Author Topic: Dumb question on seat...  (Read 2769 times)

budw

Dumb question on seat...
« on: March 07, 2015, 10:44:05 AM »
Recently bought a '94 Cali. With spring almost here, I'm now ready to get the bike ready for the road. Step one: Read manual, which I assume is stowed under the seat. Here's my prob? How do you get the seat off? I guessed it was the lock below the left side cover. I "unlocked" it but still couldn't remove/pop seat. Thoughts? It has a Russell seat. While I am at it, what grade oil does everyone recommend?

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Dumb question on seat...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:51:11 AM »
I put an Corbin seat on a Cal III. It was attached to the rear fender by a screw, but that was in plain sight.

Rich A

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 11:51:19 AM »
If it's a one piece seat. there are 2 bolts from the back rest. You need to remove the plastic cover first to get to them. I had to rip mine off once when my regulator was melting down on the side of the highway!
Joe Walano

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 11:58:03 AM »
Recently bought a '94 Cali. With spring almost here, I'm now ready to get the bike ready for the road. Step one: Read manual, which I assume is stowed under the seat. Here's my prob? How do you get the seat off? I guessed it was the lock below the left side cover. I "unlocked" it but still couldn't remove/pop seat. Thoughts? It has a Russell seat. While I am at it, what grade oil does everyone recommend?

While we're at it, no two people "recommend" the same oil for your bike.   There will be 100 different recommendations, some based on bobstheoilguy.com, some based on AMSOIL sales literature, some based on what Uncle Ned uses in his giant diesel truck with 2.5 million miles on the motor, some based on what works in an airplane, some based on what's available down at the local NAPA store, some based on having to use something different than "the herd", some because their oil is cheapest, some because his buddy's Honda uses it and he rides all the time .....

You'll get the idea if you do a few "searches" on "oil" on the list!

So the seat comes first!    Get it off the bike, open the manual, see what Guzzi recommends, and use THAT!  Hard to go wrong that way ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 11:58:03 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 12:03:02 PM »
 If the Russel seat is built on the stock pan , after turning the lock , pull down the small hook behind the helmet lock hook . If the '94 models use that setup .

Dusty

budw

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 12:13:36 PM »
Thanks, Dusty. Guess it wasn't such a dumb question after all. I never would have figured it out. I'd managed to pop the passenger seat, which exposed how the rider seat was attached. I thought for a moment that maybe the cable had broken. You solved my problem!!!

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »
 You are welcome Bud . A peanut butter cookie will do nicely  ;D

Dusty

dilligaf

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 04:15:28 PM »
Here you go.  Not sure if they are peanut butter.

:BEER:
Matt

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here