General Category > General Discussion

Didn't want to hijack 'warbirds again' thread, but here's more v12 rr & Allisons

(1/2) > >>

ohiorider:
To me, these engines, re-purposed for unlimited hydroplane racing. sound as brutal, maybe more so, than in an airplane.  Found this old race film  from over 60 years ago on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjcedg8PH-U

Even more interesting in that Lou Fageol, who won this race, was from Kent, Ohio.  The NE Ohio Guzzi riders hold their monthly breakfast at Mike's Place in Kent, and there's an old engine that powered a Consolidated city bus in front of the place, built by a company owned by the Fageols.  There's even an old Consolidated bus attached to Mike's that can be rented (as a place to eat, not ride.)

I cannot even imagine the thrill of sitting behind a Rolls Royce or Allison V-12 in one of these unlimited hydroplanes from the 1950s and 60s.  It had to be (fill in the blank)

Bob

charlie b:
They raced one year at Lake Pleasant outside Phoenix and dad took me and my brother (1963?). I remembered sitting about 1/4 mile away on a bluff overlooking the lake.  We could feel the ground shake under us when they were running on our side.  And watching the tell tale smoke from the exhausts when they would hit the nitrous at the end of each corner.

Chuck in Indiana:

--- Quote ---(fill in the blank)
--- End quote ---

Scary..  ;D

Penderic:
Speed Boats got so much power nowadays - they don't need to float! (much)  :P

I am amazing at those Hi powered snowmobiles see how far out in open water they can get before sinking! Fun.  ;D

Xlratr:
The Merlin is a wonderful engine. Many years ago I was in the garden when a Lancaster flew directly over the house. It was participating in a local air show and the sound was incredible. Goose bumps is right.

But this is a nice engine too, although I guess I'll never hear one running. I saw it at the BMW museum last week in Munich. I have to say, it's a work of art too!

The BMW 801 double radial, 14 cylinders, 41.8 litre, 2000 HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version