Author Topic: ...to western Oklahoma [mostly photographs]  (Read 10674 times)

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
...to western Oklahoma [mostly photographs]
« on: April 07, 2015, 06:01:33 PM »

I don't know that western Oklahoma (setting aside the panhandle) will ever be  a tourist destination, but it is worth the effort and it has a landscape that is  immediately identifiable.

Kansas

Entering the Gyp Hills of Kansas (from the Gypsum mineral that is common in  the area).

Sitka, Kansas has dissolved to little more than this elevator.  Even the  railroad tracks that once carried loaded grain cars from the elevator have long  been pulled up.

I stopped to have a look at the house I saw back in 2005.  At that time  it was in precarious condition; I  didn't think there'd be much left to  see.  I was right.

2015 vs. 2005.  In another ten years, the attic will likely be  flattened, as well.

In the end, the shed-out-back (possibly the first thing to go up) may outlast  all the farm buildings.

Oklahoma

Running south on the state highway.

Fort Supply, Oklahoma dates from long before Oklahoma was a state.   Today, it's the site of the Oklahoma penitentiary.

Woodward, Oklahoma.

Watonga, Oklahoma.

Geary, Oklahoma.

A pony bridge on old Route-66.  Lucky for the health of this bridge,  this road no longer gets much truck traffic.  I-40 has long taken all that  away.

An original part of Route-66 is this molded shoulder detail; you don't see it  too much anymore.  Turning the highway into a rain gutter wasn't such a  clever idea after all.

A combination garage and diner.  You can date its closure with the  opening of the interstate highway, just a few miles to the south.

Lookeba, Oklahoma was founded by Lowe, Kelley and Baker; take the first two  letters of each, and there you are...

Binger, Oklahoma is the hometown of Johnny Bench (where he was the  valedictorian at Binger High School).

Anadarko, Oklahoma.

Apache, Oklahoma.

Scott Mountain in the Wichita Mountains.  There's paved spiral road that  goes to the top, but for some reason, the gate was closed today.

Oklahoma State Highway 49 runs through the mountains.  This is one of  the nicer roads in the state.

It's all pink granite.

The winter wheat is up and very, very green.

Mangum, Oklahoma (yes; that spelling is correct).

Vinson, Oklahoma was quite a vibrant town before the first world war.   Some of the old buildings are hanging on; but, most lots are now clear.

Elm Fork of the Red River.

Erick, Oklahoma.  Roger "King of the Road" Miller grew up here (I don't  know if he was valedictorian).

Reydon, Oklahoma.

I wish it didn't have to be, but Oklahoma has aggressively been replacing its old bridges that had lots of character with modern and fairly uninteresting  (but safer) bridges.

Laverne, Oklahoma.

Kansas

Englewood, Kansas was looking like it would be a successful regional city in  the late 1800s, but drought, fire, and a change of plans by the railroad doomed  it to a virtual ghost town.

A Kansas ranch on the western edge of the Gyp Hills.

U.S. 160 is a good way to cross Kansas.

Protection, Kansas is doing pretty well.

I had today's special (always the best suggestion): pineapple chicken and  two sides of your choice (including carrot cake and coffee or tea) all for  less than six dollars.

Typical in these small towns, you really have to look for the cafe  (that's it on the left).  It's easiest to just look for the cars parked  in front.

Protection still has its bank (the Bank of Protection) and a grocery store.   Well done!

Another dog-in-truck...

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:19:15 PM by Daniel Kalal »

oldbike54

Re: ...to western Oklahoma [mostly photographs]
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 06:15:38 PM »
 Mount Scott , and the Wichita mountains are pretty cool . There is a one peak that the locals call , er , well slang for a certain lovely part of the female anatomy , because it resembles one  ;D About the "rain guttered" stretch of RT 66 , yeah , no fun during a toad strangler while riding a 1968 441 BSA Shooting Star  :D

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »
No Meers Burgers?  Summit from Mt Scott?  Buffalo, Prairie Dogs, Elk or Longhorns?

If not, you have an excuse for another trip.   ;D
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »
As always, an interesting story told through pictures and excellent commentary.  Thanks Daniel.

I noticed that Mangum has the only tree-lined downtown of the Oklahoma photos.  I wonder if they're just lucky enough to have avoided any tornadoes?   
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:25:31 PM »
As always, an interesting story told through pictures and excellent commentary.  Thanks Daniel.

I noticed that Mangum has the only tree-lined downtown of the Oklahoma photos.  I wonder if they're just lucky enough to have avoided any tornadoes?   

Mangum is just big enough to have a city horticulture Dept.
 Deke , you are gonna have to do a trip through Eastern OK so our Eastern friends don't think all of Oklahoma looks like a Western movie set  :D

Dusty

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 09:43:22 PM »
I wonder if they're just lucky enough to have avoided any tornadoes?

It'd be a safe bet that none of the Main Streets shown has ever been hit by a tornado.  They happen, of course, but, there are lots of Oklahomans (perhaps even the majority) who have never even seen one.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:47:45 PM »
Another nice feature, besides being rain gutters, is if someone drifted off the edge, it sent them back over the centerline.  :o  ;D
Well, the designers meant well..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 09:49:04 PM »
It'd be a safe bet that none of the Main Streets shown has ever been hit by a tornado.  They happen, of course, but, there are lots of Oklahomans (perhaps even the majority) who have never even seen one.

Dang it Deke , don't blow our cover , everyone knows that tornadoes are almost a daily thing in Oklahoma  ;D Why , there goes one now  ::)

Dusty

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 09:50:42 PM »
Damn Easterners and their prejudices... ::)

As it happens, my home town in western MA got pretty flattened by one several years back.  A very, very rare occurrence around here.
Owen

2014 V7 Special

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 09:54:43 PM »
Damn Easterners and their prejudices... ::)

As it happens, my home town in western MA got pretty flattened by one several years back.  A very, very rare occurrence around here.

One of our members in North Carolina still thinks all of Oklahoma looks like a scene from the Grapes of Wrath  :D

Dusty

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 11:04:24 PM »
One of our members in North Carolina still thinks all of Oklahoma looks like a scene from the Grapes of Wrath  :D

Dusty

"Tom Joad" (Henry Fonda) never would have made it from West Oklahoma to California on a BSA Victor-based "Shooting Star", Dusty.  Everyone knows that.  He might have on the earlier BSA 500cc twin A-7 Shooting Star.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 11:08:19 PM »
"Tom Joad" (Henry Fonda) never would have made it from West Oklahoma to California on a BSA Victor-based "Shooting Star", Dusty.  Everyone knows that.  He might have on the earlier BSA 500cc twin A-7 Shooting Star.

Ralph

Maybe a Model 18 Norton . I don't think Steinbeck was ever in Oklahoma  ;)

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 11:51:34 PM »
Steinbeck traveled everywhere in his GMC Pickup V6 camper.  But he probably didn't travel in OK since he wasn't a fool to court trouble.

The Grapes of Wrath is quite a powerful story, it hurts me that many here hate the man and at the same time refer to themselves as "Okies". 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Vasco DG

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 01:42:52 AM »
Central USA blue sky plains, I love that country........

Pete

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 07:17:12 AM »
Went to a rattlesnake roundup in Mangum one time. The entire bed of a cotton wagon was covered with rattlers. And no, they don't taste like chicken. If the twisters don't get 'cha the rattlers will ;D
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 07:49:05 AM »
Quote from Oldbike54:
Dang it Deke , don't blow our cover , everyone knows that tornadoes are almost a daily thing in Oklahoma  Grin Why , there goes one now

It is just that the earthquakes have now taken over as the daily threat. :o  I grew up in rural Kansas and I was 17 before I saw my first tornado.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 08:08:12 AM »
Another enthralling travelogue Daniel.  Thanks!

You must be considered the one to ask about committed hi-mileage Stelvio ownership.  Would you share that with us also?  Do you DIY or have a dealer you entrust with service?

Thanks and keep the pics coming.  The pony bridge on 66 is my new desktop.

;-T

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 08:16:33 AM »
Daniel, your photo of Kansas 160 brought back great memories.  Two of us rode from NE Ohio and back in a big loop that included crossing much of Kansas on Rt 160.  Both machines were early 'new' Bonnevilles ... 2001 and 2003 790cc models.  Here we are taking a break.  Caption under photo  reads 'stopping along Kansas Route 160.'

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 09:36:06 AM »
Daniel, your photo of Kansas 160 brought back great memories.  Two of us rode from NE Ohio and back in a big loop that included crossing much of Kansas on Rt 160.  Both machines were early 'new' Bonnevilles ... 2001 and 2003 790cc models.  Here we are taking a break.  Caption under photo  reads 'stopping along Kansas Route 160.'

What a great photo , but Bob , everyone knows you can't tour on little MCs , good grief , where do you put the kitchen sink  ;D

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
Quote from Oldbike54:
It is just that the earthquakes have now taken over as the daily threat. :o  I grew up in rural Kansas and I was 17 before I saw my first tornado.
GliderJohn

I've never seen a tornado.  I've seen the aftermath and damage, dancing clouds, wall clouds, black sky, wind, hail, etc., etc., but never seen a tornado.

knock wood.
John L 

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 09:54:09 AM »
I've never seen a tornado.  

Yeah.  Me, either. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 11:18:07 AM »
I wish it didn't have to be, but Oklahoma has aggressively been replacing its old bridges that had lots of character with modern and fairly uninteresting  (but safer) bridges.

Don't believe everything you hear.

I've rehabbed & put up a 100 year old steel bridge.  After a bridge has stood through California Earthquakes for 100 years I'd say it's stood the test of time.

Locally there was a 100+ year old High School that the Structural Engineers had torn down because it didn't make present Earthquake standards.  The Demolition Contractor went bankrupt tearing the building down because it was so solid. 

The real problem with older bridges is they were not designed to carry the loads the Engineers now Guess is needed.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 11:37:44 AM »

The real problem with older bridges is they were not designed to carry the loads the Engineers now Guess is needed.

And, bridges with structure above the roadway are much more susceptible to damage from cars and trucks than bridges where the structure is all below the roadway.

We've lost some old through-truss bridges here due to cars and trucks hitting their structure.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »
I've never seen a tornado.  I've seen the aftermath and damage, dancing clouds, wall clouds, black sky, wind, hail, etc., etc., but never seen a tornado.

knock wood.

I have. Two in one day dancing across the farm. Awesome. Fortunately, they didn't touch down..but we have our share in Indiana.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »
Thanks for the 'photo essay'
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 01:27:56 PM »

A pony bridge on old Route-66.  Lucky for the health of this bridge,  this road no longer gets much truck traffic.  I-40 has long taken all that  away.

Some Route-66 / bridge trivia:

"The Pony Bridge at the Canadian River is 3944.33 feet long and contains 38 pony trusses. It was completed July 1, 1933."

"An interesting side note about this historic steel tress bridge is that it is featured in the 1939 classic film "The Grapes of Wrath" staring Henry Fonda. The scene where grandpa dies and is buried was shot near the west end of this bridge. Then the bridge was only 6 years old! If you watch the movie carefully you can see the Canadian River plain and the Pony Bridge in the distance."

http://www.theroadwanderer.net/66Oklahoma/dryside.htm

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 03:26:43 PM »
I saw a twister hit Altus ok from 9 or 10 miles out in the cotton fields, awesome site. Also one near fredonia ks
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline gsf12man

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 04:22:51 PM »
I have never seen one in North Dakota (tornados fairly common here)—had to go to Colorado for that. I was driving an engineer back toward Denver from the day's test-driving assignment, years ago, and we saw three of the things—seven reported that day. I also saw numerous funnel clouds that just poked out of clouds. Little damage from any of it, fortunately.
Tom K.

Suzuki V-Strom DL650A

Moto

Re:
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 05:55:55 PM »
I've seen several, though none very close. You guys get out much? (Don't recall seeing any here in Wisconsin.)

Sent from Tapatalk.

lucydad

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »
Daniel,

Wow you are a photo-moto-journalist of the first rank!  Thank you!  Love me some bridges.

How do you take these pix from the middle of the road?  No traffic?  Unknown concept here in Houston, TX area.

On the bridge topic.  When I was in Army Rotc, Corps of Engineers, at the Colorado School of Mines, back when...we got to build a Bailey Bridge.
Great fun under the wings of our esteemed Sergeant Major (35 years in Corps) and patient and knew every trick.  Loved banging it together. Then we drove our cars across and trucks and damn if it wasn't a bridge!

Well done indeed.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here