General Category > General Discussion

Rear drive leak

(1/3) > >>

Scout63:
I rebuilt my G5 rear drive last year with all new oil seals and gaskets, keeping the same shim.  Recently, it leaked the fluid out the bottom.  I took it apart, and everything looks fine.  It looks as if the leak is from the bottom of the inner large oil ring.  I didn’t use any gasket sealer on the outer paper shim gasket.  Should I have?  Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks,  Ben

n3303j:
You did replace the hidden seal?

blackcat:
I may have used a gasket sealer like Yamabond on that gasket when I went down the same road, my problem turned out to be the hub which I had to replace. Did you clean up the shoulder with a green scotch bright when you installed the small and large seals?

I don't know the history of the final drive from my LeMans but I assume that when the bike was taken apart it sat backside down on the ground or garage for a long time because the bike didn't have many miles on it when it came into my hands. Funny thing was that when I originally put it back together it didn't leak until it got hot outside, then about two seals later I realized the problem.

guzzisteve:
I use professional black silicone on outer edge of back plate. If you use anything like a gasket sealer you will not be able to remove cover. Paper gaskets get wet w/water.

Scout63:
I did replace the inner seal and the bearings. The rear drive shoulder is pitted but not nearly as bad as Blackcats. The bike sat for 35 years so the pinion plate is corroded on one half. I dressed the shoulder the best I could. The new Viton large seal still looks fine. I'll reassemble and start looking for a good rear drive. Thanks everyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version