Author Topic: Is Idling OK in cold weather?  (Read 1303 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Is Idling OK in cold weather?
« on: December 13, 2018, 10:18:30 AM »
Winter and cold weather are here in PA for the next 3 months. I keep my 12S on a trickle charger all winter so it starts up when we have a warm snap and I can ride.

When we get deep into snow and cold in January and February and I can't ride it, is it better to just let it sit on the trickle charger OR start it up once a week and let it idle for 5-10 minutes?

Any thoughts...
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Is Idling OK in cold weather?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:21:34 AM »
Only start it up if you are prepared to ride 20 miles or so to get the engine up to 60C otherwise don't bother.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 10:22:17 AM »
No.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 10:37:11 AM »
Let it sit. In fact remove the battery and bring it into the house/basement/shop. One it help the battery last longer and also no matter how tempted you are to hear the motor roar to life it can't.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 10:37:11 AM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 10:42:50 AM »
The oil film on engine parts will still be there come spring. I only have to ride 10mi cause it's warmer here, still enough if you have to get the edge off from not riding.
Mine all have a 34ah  UPS battery, so I don't need anything, they just start.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 10:46:47 AM »
Only start it up if you are prepared to ride 20 miles or so to get the engine up to 60C otherwise don't bother.

This. For a lot of reasons, like acid build up in the engine and condensation in the exhaust that won't get hot enough to evaporate it out.

Adding to what Perazzimx14 said - don't leave the battery on the trickle charger permanently. I know, they're supposed to be smarter lately, but I don't trust them. And batteries these days hold a charge a very long time. Like years. So maybe put it on the charger once a month for a few hours if you want. A lot of times, if the bike will sit a while, I'll disconnect the negative battery lead (leaving the battery in the bike) just to ensure there's no parasitic drain.

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 11:00:39 AM »

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unless you WANT to collect moisture in the exhaust and oil. And you WANT to rinse the cylinders down with cold condensed fuel.
So yah, if you want to damage things, go for it.

If you want to preserve it better, keep it dry and put the battery on a good charger about once a month.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 11:10:19 AM »
All sound like good advice! I will take it. THANKS MUCH!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 01:20:10 PM »
As I understand it, modern lead acid batteries do best when they're electrically pulsed now and then to forestall sulfation. I put a 2 amp charge on each battery for a few hours once a month over the winter and that seems to work well. You could probably do the same thing with a trickle charger on a timer to pop on for an hour a day. If anyone can offer a better-informed solution I'm open to be educated.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 01:31:54 PM »
Hear in NC I'm usually able to take at least a 30-40 minute ride at least once a week or every other week at least. This alone keeps the battery charged and in good shape. I normally get around 5 years per battery.

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »
As I understand it, modern lead acid batteries do best when they're electrically pulsed now and then to forestall sulfation. I put a 2 amp charge on each battery for a few hours once a month over the winter and that seems to work well. You could probably do the same thing with a trickle charger on a timer to pop on for an hour a day. If anyone can offer a better-informed solution I'm open to be educated.

I use a thing called a BatteryMinder. It claims for reduce sulfation. I rotate it around the garage on various batteries. I can't say it really works, but my original EV battery lasted 11 years. As did my car battery.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 04:39:26 PM »
I do as Wayne has explained. My bikes, tractors, scooter, and 4-wheeler have CTEK pigtails and all get a periodic fillup with the charger. My batteries hold up remarkably well with the last two bike batteries lasting 9 and 11 years. My CTEK charger does have an anti-sulphation step in the “smart” charging protocol. Since batteries “age” by slowly dissolving the plates, the eventual sediment buildup shorts out the plates well before they are nearly depleted. Anything that retards sulphation is almost sure to improve life.

The other thing that will make your battery last longer is a dry storage area that remains a consistent temperature. Batteries suffer in extreme temps...hot or cold. I have a temperature/humidity controlled shop that I use to store my bikes...it makes a difference.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here