Author Topic: 1998 V11EV lights no fuel pump nor starter  (Read 738 times)

Offline sparkyrasmus

• New Egg
1998 V11EV lights no fuel pump nor starter
« on: August 03, 2021, 12:49:56 PM »
I just finished installing new brake lines on my 1998 V11EV.  I put it all back together, bled the brakes, checked for fuel in the tank, oil in the crankcase, and a full charge in the battery.  Lights work, but the fuel pump is shut off, the starter won't even click the solenoid.  Kill switch is in the run position.  ( I checked many times)   I have power to fuses 2,3,4,5,and 6.  Number 1, auxiliary power is dead.  I pulled relays and cleaned contacts.  Still a dead unit with running lights. 
I really don't know where to even start on this.  It ran a month ago, before I removed the brake lines. 
I've been checking for connections I may have disturbed whole running the new brake lines.  Unless I am missing something I have all the wires that were unconnected reconnected. 
My bike needs your wisdom, and so do I.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1998 V11EV lights no fuel pump nor starter
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 01:46:13 PM »
When you have an EV, you learn to carry extra, known good, relays.
You can also try unplugging, then replugging the relay. With luck, it might just have a bit of corrosion.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 02:03:19 PM »
Could be 1 less wire on batt or still a plug under tank apart. There is a 1/2 moon one for pump by the brake splitter.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 02:06:18 PM »
You need fuses 1 & 2 to be live, fuse 1 powers the ECU and you're not going anywhere without that live, fuse 2 the injection relay which is the one that's traditionally overloaded.

Fuses 1 & 2 are fed directly off the battery, are all the ring connectors on the battery, as I understand (I don't own a V11) there are quite a few and easy to miss one off the battery positive

OMRON  G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12, are the only known relays to withstand the load, however these are now manufactured from Unobtanium, BUT the OMRON G8HE-1A7T-R-DC12 models are, these don't have N/C contacts and can be used in all but 1 of the relay block (the starter relay requires N/C and N/O contacts)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 02:06:18 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 07:58:21 AM »
Sidestand switch?
Wire on the battery moved? (there are a few 'extra' cables on the battery that you need to get right)
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 08:23:07 AM »
Thing is Wayne he stated Fuse 1 is dead.

That fuse, from the diagram I'm looking at, is always powered from the battery and goes to the ECU, it's also used the N/O contacts of the ECU relay. Nothing else is connected via that leg, battery to fuse directly.

So either a plug (that's not shown on the diagram) or a cable left off the battery, I doubt the bike will do much without power to the ECU.

He could use a temp flying lead from the battery to the fuse to see if that helps, I'm waiting to see if he comes back with any update

Offline sparkyrasmus

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 10:05:48 AM »
Duh.  I raised the sidestand.  It runs. 
What made this fun is that the service manual I have does not take into account that 98 is a transition year.  Brakes were swapped midyear, as was the fuse block.  The manual lists seven fuses, I have six.  Thankfully they are listed on the back of the sidecover.  When I had Spiegler make brake lines for the bike, I needed to send in my old ones, along with the VIN, for the patterns.  Don't get me started on bleeding the brake system without removing and inverting the rear caliper. 

But we are having fun again.  I love this bike's ride and responsiveness.
Next project - fork seals. 

THANKS FOLKS!  :bow: :bow:
  It is great to have a group of fellow Guzzistas online to help reboot my brain every now and then.   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 10:16:52 AM by sparkyrasmus »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 12:04:46 PM »
I made this sketch to print out and carry under the side cover, it shows all the main circuits from the side cover view.
If you unplug the side stand switch on an EV the relay defaults to the closed position, unlike many other Guzzis that require the stand switch to be closed for running,
The Stand Relay is the only one that uses the Normally Closed contact. 30 - 87A
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 12:18:26 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 01:57:38 PM »
I think you owe Wayne a case o beer!! We're into rebooting bikes NOT brains, He, He, He.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 06:49:31 AM »
  Thankfully they are listed on the back of the sidecover.   

For what it's worth, an old post on relay positions 98EV.
"On mine I found the relay's and fuses for the fuel pump and ECU were opposite of factory schematics. Think it was pyro Dan who had two with serial numbers very close together and they were different. Must of had some good wine at lunch then back to work. Here's a diagram from his site. http://dpguzzi.com/cal1100i.pdf"
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=74074.0
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:50:09 AM by JoeB »
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here