Author Topic: 850T Fork Dampener Renewal Signs?  (Read 472 times)

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
850T Fork Dampener Renewal Signs?
« on: January 28, 2020, 10:18:33 PM »
Rebuilding forks on my 850T. Both dampeners act and feel the same. How do you know if they need replacing? When collapsing the dampeners (no spring) they both had very little resistance to start but got pretty stiff pretty quickly. Forks acted ok on the bike, just time to clean and check them. I am trying not give my wife a stroke cause my MG Cycle cart is already just over $400.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
Re: 850T Fork Dampener Renewal Signs?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 06:29:33 AM »
When rebuilding old tonti forks with the screen door dampers, I prefer used to new. That said, the dampers need to not leak oil while still having oil in them. They need to have no dead spots and have smooth action up and down their entire length. If they meet those criteria, I do not care how "weak" they feel. In my experience, new dampers have too much damping. Every time I use them, I regret it because the front end becomes harsh. I'm more than willling to use one used and one new if necessary. YMMV, and I realize I might be in the minority, but front end compliance is very important to me.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: 850T Fork Dampener Renewal Signs?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 08:45:42 AM »
If they're not leaking, it's possible to drain and refill the original dampers.
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here