Author Topic: Slime: Two-Year Limit on Slimed Tubes?  (Read 16956 times)

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
Slime: Two-Year Limit on Slimed Tubes?
« on: February 05, 2015, 10:41:26 AM »
As noted in another thread, I had a rear flat on my Harley, took it in, and then had another flat on the next ride. I have been rooting around on the web trying to find out how to protect myself in the future. Both of my bikes have tubes.

Carrying spare tubes is not a viable option. Removing tires is impossible without tools, light, and so on. The Guzzi weighs about 600 pounds with gas and fluids, and the Harley is 800 dry, so I am not going to drop them on their sides on the shoulder, gouge them up, and let cars whiz by while I struggle with them.

I just found out about Slime, and I have a question about it. I was thinking I'd put it in both bikes as a preventative measure, but I have read that it can be hard on rims. The manufacturer says not to leave it in a tire for more than two years. The obvious question is, does this mean I have to buy new tubes every two years even if the tires still have life in them?

I am wondering if I should get a Slime repair kit instead, but whatever I get has to fit in a very small fork bag. I'm not buying bags just for this. The fork bag is about the size of a half-gallon milk jug, and it already has the Guzzi toolkit in it.
People who claim they don't have ten seconds to answer your stupid questions can always find several minutes to criticize them.

Cheese

Re: Slime: Two-Year Limit on Slimed Tubes?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 11:01:47 AM »
I don't think Slime will prevent a flat in tube-type tires. I admit my data is from many years ago when I last tried it..perhaps the recipe has changed?

Peter

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 11:03:09 AM »
Curious about this as well. Just watching this thread  :pop
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »
They make a recipe just for tubes.
People who claim they don't have ten seconds to answer your stupid questions can always find several minutes to criticize them.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »
Carrying a bottle of tube-type Slime and a small air compressor is another option.  I'm doing that, and if I ever put the Slime to use I'll report back.  I took a cheap 12v compressor out of its fancy plastic case, and it takes up very little room now:

When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 11:33:53 AM »
If the slime is in your tube, then it should not come in contact with the wheel as long as there are no leaks.

Perhaps that warning is for tubeless tires.

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 11:44:11 AM »
It looks like I made a mistake in reading the instructions for the tube-only Slime. It says it's only guaranteed to WORK for two years. Sorry about that.

No doubt, of the many flat tires that I have had, Slime may have help in some small percentage. But I can't think of any that it would have helped, because those were just a roadside repair, then I drove off, non-event for me.

How did you repair tubed tires beside the road without taking the rims off?

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 11:52:11 AM »
Definitely not an option for me.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 11:57:26 AM »
If you cannot or do not want to tackle roadside repairs your best option is get and insurance policy that offers roadside assistance. Rollback to the rescue.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
I think your best option is to modify the rims so you can use tubeless tires.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 12:11:14 PM »
That's what I did.  No more tubes.

I did run slime when I had tubes.  I was lucky when I had a tube problem (washer left inside) and the slime slowed the leak enough for me to get home (30mi).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »

PH , you are looking for a magic fix that probably doesn't exist . Sometimes reality isn't pleasant .

Dusty

How, realistically, do you change a rear flat on an 800-pound FLSTC with bags that don't come off? That's my reality. How do you do that by the side of the road?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 12:38:21 PM »
PH , no such thing as 100 % insurance against flats . Right now you are spooked due to having 2 flats in close succession , but chances are you can ride another 50K miles and not have another flat . That said , I think Lannis has been running tube type slime as a precaution with success . It will somewhat increase unsprung weight , and maybe even degrade ride quality a bit . Everything is a trade off .

Dusty

I'll admit, I'm a slime-y guy ... I just don't see any downside to Slime in a tubed tire.  First of all, you use about a pint per tire, which weighs about 1 pound.   Different tubes alone vary that much in weight, let alone tires, so I don't think that the unsprung weight deal is much of an issue, considered how much SPRUNG weight any motorcycle with the job of hauling me about is carrying. It stays liquid, so it doesn't knock the tire out of balance.   It doesn't contact the rim because it's inside the tube  I've never had a flat tire on a Slimed tube tire.   That doesn't mean they haven't been pierced, but they didn't lose air.   And I've had the same Slime in tubes I've re-used on Britbikes for years and years.

I sometimes use it in tubeless tires, especially before a long trip when I know that I'm going to use up the tire within 4 months or so.   It IS a mess when I change the tire; if it's me changing it, I just deal with it.   If it's the shop doing it, I warn them before hand and sometimes they don't charge any extra and sometimes they charge $5 or $10 extra for cleanup.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, says I.   I changed one tire on the road in 1978,  found one flat on my Centauro in my shed the next day after a ride (tubeless, non-Slimed), and other than that have had no flats.    One-up, geared-up, the base load is 275 pounds - two-up for a trip - 425+ pound payload, and I run my tires till the tread is gone.  

Comparing my on-the-road flat tire experience with that of others on the list, I'm planning to continue to dance with who brung me .....  ;-T

Lannis

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:10:03 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 12:40:22 PM »
From the slime website on slime for tubes
Note is says NOT TO BE USED ON SNAKE BITES.   :D 8 :'(
http://slime.com/210/products/16-oz-tube-sealant-with-hang-tag-10056ht/
"The inner tube formulation should not be used in a tubeless tire. Slime sealants are designed to treat tread area punctures only and should not be used to repair sidewall punctures, snake bites, rim spoke punctures or gashes from metal or glass".
Red 90 Mille GT

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 12:41:22 PM »
How, realistically, do you change a rear flat on an 800-pound FLSTC with bags that don't come off? That's my reality. How do you do that by the side of the road?

Well , that is the problem  . Look , not trying to be a smart a$$ , but if you choose to ride an 800 lb bagger with tube tires , you must accept that self imposed problem . Slime , or one of the other tire sealants might help , but there is no magic dust . Flip side . I once assisted a fella repair a flat on an older RK on the side of the road , so it can be done .

Dusty

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 12:49:42 PM »
I'm not looking for magic dust. Just the best solution.

The latest flat started at some point during a ride of over 100 miles. For part of that ride, I was on the Card Sound toll road, which is nearly empty. There is no real shoulder. There are no cops. There are no call boxes. It was pitch black; there are almost no lights. The bugs there will almost pick you up and carry you off; the misery of being caught in a cloud of them would be nearly unbearable. If I had gotten stuck out there with no alternatives except roadside service and magically conjuring up a friend to help me remove the bags and tire, I would have been in a real mess.

This is why I posted the thread. I was hoping that Slime was a good emergency measure to get me closer to civilization.

It sounds like I should use it and look into some compact means of adding air. I signed up for the AMA, but I would prefer riding to towing, if possible.

I appreciate the responses.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 12:53:31 PM »
the best solution is modify the rims and go tubeless.

;-T
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 12:55:05 PM »
if you are concerned about flats on your touring bike, for gods sake, get tubeless tires. half the time you will not know you have a nail until you see it. other times they will slowly deflate. carry a plug kit and means to inflate. no laying the bike on its side, no getting terribly filthy, no long delays or tows. If you must have wire wheels, then look into one of the many methods for making them tubeless if they are not.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »
the best solution is modify the rims and go tubeless.

;-T

Yeah , or simply replace the tube type rims with HD tubeless wheels .

Dusty

Offline threebrits

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
I just had a flat 3 months ago.  Drywall screw in the rear tire.  I slimed it and it's been holding air since.  These are tubed tires and I went ahead and slimed the front tire while I was at it.  Curious thing is that I've never had to add air to either tire after that, and it was much warmer then.  There is also another similar product called Ride-On I think.  Both products claim they will fill a hole up to 1/4 inch in diameter for tubeless and 1/8 inch for tubed tires.  I think it is good for the more common punctures like drywall screws and roofing nails.  The downside I suppose is that you might not ever notice the puncture if it self seals and riding on something like a screw may do more damage to the tire over time.
Todd

2013 V7R

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 01:09:04 PM »
I put Slime in my rear tubeless tire on my Aprilia maxi-scooter because it had a small leak and just for safetys sake on a long ride.  Later found out the slow leak was the valve stem.   When you put Slime in your tube/rim be sure you don't leave any in the valve stem as it will stop your Schrader valve from working properly.  I use Qtips for that.  ;)  2 years later I replaced the tire and found the slime had pretty much disappeared and was on the painted rim and had not hurt the mag rim at all.  When the Slime is active it also acts as a balancer in the tire.  :)  I don't get many flats because I'm very careful where my bike/scooter wheels go. My son Matt got a lot of flats because he wasn't careful.  Just sayin'.  I carry Slime and an air compressor with me on trips and also have AMA towing as a last resort.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:11:41 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 01:14:58 PM »
I just changed the tires on the CX and I add Slime as a precaution and it seems to work. In this last case I pinched the tube (tire wouldn't seat) and had to replace it but that was pretty instant and certainly wouldn't have helped given the size of that rip.   I probably should modify those rims for tubeless.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 01:17:21 PM »
if you are concerned about flats on your touring bike, for gods sake, get tubeless tires. half the time you will not know you have a nail until you see it. other times they will slowly deflate. carry a plug kit and means to inflate. no laying the bike on its side, no getting terribly filthy, no long delays or tows. If you must have wire wheels, then look into one of the many methods for making them tubeless if they are not.

:+1
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »
You might take a look at a product called Ride-On.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 01:37:28 PM »
How do these products, Slime / Ride On hold up to sitting in storage, especially in winters? Will they become a block of goo or do they maintain their same properties?
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

dilligaf

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 01:58:33 PM »
When I purchased my Miata I asked the salesman about a spare tire. The spare proved by Mazda is a bottle of slime and a air compressor all contained in a nice little kit stored in the trunk.   :BEER:
Matt

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 02:18:07 PM »
 When I had my KLR 650 I kept a bottle of slime in the top case. One day after doing 50 miles of back dirt and long unused roads in Ct.(believe it or not it can be done) the bottle open up in the case and covered everything in there, maps ,gloves snacks in slime. After that happen the case never leaked!
 The only time I really needed it was when I picked up a nail which tore the tube, nothing would have worked for that.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 07:30:54 PM »
The only time I really needed it was when I picked up a nail which tore the tube, nothing would have worked for that.

No no no. I heard on the internit that someone used it and didn't have a flat. That proves it always works.

:bow

Doesn't it?

:BEER:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 07:39:06 PM »
No no no. I heard on the internit that someone used it and didn't have a flat. That proves it always works.

:bow

Doesn't it?

:BEER:

Oh, don't be silly.  :BEER:   Nobody's claiming that it "always works".   Obviously, damage to the tire that results in a long slash in the tube wouldn't seal up, just like a slash in a tubeless tire caused by a big piece of metal wouldn't be pluggable on the roadside, either.   That doesn't mean that tire plugs are useless and don't work.   

Seems to be almost a religious fervor against the stuff.   Me, I use it where it seems to make sense for insurance, and don't use it where it's more trouble than it's worth.   

The only fact I know is that I get about 1 flat tire about every 200,000 miles.   Maybe I'm just a statistical anomaly, who knows?   Personally, I don't bet that way.

Lannis

"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 07:46:12 AM »
I wonder what would happen if you used "Ride On", then once that's layered, then add "Slime" - Probably creates a Caustic Explosion, or.. or... maybe makes an indestructible tire  :P
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here