Author Topic: Free Stelvio !  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Free Stelvio !
« on: August 19, 2017, 10:55:03 AM »
I could not find that free Stelvio post. Did it get picked up?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:55:41 AM by Huzo »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Free Stelvio !
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 11:20:25 AM »
It was in the classifieds
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »
Gone ?

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 03:52:16 PM »
Gone ?

I picked it up but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.  Fix it or part it out?   All the bodywork and tank are gone and the left fork tube is bent.  The frame looks good and motor and trans and final look good.  Right valve cover is scraped but the crash bars did their job keeping most of the bike undamaged.  The wheels are in great shape and not damaged.
     I will probably pull a rocker box off this week to see what kind of shape the flat tappers are in then drop the pan and have a look.  The owner says it was running great when he hit the deer so I have my fingers crossed.  My first thought if the flat tappers were not bad was to do the roller conversion and make a sportster out of it.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 03:52:16 PM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 10:27:39 PM »
I picked it up but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.  Fix it or part it out?   All the bodywork and tank are gone and the left fork tube is bent.  The frame looks good and motor and trans and final look good.  Right valve cover is scraped but the crash bars did their job keeping most of the bike undamaged.  The wheels are in great shape and not damaged.
     I will probably pull a rocker box off this week to see what kind of shape the flat tappers are in then drop the pan and have a look.  The owner says it was running great when he hit the deer so I have my fingers crossed.  My first thought if the flat tappers were not bad was to do the roller conversion and make a sportster out of it.  Any suggestions are appreciated.
I'd like to see if I could get an 8V in my 4V Norge.

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 10:45:24 PM »
Snippety doo dah. and make a sportster out of it.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Well , my first suggestion might be that making a Sportster out of it is gonna be hard  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »
Well , my first suggestion might be that making a Sportster out of it is gonna be hard  :shocked:

Dusty

Actually when you see it stripped down, it looks to me like it might not be that hard to make a sportster out of it as opposed to restoring it.  Bot it all depends on what condition the flat tappets are in.  Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 12:16:28 PM »
 Uh , oh never mind , it wasn't all that funny anyway  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 12:20:28 PM »
I'd sell the fork lowers to folks who need them (and they do) and look for a better front end.

I'm always skeptical of an engine coming out of a bike that had it as a stressed member of the frame.  There's too much potential for hidden damage to suit me.

Offline troyhamilton

• Gaggle Hero
  • Dr frankie
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »
glad ya got it ya lucky dog, have fun doing your build!
Dr Frankie!
1967 v7, gone
heldorado, gone
1975 850-t gone
1974 850-t gone.
2002 Jackal!
we need a tech section!

pete roper

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 05:04:27 PM »
The flat tappets will be trash, even if you can't detect any damage they're trash. They all fail. There is no point in doing anything with the rest of the bike if you don't rollerise the motor.

IMHO a Stelvio isn't the best platform to use to build a 'Sportster'.

Pete

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 05:17:05 PM »
The flat tappets will be trash, even if you can't detect any damage they're trash. They all fail. There is no point in doing anything with the rest of the bike if you don't rollerise the motor.

IMHO a Stelvio isn't the best platform to use to build a 'Sportster'.

Pete

Absolutely agree Pete.  I would not consider doing otherwise. I see AF1 has the C kit in stock.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 05:28:21 PM by groundhog105 »

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 05:26:42 PM »
I'd sell the fork lowers to folks who need them (and they do) and look for a better front end.

I'm always skeptical of an engine coming out of a bike that had it as a stressed member of the frame.  There's too much potential for hidden damage to suit me.

I would agree if the object had been another vehicle, but being that it was a deer and the forks took the impact son the initial hit and the crash bars did their job after that it may be ok.  There was absolutely no evidence of stress or damage to the frame or motor that I can see.  Maybe wishful thinking on my part.  If the flat tappets just have minor wear and the bottom end looks good then I may have a frame shop check it with their laser system.   If the flat tappets look really bad like some of the pictures that Pete Roper has posted then the whole project is just not worthwhile and I will part out the bike.  It's all up in the air right now.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 11:58:49 PM »
I don't know if I'm missing something that's there, or seeing something thing that isn't. But isn't it a bit rude to pick up the offer from heaven, then even think about SELLING ! the parts to the Guzzi community?, even if you only ask for what it "owes" you. In this case 3/5th's of 5/8th's of bugger all.

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 09:41:36 AM »
I don't know if I'm missing something that's there, or seeing something thing that isn't. But isn't it a bit rude to pick up the offer from heaven, then even think about SELLING ! the parts to the Guzzi community?, even if you only ask for what it "owes" you. In this case 3/5th's of 5/8th's of bugger all.

Well then,  I will give it to you. All you have to do is ship it over and take the time to part it out and give the parts away.  :popcorn:  :weiner:

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »
I was going to pick up the bike and see about making it road-worthy somehow - or sell off the parts. Similar to Groundhog's approach. But I have too many other projects right now. There's a fair amount of time and hassle involved in parting out a bike - not to mention parts storage.

My intention was to keep track of what I spent and sold - then to share some of the proceeds with the donor and make a donation to this site.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 12:54:02 PM »
I was going to pick up the bike and see about making it road-worthy somehow - or sell off the parts. Similar to Groundhog's approach. But I have too many other projects right now. There's a fair amount of time and hassle involved in parting out a bike - not to mention parts storage.

My intention was to keep track of what I spent and sold - then to share some of the proceeds with the donor and make a donation to this site.

I like that approach.  I'm still hoping to make it into something usable. 

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 05:50:30 AM »
Well then,  I will give it to you. All you have to do is ship it over and take the time to part it out and give the parts away.  :popcorn:  :weiner:
You're bluffing, and you and I know that's not what I mean. Tell ya what, if ONE person tells me I'm wrong I'll apologise, and I'll bet my flat tappers that if I turned up at you door with a "pick up", you wouldn't hand it over..Unless of course you've bitten off more than you can chew or just took it 'cos it was there. If l'd taken advantage of someone's generosity, I wouldn't then try to profit from it.
Why would you try to sell parts, and then offer to give it away when you know that I'm not the one who'll call you on it. Is that unfair?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:51:22 AM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 05:55:17 AM »

That's what I'm talking about Scud. Any profit could go to the forum or a dinner for Luap and his Lady. That'd work for me...

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 08:11:06 AM »
That's what I'm talking about Scud. Any profit could go to the forum or a dinner for Luap and his Lady. That'd work for me...

If I had picked up this Stelvio, I would have first tried to make it useful (as Groundhog will do). But if it turned into a part-out, I would have kept some "profit" for myself too. It's one way that I can keep some play money in a separate account - outside the family funds. If I think about it from an hourly wage perspective, I probably make as much as a kid flipping hamburgers on my various mechanical "opportunities" - but I enjoy it and it's way better than watching TV at night. It's quite a lot of work to part out a bike. I've done it three times and now I have piles of BMW-shit that nobody wants - and that's after a recent trip to the metal scrap yard to recycle the large parts.

My first one was a dead R1100RT that I bought to fix as a beater-commuter - then decided it wasn't worth spending more on. I quickly sold the Corbin seat, saddlebags and front wheel and got all my money back. Then I "earned" a couple thousand dollars on it, but I grossly underestimated the time involved. Stripping the bike was the easy part, and that took an entire weekend. There's a lot of time in taking pics of everything, trying to set prices, posting ads, dealing with all sorts of questions like "Can the ABS be adapted to fit my Zundapp?" (nobody actually asked that, but you get the idea.)

And I bought a nearly dead 1990 K75s that was the same color as my 1992 K75s. I "merged" the two bikes and sold some stuff. I got a lot of upgrades for my "keeper" bike and retained many good parts as future spares. Not a big market for used K75s parts... so I am stuck with stuff, which I will probably dump when (if) I declare my K75 to be "done."

I bought a crashed V11 LeMans - much worse than this Stelvio crash. Primary motivator for me was a complete clutch and flywheel assembly (when I was worried about my original Scura clutch). The frame was twisted and the whole front end was destroyed - even the steering stem was bent. I've used many spare parts in other projects, and sold enough to get my money back and a bit more. I like having some Guzzi parts in reserve.

Anyway, with each of those part-outs, I offered stuff to forum members at what I believed to be slightly below-market prices - and made some forum donations from the proceeds. BTW - one of the nice surprises from stripping a few bikes is creating a big reserve of high-quality metric fasteners, spacers, and other specialty bits.

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with taking something for free (which can be a real help to person who needs space or mobility) and selling the bits. In my experience, trying to sell the parts turns into a borderline charity function anyway - at least once the few "big-ticket" items are sold. It's really quite fun to see a post where somebody needs something small that is expensive or unavailable from a dealer - and to be able to say "I've got one of those for cheap." Then see them get their bike back on the road.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »
Well there's the one response that I asked for.  Sorry I tried to apply my standards to you Groundhog. My mistake! (and my apology).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:21:26 PM by Huzo »

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 09:59:27 AM »
"Free bike" is a lot like a "free puppy"; there is no such thing. The recipient is just assuming future cost(s)!!!!!

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
I get what you're saying and all,  but as it concerns this board and it's members, it seems a safe bet to "assume good will". (My wife uses this one on me a lot :boozing:)
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »
 What , Rocker and I don't even rate a hot dog outta the deal ? Thanks a lot Peter  :sad: 

Fellas , whatever Groundhog decides to do is really OK , maybe we need to put our egos away . Thanks .

Dusty

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 12:03:23 PM »
"Free bike" is a lot like a "free puppy"; there is no such thing. The recipient is just assuming future cost(s)!!!!!

So true. When I bought the dead K75s I mentioned above, the owner confided that he feared he was going to have to pay someone else to haul it away. He was on the verge  of posting a "free" ad. But I paid him $300 anyway.

I agree with assuming positive intent. Whenever I see misunderstandings on this board I imagine that the disagreeing parties would get along fine if it was an in-person conversation.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »
What , Rocker and I don't even rate a hot dog outta the deal ? Thanks a lot Peter  :sad: 

Fellas , whatever Groundhog decides to do is really OK , maybe we need to put our egos away . Thanks .

Dusty
Yeah.... Righto Dusty.

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »
Well there's the one response that I asked for.  Sorry I tried to apply my standards to you Groundhog. My mistake! (and my apology).

No worries Huzo
      Actually if you showed up at my door I would give it to you. As I price parts to even maybe get it running I'm looking at several thousand dollars and more, on top of it being salvaged with no title and having to go thru that process.   I'm still planning on getting into one head this week to see what condition the flat tappets are in and decide if the roller kit is even doeable.  I'm not near the mechanic most of you guys are.  I can tear shit apart but getting it back together properly is another matter.

pete roper

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »
Pulling a cambox ox no big deal. Just look at the vid I did of doing the left one on a Griso. Same deal on the Stelvio to get the left one off, right one is a bit more of an embuggerance.

Pete

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 05:53:25 PM »
Pulling a cambox ox no big deal. Just look at the vid I did of doing the left one on a Griso. Same deal on the Stelvio to get the left one off, right one is a bit more of an embuggerance.

Pete

Thanks Pete
     I watched that one on u tube.  I planned on following that one when I did it. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here