Author Topic: 96 sport front fork leak  (Read 1248 times)

Offline TFinch1990

• New Egg
96 sport front fork leak
« on: March 25, 2019, 01:29:25 PM »
So after riding the sport for two weekends I found that the left side setting on the bike fork is leaking from around the dust cover I looked on MG cycle and emailed them about getting a rebuild kit they told me they do not offer one the forks have been rebuilt with new springs a year ago I need help on what I need to order so I can have the leak fixed any help is greatly appreciated
96 sport 1100
04 Aprilia Futura
2012  Norge

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 96 sport front fork leak
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 02:02:47 PM »
I would just replace the seals, and maybe add fork boots/covers.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 02:18:35 PM »
Weird. I looked on MGC, and didn't find any fork seals listed.. they are a pretty common fork, and were used on Ducatis, too. Looking in a spare parts book for the part number and googling that should bring up someone that has them.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline TFinch1990

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 02:28:26 PM »
Thank you very much chuck I'm wondering now if replacing that seal is something I can do or will it take special tools
96 sport 1100
04 Aprilia Futura
2012  Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 02:28:26 PM »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:47:07 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 06:51:36 PM »
Thank you very much chuck I'm wondering now if replacing that seal is something I can do or will it take special tools

Duh, I scrolled right past the seals and wipers that Charlie posted. Nothin to it. Get a seal hook like this..

It'll be pretty obvious how it works. Just hook the bottom of the seal and lever it out. The only issue is making sure you don't gouge the seal surface with the hook.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »
   I actually just replaced the fork seals in my 96 sport just a couple of weeks ago. It's a little tricky, but basic tools will get the job done. An impact wrench helps to get the allen bolt out of the bottom. Remove the nut under the compression knob before unscrewing the fork cap. Don't over-tighten it when you put it back together. If you do, the adjustment knob will be too hard to turn. I just used screw drivers to remove the old seal. BE CAREFUL! There is a snap ring above the seal and it's hard to see. And it's kind of hard to remove. A couple of thin screw drivers got mine out. There is a washer under the seal, basically a seat for the seal. DON'T break it. I did, and was fortunate enough to find a replacement. As far as I know, there is only one spare washer left in the country. It's called a fork cup. Each fork takes 360 cc's of 10wt fork oil.

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 02:15:57 PM »
   I actually just replaced the fork seals in my 96 sport just a couple of weeks ago. It's a little tricky, but basic tools will get the job done. An impact wrench helps to get the allen bolt out of the bottom. Remove the nut under the compression knob before unscrewing the fork cap. Don't over-tighten it when you put it back together. If you do, the adjustment knob will be too hard to turn. I just used screw drivers to remove the old seal. BE CAREFUL! There is a snap ring above the seal and it's hard to see. And it's kind of hard to remove. A couple of thin screw drivers got mine out. There is a washer under the seal, basically a seat for the seal. DON'T break it. I did, and was fortunate enough to find a replacement. As far as I know, there is only one spare washer left in the country. It's called a fork cup. Each fork takes 360 cc's of 10wt fork oil.

Did mine over Christmas, no big deal. 3-4 beer job.
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here