Author Topic: Meet Stella aka Project Boat Anchor ;-)  (Read 10706 times)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Meet Stella aka Project Boat Anchor ;-)
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 09:40:36 PM »
As I recall Mark @ Moto Guzzi Classics in Calif. put a 1100 motor in a loop frame Eldo not too many years ago and had to lengthen the motor frame part to make it fit, which led to a clearance issue of the front fender.  :D   Might want to give him a call.

If you retain the Tonti timing cover and crank mounted alternator, there can be clearance issues with the front fender.  If you change to the Loop timing cover, the engine/trans unit bolts right in with no brackets needed, no frame lengthening and no clearance issues.  

Since jfree is using a Convert engine, a replacement timing cover without a fluid pump will be needed anyway (unless he's building an Eldovert  ;) ).

Gratuitous Convert powered Ambassador shot:

Charlie

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2015, 10:01:01 PM »
I want a Decopod!

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2015, 10:06:34 PM »
That picture is blatant pandering.   ;-T

He could use the Vert cover -- just pull the pump stuff and plug the two top spigots.  The pressure relief plug can stay.  The camshaft is drilled for the ATF drive, but it's a blind hole and won't affect the build.

Or I have an EV cover I'd swap for a Convert one.  They interchange.

The downside I see with doing the loop timing cover is that then you have to drill the case for the generator brackets, pre-emptively account for the bracket breaking, and still have a fairly low output generator perched up there when you're done -- unless someone's got a belt drive alternator solution.  The bosch system, although better than the generator, isn't a lot better compared to the ducati type in 1100.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 10:55:33 PM »

The downside I see with doing the loop timing cover is that then you have to drill the case for the generator brackets, pre-emptively account for the bracket breaking, and still have a fairly low output generator perched up there when you're done -- unless someone's got a belt drive alternator solution.  The bosch system, although better than the generator, isn't a lot better compared to the ducati type in 1100.

"Low output" is relative - the 300 watt generator was better than the crank mounted alternator (180, 220 and finally 280 watt IIRC?) up until the Ducati permanent magnet type came into use.

Kevin Hahn (Hahnda here) offers a tidy belt driven alternator that puts out 540 watts IIRC. http://www.scramblercycle.com/alt-conversion.html

Drilling the case is for a generator bracket is no biggie. With a few simple preventative measures, the generator bracket breaking is greatly minimized, if not eliminated.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 10:55:33 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2015, 11:33:35 PM »
That 540w would make it worthwhile.

jfree

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 11:34:55 PM »
The Decopod is up for auction today(Sunday). It belongs to Rik Smits. I think it's one of a half dozen or so made. Based on a scooter frame.

I was told I could scrap the front of the convert motor and use my existing Eldo motor timing cover.  I want a lighter flywheel. I want a C5 ignition. I want the best most modern charging system. Greg Bender helped with the wiring on my T. He's helping on this project as well. This bike will look its age but run like a champ.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 12:07:36 AM »
If you go to Jay Leno's garage you can see a guy who converted 2 Piaggio MP3 scooters with this Decopod aluminum body.   The guy made it sound like he crafted the bodies from scratch.  ???

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2015, 12:12:35 AM »
I read up on it.  He's got 6 versions for 6 different scooters -- Piaggio featured.

http://www.randygrubb.com/decopod-tri-pod/

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »
I was told I could scrap the front of the convert motor and use my existing Eldo motor timing cover.  I want a lighter flywheel. I want a C5 ignition. I want the best most modern charging system. Greg Bender helped with the wiring on my T. He's helping on this project as well. This bike will look its age but run like a champ.

As I posted earlier, that's the way I'd go - Eldo timing cover, crank adapter, drill and tap the case for a Scrambler Cycle alternator kit bracket. At 540 watts of dependable power, that qualifies for the "best most modern charging system" IMO.

If the Eldo timing cover is from an engine with timing gears (vs. timing chain) you'll need to grind away some ribs inside for clearance. Otherwise it bolts right on. Mark @ Moto Guzzi Classics (guzzi-renew) has the crank adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTO-GUZZI-CRANK-ADAPTER-/221304087915?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3386c0656b

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:02:33 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here