to get the items rebuild or restored, the maybe this bike is for you... For me, and I already own six 1100 Sports, needing to drive almost 21hours to get this bike home, and knowing that every part of this bike needs work..... I would be a buyer for around "much less than the asking price", but I also don't need any parts right now, and I would rather spend an additional $1.2k to get a bike without a branded title and much better shape.

But again, these are just my thoughts....

free photo website hosting
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:30:54 PM by MedicAndy »
96 Suzuki GSX-R 1100W
95 MG 1100 Sport x 1
96 MG 1100 Sport x 2
97 MG 1100 Sport x 4

Online Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 10:52:26 AM »
I'm sitting here a little dazed at the line "I already own 6 1100 Sports".

You could start your own 1 make series.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 12:58:51 PM »
So the picture on CL shows quite a different bike than what MedicAndy put up. Sounds like the seller is lying when posting this bike. It really is just a parts bike.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
what a shame.  i hate to see a stunning bike like this degenerate into a parts grab bag.  medicandy really unveiled the problems with this machine  and its too bad that its not worth saving but it truly looks like it is at the point where vivisection is the only viable option. the lack of clear title is the final nail in the coffin.

'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »
I'm sitting here a little dazed at the line "I already own 6 1100 Sports".

You could start your own 1 make series.

My wife thought, I was nuts until I let her know that some on the forum are more crazy.  :grin: 3 Daytonas, 3 1100 Sports, 2 Eldo's, 3  V11 Sports etc. It's not a habit.  It's a "mental disability".  :grin:

Offline MedicAndy

• Stable Companions:
  • Gosling
  • It's not always easy being me!
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 04:07:33 PM »
So the picture on CL shows quite a different bike than what MedicAndy put up. Sounds like the seller is lying when posting this bike. It really is just a parts bike.

I wouldn't say that the owner is necessarily lying, he may bought this bike not even looking at things like the "Salvage" printed on the title...... I know, its a far stretch....., and he never had the bike registered.... You have to take it for what it's worth, or not worth!

He knows that only around 200 of these bikes made it into the US, and I think that he is basing his asking price on that fact. He also didn't know the difference between the 96 and 97 Sports, which is why he had the bike listed as a 96. I think that he knows that he has something special, he just doesn't realize that the "special" factor dropped a lot due to the salvage status of this bike, and also because of the shape that it is in.

I told him yesterday that he should keep this 1100 and look out for another clean titled 1100 maybe needing work, so that he could combine both bikes into one nice one, with a lot of work.

I still think that the bike has value, it's just not the "less than $2k barn find that one hopes to find! I know that I would had been upset if I would have driven 11 hours one way expecting to buy the bike according to the one CL picture! It pays to ask questions and ask for lots of pictures.

Andy

96 Suzuki GSX-R 1100W
95 MG 1100 Sport x 1
96 MG 1100 Sport x 2
97 MG 1100 Sport x 4

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2017, 06:21:24 PM »
I wouldn't say that the owner is necessarily lying, he may bought this bike not even looking at things like the "Salvage" printed on the title...... I know, its a far stretch....., and he never had the bike registered.... You have to take it for what it's worth, or not worth!

He knows that only around 200 of these bikes made it into the US, and I think that he is basing his asking price on that fact. He also didn't know the difference between the 96 and 97 Sports, which is why he had the bike listed as a 96. I think that he knows that he has something special, he just doesn't realize that the "special" factor dropped a lot due to the salvage status of this bike, and also because of the shape that it is in.

I told him yesterday that he should keep this 1100 and look out for another clean titled 1100 maybe needing work, so that he could combine both bikes into one nice one, with a lot of work.

I still think that the bike has value, it's just not the "less than $2k barn find that one hopes to find! I know that I would had been upset if I would have driven 11 hours one way expecting to buy the bike according to the one CL picture! It pays to ask questions and ask for lots of pictures.

Andy
The "lying" comes from the picture showing a bike with a faring when it clearly does not have a fairing. He fails to even remotely mention how many thing are wrong with the bike. He said it is ready to ride and only needs a voltage regulator and finishing touches. From what you put up the bike is practically trashed. It you had gone on an 11 hour one way trip based on that photo and description you would have been screwed. This is the kind of guy that makes CL an iffy place to buy. You were smart contacting and getting additional info and photos.
Red 90 Mille GT

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2017, 07:04:13 PM »
May not have been discussed.  Even if the bike is what you want, the title probably hasn't been transferred to the seller.  Another pitfall that should be avoided.  He was probably looking to flip it without doing a title transfer.

twowings

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2017, 08:14:16 PM »
The red flags for me are all the 'minor maintenance' items that have been neglected...a lot of that stuff is inexpensive and not that hard to replace...SO what level of attention was paid to MAJOR maintenance?...What about riding habits?  Everything I see and understand about this bike just screams 'rode hard and put up wet'...just my 2 centavos...YMMV

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2017, 08:18:16 PM »
 :1:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2017, 06:56:34 AM »
Sometimes, free is too much.. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here