Author Topic: WOW this guy can really ride a V85  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
WOW this guy can really ride a V85
« on: January 20, 2022, 04:04:31 PM »
Once again proving it is the rider and not the bike..... I wish I could ride my dirt bike as good as him.   :thumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpHlNvhw06A
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
Re: WOW this guy can really ride a V85
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 05:30:43 PM »
Cool video.  Thanks for that.

For the more experienced ADV type riders out there-- do you lower the tire pressures when you go off road like that?  If so, to what?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 07:52:50 PM by john fish »
He lost the run of himself.

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 06:29:42 PM »
Mercy! Very skillful.

I would likely need an extra shot of tequila before facing down that last obstacle!  :shocked:
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 08:07:12 PM »
At one point I was very critical of these “Adventure Bikes” and due to an extensive amount of trail riding and motocross racing as a young man, I felt they were much to heavy for any serious trail riding, as I rode a Honda XL250.
Then after watching several Utube videos of guys riding the new HD, BMW m, MG and other heavy adventure bikes m, I have admitted to myself that the issue was not the bikes weight.
It was I simply was not near as good of a rider as these guys on the heavy duel sport bikes of today.
This being admitted, I’m still not convinced they make a great 500 mile day touring machine.
However I could also be wrong about that one too🤔

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 08:07:12 PM »

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 08:32:50 PM »
Remind me not to buy a used V85 from this guy!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 09:19:38 PM »
At one point I was very critical of these “Adventure Bikes” and due to an extensive amount of trail riding and motocross racing as a young man, I felt they were much to heavy for any serious trail riding, as I rode a Honda XL250.
Then after watching several Utube videos of guys riding the new HD, BMW m, MG and other heavy adventure bikes,  I have admitted to myself that the issue was not the bikes weight.
It was I simply was not near as good of a rider as these guys on the heavy duel sport bikes of today.
This being admitted, I’m still not convinced they make a great 500 mile day touring machine.

It does take more strength to ride these bikes at that level than a light bike.  Guys at that skill level usually work out as well. 

I'm also pretty sure they honed their skills on lighter bikes or even trials bikes. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 10:02:14 PM by Ncdan »
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 11:37:01 PM »
I don't think I'd want to purchase that bike used. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 05:15:41 AM »
At one point I was very critical of these “Adventure Bikes” . . . I’m still not convinced they make a great 500 mile day touring machine.

The most comfortable ergonomics on the road, good wind protection, torquey engine, comfortable suspension.  I think the ADV bikes are ugly as original sin, but are the most versatile and capable machines on the market right now.  Think of them as UJMs but better.  I wouldn't use one like the guy in the video did because I don't have that kind of skill, but I use my KLR on all manners of pavement, dirt, and gravel.

500 mile day on pavement?  No problem for a V85tt.  1000 miles and I'd probably be happier on a Norge or modern Eldo.  But for everyday commuting or exploring, the ADV bike wins.  And you can pose outside of Starbucks with all the GS guys, too.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 07:09:38 AM »
I am a trials rider, former mostly but will likely pick it back up this year. I was ranked 2nd in NY state in the vintage series in 2008, my last year of competition. The guy in the vid is clearly a really good rider but those obstacles were really pretty easy and other than the rock pile in the beginning they were all straight shots. But he does make the bike look pretty light. I don't think I would, but I probably could, do that stuff on my V Strom. But it wouldn't be fun. I test rode a V85 a few months ago and it is a more nimble bike than a V strom and it feels lighter, and it is a bit shorter. You guys have probably seen the vids of Toni Bou and Tarres and some other guys, riding absurd stuff on GS1250s and Africa twins, and it is truly insane. But these guys are the best riders in the world.  Cool vid, thanks for posting.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 09:34:46 AM »
With what appears to be the stock bash plate too.  A braver soul than I.
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 11:06:20 AM »
Yes, I suspect it was pretty well "bashed" by the end of that video.   There was a video floating around a while back of someone single-tracking a Yamaha FJR over some pretty rough terrain.  If you have the skills, I guess you can ride a motorcycle anywhere as long as you don't mind turning it into a pile of scrap when you're finished.   I still cringe when someone uses a axe instead of a scalpel, no matter how skilled.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 08:26:16 PM »

Actually, Dan, the reason I initially purchased and then continued for years to ride my 1991 BMW R100GS was the fact (that at least for me) it was the most comfortable road bike I've owned.  I'm not an Iron Butt class rider, but I've pulled several 500 mile and a few in the 600s on this bike.  My BMW dealer east of Pittsburgh at the time considered the GS his traveling bike, and he had access to the full lineup.

With birthday #79 fast approaching (tomorrow) the Beemer has gotten slightly tall for me.  Not the easiest bike to lower, but that might have to happen ....... or sell it and shop for the 'roadster' version of the GS, the R100R.  Basically a factory-lowered airhead GS.  They show up frequently.  The first BMW Battle of the Legends in the early 1990's had the riders on the R100R.  That was a fun video ...... watching the two Number 9's, Springsteen and Nixon, duke it out.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 12:25:29 AM »
Actually, Dan, the reason I initially purchased and then continued for years to ride my 1991 BMW R100GS was the fact (that at least for me) it was the most comfortable road bike I've owned.  I'm not an Iron Butt class rider, but I've pulled several 500 mile and a few in the 600s on this bike.  My BMW dealer east of Pittsburgh at the time considered the GS his traveling bike, and he had access to the full lineup.

With birthday #79 fast approaching (tomorrow) the Beemer has gotten slightly tall for me.  Not the easiest bike to lower, but that might have to happen ....... or sell it and shop for the 'roadster' version of the GS, the R100R.  Basically a factory-lowered airhead GS.  They show up frequently.  The first BMW Battle of the Legends in the early 1990's had the riders on the R100R.  That was a fun video ...... watching the two Number 9's, Springsteen and Nixon, duke it out.

Bob
Good review Bob.
I can’t argue the fact that a lot of riders use the duels for serious touring, because I’ve never owned or even ridden one.
When one has only owned cruises style bikes and older mid peg models like the Honda customs of the 80s it’s difficult to look at an adventure bike and see the qualities that lies within.
Maybe I’ll give one a try before I age out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 12:51:18 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 04:44:34 AM »
The most I’ve done in a day on my V85 is 800 km. At that point the seat was biting, but that was the only thing.
The ‘pegs are nice and low, the cruise control is a Godsend, the stable nature of the handling means you don’t have to stare at the road surface for undulations in the corners.
A safe usable range of 470 km and dry at 500.
Narrow at the back end of the tank means your legs are at a comfortable position.

I’ve got a pretty high opinion of it as a medium sized little road bike. I will opt for it a bit more on coming rides.

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2022, 07:04:55 AM »
Happy birthday ohiorider!
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2022, 07:37:12 AM »
Happy birthday ohiorider!
Scott
Thanks!

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2022, 01:07:13 PM »
Good review Bob.
I can’t argue the fact that a lot of riders use the duels for serious touring, because I’ve never owned or even ridden one.
When one has only owned cruises style bikes and older mid peg models like the Honda customs of the 80s it’s difficult to look at an adventure bike and see the qualities that lies within.
Maybe I’ll give one a try before I age out.

One of the big things that has me wanting to trade the Bobber Sport for a V85 is the longer travel suspension. Way out here in Idaho most of the roads have seen better days. The longer travel of ADV bike just smooths out rough roads much better than shorter travel bikes. But then again I do not need much to want a new bike.  :evil:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here