Author Topic: Wont Crank Over  (Read 186 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Wont Crank Over
« on: April 16, 2024, 04:54:09 PM »
if your Guzzi refuses to crank, chances are you have "Startus Interuptus"

Too much resistance between the battery and Start Relay (dirty ignition switch maybe) 0.1 Ohm is too much, that would drop 5 Volts
The Start Solenoid draws around 50 Amps (50 x 0.1 = 5 Volts)
The Start Relay needs a direct +12 from the battery (optional 20 Amp fuse)
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: Wont Crank Over
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 08:23:57 PM »
Issue is more complex.  The Breva 1100 and the early Norge had a computer controlled 'auto-start' feature.  Just tap the button and it cranks until start.  No need to hold the button.
However (big sigh) the computer also evaluates line voltages and cuts the solenoid supply if it detects any substantial voltage drop.  On these models, the fix is to install a duplicate (hidden) bypass switch controls just the starter circuit and bypasses the computer entirely.  Lengthy discussion here:

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=117948.0

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Online cappisj1

• Gosling
Re: Wont Crank Over
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 09:32:24 PM »
Had the no start click twice on my 08 Norge. First time it already had the starter fix done by prior owner. I cleaned all connections. Changed the starter. Nothing helped. The battery tested fine on my volt meter. Put a new battery in it. Problem went away.

4-5 years later it started clicking again. I put in a new battery and it’s been fine for 2 years now.

I am no fan of the black art of electricity but a new battery always fixes the issue. Another thing is before changing the battery a jump box or even a battery charger added to the old battery would always make it start. You can go through the pain but I would start with a fresh battery. 

The extra starter button if a fix if you don’t want to jump it to start it when the battery just doesn’t have the juice to make it to past that solenoid.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here