Author Topic: Moto Guzzi Astore/Astorino/Airone Engine?  (Read 540 times)

Offline Erminio17

• New Egg
Moto Guzzi Astore/Astorino/Airone Engine?
« on: August 10, 2022, 05:19:26 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have several questions regarding a Moto Guzzi I got recently 'partially' restored.
The bike was repainted about 15 years ago (sadly) and parts went missing, for ~15 years the bike did not drive, parts got stuck such as the clutch/gearbox- this was recently fixed and the bike did run again (see video).

I hope you could help me with the following:

1. What Moto Guzzi is this, seems like an odd question but my grandfather got the bike from Italy ~30 years ago in parts, the registration which was done in The Netherlands lists an Airone but I think the frame could be a Astore with a 250cc Airone engine- what do you think?

2. The bike after the engine/gearbox restore did run for about an hour, after that the bike was unable to start due to not having a spark, I suppose the Magneti Marelli MCR4 stopped working. Unfortunately the not trustworthy mechanic in the North of Italy (Friuli region) was unwilling to spend any more time on the bike which left me with yet again a non-working Guzzi. The bike is currently in Austria at a mechanic that believes the MCR4 is broken, but I have little trust in this mechanic as well.

3. Would anyone know any true experts living in Austria or the North of Italy (Friuli/Veneto region) who could finish the bike to a 'reliable' condition?

4. I could use a restoration or replacement for the Magneti Marelli MCR4 if anyone knows a reliable source- please let me know

Thank you all for reading and helping!

Link to video: https://youtu.be/ekXgYbVw8YA

picload org

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 05:20:32 AM by Erminio17 »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Moto Guzzi Astore/Astorino/Airone Engine?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 12:45:52 PM »
Looks like a '48 Astore to me. '47 was the first year for the hydraulic rear shocks and '48 the first year for the enclosed valve gear. The tank should have chrome sides though.
Charlie

Offline 5154guzzi

• Gosling
    • Team Subtle Crowbar
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 01:36:30 PM »
 The frame is definitely from a 250,   the motor and flywheel look like a 250, best guess is it`s an Astorino.

Bill

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 01:54:48 PM »
The 250 Airone was made in several variations over the years.  In one version they tested with the vertical hydraulic shock absorbers.  Since the larger 500 Astore was the primary user of the vertical shocks, the smaller 250 was often casually named as Astorino.  That name was never official from Guzzi.  So, for documentary reasons, you do have a 250 Airone as registered.

I recommend that you join us at the Guzzi-Singles discussion forum on Google Groups.  I'm an administrator so let me know if you have trouble finding or joining.

I know of several Guzzi vintage restorers in the Veneto region.  See your PM messages.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 01:54:48 PM »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here