Author Topic: Headed to Italy in March  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
Headed to Italy in March
« on: January 19, 2022, 12:13:56 PM »
Visiting Italy for a week in March. Flying in to Rome and going to see Florence and Venice as well. Anyone have good recommendations in this area of local foods or restaurants? Just figure I’d ask. Thanks in advance.

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
Re: Headed to Italy in March
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 01:10:56 PM »
That’s an impossible request. The food in Italy is fabulous wherever you go. Try everything.
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 01:59:46 PM »
Just sample the sidewalk fare.  Got my best pizza that way.  Look for delis and the best sandwiches.

Make sure you get at least a couple of meals of Spaghetti Carbonara.  Look for anything that has fresh fish or veggies and go with what the restaurant is known for.   Find some seafood, get the specialty, and also look for Cioppino.

Grab an Aperol Spritz in St Mark's Square.  Stay around and listen to the jazz and chamber music.  Go to an opera.  Vatican and Coliseum,  David in Florence.

If you get hungry for a burger or steak, or want ice in your drink, go to an American restaurant  (Hard Rock, 5 Guys, McDonalds, etc.).   The Italian food is great but they can't fix American food (but in a week's time you may not get the craving. Over four weeks we did twice and failed twice).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 02:02:13 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online hzbloke

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 04:13:11 PM »
Do a tiny bit of homework and find out what the local dishes are. Seek them out. The best pizza is often in the places where you stand up to eat it. If you have time book a  private, walking food tour. If a restaurant has a sign 'Menu Turistico' walk briskly in the opposite direction. Try and find restaurants that are part of the Slow Food movement (logo is a red snail). It guarantees regional food and local, seasonal ingredients.

Pay for a guided tour of the Vatican. Don't pay to see Michelangelo's David. There's an exact replica standing in the square on the spot where the original was made for.
2019 Kawasaki Z900rs
2008 Breva 750
1986 BMW R65

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 04:13:11 PM »

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 04:51:06 PM »
Thanks for the red snail tip. I’m really looking forward to this.

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 05:47:43 PM »
I agree with not paying to see the David. I was in Florence in October and the line to see him inside the Galleria dell‘Accademia was over four hours long. It’s a waste of precious time IMO. The replica is on outdoor display at the Piazza della Signoria, along with many other interesting and significant works of art.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 05:52:40 PM by LongRanger »
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 05:55:45 PM »
I was born and raised in Italy, and, to me, the best food is served at "Trattorias".
Look for Trattoria signs outside. These are small, family operated kitchens with a few tables where local workers, rather than tourists go have lunch. The food is typically homemade, delicious, and quite cheap (Guzzi content!).
Side dishes and veggies are usually displayed in glass enclosed cabinets near the entrance, in small quantities, and the menu' of the day with prices, is usually posted on a board written by hand, while first courses (pasta, soups) and meat/fish dishes are prepared after you order.
In the largest cities, English is usually no problem, in smaller cities you can get by with a word or two, if language is an issue.

Enjoy your trip!
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 06:25:47 PM »
Visiting Italy for a week in March. Flying in to Rome and going to see Florence and Venice as well. Anyone have good recommendations in this area of local foods or restaurants? Just figure I’d ask. Thanks in advance.

Take me in your luggage??

Have a blast!  :thumb:
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 07:22:16 PM »
At large public areas beware of pick pockets.  There are shifty looking ones at the Main Train Station in Rome.  Dress down not up but clean and there are telltale signs that you're an American from the way you dress.  Do a Youtube check.  I've had the best service at neighborhood joints like a trattoria or cafe etc.  Learn some Italiano.  It'll come handy when needed.   :thumb: 

If using public transport, you'll have to man up because getting on and off happens at the same time.  Imagine playing football again with a spouse in tow & w/baggage.  Better yet only have one carry on & no check in baggage.  Guess who gets to schlep your baggage around.  :grin:

If you're renting a car expect to get a driving lesson from a society that encourages movement.  An offense is your best defense.  You'll like the traffic lights there.  They're like a christmas tree at a drag strip.   :grin: :grin:

No cappucino in the afternoon.  It's coffee.  You'll get an expresso.  Americano is what you want.   
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 07:22:25 PM »
Hard to get bad food in Italy. Even at the expressway rest areas. Skip the bacon, sausage, and egg breakfasts though. They haven’t figured those out yet. No worries the other options are fabulous.
I found the Galileo Museum is Florence pretty fascinating though. Full of the history of science and basic research.

Pete

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 09:29:43 PM »
I’ve never been and it definitely on the list for this Spring Beowulf.  Please post your impressions and some pics.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 09:46:15 PM »
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 09:59:42 PM »

If you're renting a car expect to get a driving lesson from a society that encourages movement.  An offense is your best defense.  You'll like the traffic lights there.  They're like a christmas tree at a drag strip.   :grin: :grin:

:boozing:  At multi  lane stoplights the Vespas will fill in between all the cars. As soon as the light turns green they all shoot off and fill in to lanes. I was driving once in Florence trying to get to the hotel. It was extremely difficult with all the one way streets. I finally got close and merged from a single left hand lane onto a merging two or three lane road. The hotel was on the right side just after the merge. I tried twice to get over and failed both times. I was getting short of patience and on the third try I told my work buddy "hang on... I'm just going to go for it". I came around to the merge, put on my right blinker and just cranked the car over to the right. Everyone got out of the way. I parked the car in front of the hotel, got out, and had a beer at the outside cafe in front of the hotel. We were in Florence and flying out two days later to germany then home so we decided after the beer to return the car to the airport as we didn't need it. Going out of town was a piece of cake and we made it to the airport in about 15 minutes. On the way back in to the hotel the taxi only took about 15 minutes..... him driving the wrong way on all the one way streets really cut the driving time short.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 07:24:08 AM »
Our trip to Italy three years ago was a guided tour. We had never done one before, always toured on our own. I am glad I didn’t have to drive. Totally different mindset in the big cities and not sure I could have navigated on the two lane roads in the country. Maybe GPS would help?
Even if you decided to rent a car, some places are better to leave it. When we did Sorrento and the Amalfi coast we took a bus south but a boat back to Capri and Sorrento that would have required retrieving the car.
Another tip, you can watch the Rick Steves  episodes on youtube. He has done many on Italy especially Rome, Florence, and Venice among other not as well know locales. Lots of tips on places to see, stay and eat. Wish I had saw them before our trip.

Pete

Offline Steve Cas

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 07:43:34 AM »
Are you adventurous; if so, this is must lunch or snack while you are in Florence

The Art of Street Food in Florence

You can’t say you’ve been to Florence if you don't stop by one of its famous "chioschi" or street food stands where you can buy and taste Florence's street food. Commonly referred to as trippai or lampredottai (literally, the makers of trippa and lampredotto), where you can taste the best of the city's street culinary tradition, a sandwich filled with trippa or lampredotto.

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 07:53:18 AM »

Quote from: Steve Cas on Today at 01:43:34 PM
Are you adventurous; if so, this is must lunch or snack while you are in Florence

>The Art of Street Food in Florence

You can’t say you’ve been to Florence if you don't stop by one of its famous "chioschi" or street food stands where you can buy and taste Florence's street food. Commonly referred to as trippai or lampredottai (literally, the makers of trippa and lampredotto), where you can taste the best of the city's street culinary tradition, a sandwich filled with trippa or lampredotto.

Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 08:22:42 AM »
I grew up not ever having been to Italy but with my grandmother and great grandmother speaking Italian and cooking a lot talking about Italy are some of my fondest memories. I simply understood to keep eating and nodded when spoken to. Wish I’d paid more attention to them speaking. I love Italian food of all kinds and an not shy about eating tripe. I prefer any  Sangiovese for wine. I will of course post pictures and appreciate all the comments about what to look for and look out for. 

My mother Keeps telling me to watch out for the pickpockets so I will take that advice for sure. Had no idea about Florence and street food. That’s pretty neat.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 09:21:45 AM »
I was born and raised in Italy, and, to me, the best food is served at "Trattorias".
Look for Trattoria signs outside. These are small, family operated kitchens with a few tables where local workers, rather than tourists go have lunch. The food is typically homemade, delicious, and quite cheap (Guzzi content!).
Side dishes and veggies are usually displayed in glass enclosed cabinets near the entrance, in small quantities, and the menu' of the day with prices, is usually posted on a board written by hand, while first courses (pasta, soups) and meat/fish dishes are prepared after you order.
In the largest cities, English is usually no problem, in smaller cities you can get by with a word or two, if language is an issue.

When I was there, over 20 years ago now, I encountered a place in the Dolomites like that. Had a great time with the locals and great food.
Not real sure where it was though. 

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 10:30:40 AM »
Keep us informed about the - testing protocols, and when and where you need your CDC vac. cards, etc.  I ask because I hope to fly over next September.  Trying to convince a friend who (although vaccinated) doesn't want to put up with "all the testing BS" as he puts it.

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 10:59:51 AM »
Here is a great restaurant, a couple of short blocks from the Termini station, in Rome. Closed on Sunday.

http://www.termedidiocleziano.it/

Have a great time,
Nick

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 01:05:09 PM »
As recently as this past October, flying into Italy required a negative PCR test taken no earlier than 3 days prior to arrival and the filing of a digital Passenger Locator Form (dPLF) identifying where and when the traveler would be staying during his visit. Once in country, masks were required in all public venues. Upon return to the US, another negative PCR test taken no earlier than 3 days prior to arrival was required by the US.

Let’s hope the situation begins to ease in the coming months.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 01:06:11 PM by LongRanger »
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 11:15:21 AM »
If you're traveling by motorcycle without advance reservations, how could you possibly fill out a "advance locator card" or whatever.  Sounds like something from China or North Korea.  On a related matter, I recently read (on ADV I think) that if you're over 65, motorcycle rental companies in Italy/Europe require a doctors note on your fitness and capacity to ride a motorcycle? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 11:43:52 AM »
My memory from last September says you don’t need to tell your hotel data on the Passenger Locator Form, nor is completing the form needed (on a practical level) if you enter by land.  It is required to enter Italy by air and unless something changes (unlikely) you may also need to get a Green Health Pass to enter indoor restaurants and other Italian publicly accessible facilities and businesses.  This can be issued by any country in Europe including Italy.  Some countries have made provisions for non-EU visitors to get the pass based on their existing non-EU vaccination paperwork, for example I understand France will do this process at the airport.  Other countries have not done so, and some of them allow the in-country use of US vaccination cards.  Others do not. I’m not sure about Italy.  Also be advised that your last vaccination needs to have been within 9 months or the pass expires per a recent EU-wide recommendation that is being adopted by national governments.

https://italygreenpass.com/

I have not experienced any unusual proof of health status requirements by Italian motorcycle rental companies, but I’m under 65 and have been riding my own bike there for 15 years so haven’t rented in that time.  A requirement like that would not surprise me in Italy.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:11:42 PM by Tusayan »

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2022, 12:52:44 PM »
From my research, it's all driven by the insurance companies.  No surprise there.  Did find rental age limits from car rental companies, usually 70 or 75, but nothing specific for bike rentals.  As far as the vaccination requirements withing 9 months...how the hell does anyone that's already been vaccinated comply with that?  I was vaccinated as soon as I turned 65.  Not like I can go down to my doc and say "give me another one!"  Hard to believe, but it's looking like my friend was right.  I'm too old at 65 to travel overseas(?? Well, without doing it on a tour bus  :sad:) and the BS compliance level would seem to be off the chart!  You try to cross all the T's and dot all the I's and it's still not enough.  Shame.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:10:24 PM by Motormike »

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 01:05:57 PM »
I did find the "Passenger Locator" form (or whatever it's called) on line here: https://app.euplf.eu/#/      According to the IATA site, Italy recognizes the CDC vaccination card in lieu of a Green health pass.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:09:28 PM by Motormike »

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 01:14:58 PM »
According to the IATA site, Italy recognizes the CDC vaccination card in lieu of a Green health pass.

The 'problem' is that little restaurants in the middle of nowhere deal only with the local EU-resident population and don't know that.  On the other hand, they are less likely to worry about it so much  :wink:

I got the EU digital vaccination pass in Germany where it is officially not possible to get one based on the CDC card, but a practical and pleasant German pharmacist decided to do it anyway.  The German certificate therefore says I was vaccinated in Germany, which isn't correct but its to my advantage.   Answering your question, in order to extend it beyond January (when my 9 month window expires) I will need to go through the same procedure in Germany after my next arrival, for what becomes in effect a mandatory booster shot.  Or eat outside.  Or just stay home. 

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:47:33 PM by Tusayan »

Offline LongRanger

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2022, 01:22:38 PM »
No need to make a fuss about the dPLF entry requirement. It’s just a form. My 73-year old friend accompanied me to Italy in October and it was No Big Deal. She was vaccinated in February, so it had been 8 months. We are returning this coming July and have not been notified of any requirements for revaccination.

When I book motorcycle trips in Italy with Edelweiss, there’s no requirement for a Dr.’s note and no insurance denial or surcharge due to age.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:39:14 PM by LongRanger »
2012 BMW R1200R Classic

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 01:39:05 PM »
This might be the best place to start for completing the online Passenger Locator Form submission for Italy:

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/dettaglioContenutiNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=italiano&id=5412&area=nuovoCoronavirus&menu=vuoto&tab=4

The biggest issue in completing the form might be to determine in which Italian regions you will be travelling, out of the 20 regions with which foreigners rarely have much familiarity.  However, nobody outside of the airport will actually check - although you're required to carry a hard copy of the form with you when traveling nobody will likely ask you for it.

Here is some info on 9-month vaccination pass validity.  As with almost everything in the current EU situation the effect and timing is unclear at the national level, within a given country like Italy.

https://www.dw.com/en/--eu---passports-only-valid-9-months-without-booster/a-60204437
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 02:01:14 PM by Tusayan »

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2022, 02:03:03 PM »
I don't know.  Too many hoops?  By the time I'd get there, my booster would be beyond 9 months!  I'd hate to spend close to $1000 on airline tickets, travel deposits and such only to be stopped at customs (or wherever they check all this nonsense). It would seem to me a big roll of the dice, but maybe I'm overreacting.   There's no way my riding buddy would put up with any of this.  I can hear him now, "If they don't want my money, f.. em."  Anyplace else a little bit easier? Scotland, Ireland? 

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 03:52:41 PM »

Pretty much all of them,  but avoid any with photographs of the food out front.

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here